Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

I have to ask, was the Motorized Cinderella Coach the giant one kids ride in like this?

https://www.walmart.com/ip/24V-Disne...BoCvpkQAvD_BwE

If so, wow. Just wow. $20 is an embarrassingly small amount for that horse alone. Much less the horse and the carriage. I really question your husband's judgement here. What is his response to her reaction? What was he hoping to gain by basically giving her beloved toy away? My dad pulled stunts like this when I was little and it absolutely factors into our lack of a relationship now. I hope you and her work something out. Kudos to your boys for trying to stop her and being able to see what a bad idea it was.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
    DS 05/09
    DD 12/12

My first reaction was--what was he thinking taking $20 for all of that??? Like he could have gotten closer to $100 for the whole kit and caboodle.

And then-its not the money. It's her toy. DH is similar in that he is happy to get rid of everybody else's stuff. Dude, that's not how it works.

I would buy one off of Facebook, tell DH the lesson is don't do that again and let it rest. I would, however, wait until she has her fun weekend with the roller skates to see if she gets over the horse. (but only 4 months-not cool)
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05
    Percy--the wild furry child!!! 2022----
    Simon--the first King Charles cutie 2009-2022
    RIP Andy, the furry first child, 1996-2012

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

This was the carriage:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Disney-Pr...uffy/582357544

FWIW, this was at Christmas time and was completely unanticipated. Remember, DD only wanted "a hippopotamus" for Christmas (which we bought at the LA Zoo for $20!). He brought home the carriage, the horse, and these three things as well:

https://www.target.com/p/disney-prin...l/-/A-53286927

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Disney-Pr...sive/524221931

https://www.shopdisney.com/vampirina...layset-1461518

It was a RIDICULOUS Christmas. And she liked all of those things. She still has the doll. DH didn't sell it. But he sold the vanity for $5, the playset for $10 (oops, DD actually DID NOT like that set, lol).

She did like the carriage. But she didn't play with it a ton. It was in perfect condition. It was great as a "wow, that's amazing" type of present for playdates for a little girl but she hasn't mentioned missing it at all. I'm the guilty one for taking the vanity out to the garage sale because it allows for space for DD to have her new (to her) crafting table in her room (and frees up the kitchen table for dinner!).

So yesterday she didn't mention the horse at all. I do feel like there is a risk to getting another one. She's kind of made a break with it. I think the next break would be even that much harder. I didn't want the break to happen so quickly but the reality is that the horse has no long term future at our house. Maybe a few years? But its not like we'd keep it forever. It is giant and plastic and the minimalist in me really does think the best possible scenario is to be passed around from little girl to little girl and be loved forever.

Stantonhyde, I like your advice about waiting to see how she feels about her new roller skates. I think she'll love them actually and the time she spends with DH. DD was a VERY willing participant in the garage sale. She asked every person coming up the driveway if they had a little girl and would like to buy her horse. Did she fully understand? Absolutely not. I still don't think its the way I wanted it to go down. So we'll see. I do see some advantages to no reintroducing the horse--mostly the idea that there will be an eventual parting and the way this was handled will only make that more difficult.

And what I'm saying to her (because I don't want to throw DH under the bus and say "I KNOW can you believe Daddy did that!!!") is that it is just a thing. Aren't we glad we had so much fun with it for so long? So many memories. (And even as I type that I"m sad that its gone again!)

I've decided to talk to DH about it. To clear with me any big "sales" of household stuff. I'm going to do it through texts while he is at work and just express my sadness. Sometimes I'm better about doing that in writing than in person. He has recently gone through a big "Marie Kondo" kick but he's 42 and had to deal with his attachment to stuff for many years with a lot of grace from a lot of people. I do wish he had allowed DD the same privilege.

Also as an aside (because many of you were with me for some big Christmas decisions, lol!) I ended up being SO HAPPY that I got DS3's giant expensive LEGO set this Christmas! When DD had all THAT and DS1 and DS2 got a Nintendo Switch, DS3 kind of needed a wow present. I just thought I'd add that postlude!

I found a used one for $65 that's about a 2 hour drive away. Or I can pay $89 for a brand new one from Walmart. Seriously tempted... Feeling super grateful that its not one of a kind!!

Quote Originally Posted by bisous View Post
    I found a used one for $65 that's about a 2 hour drive away. Or I can pay $89 for a brand new one from Walmart. Seriously tempted... Feeling super grateful that its not one of a kind!!
    If you opt to get one, your 4 hours of time driving to pick it up plus the gas that would take is worth a lot more than the $24 difference!
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

KpbS is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Call and check your kids resale stores.
    K

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

That stinks! My dad sold my 1980s Strawberry Shortcake house in the mid to late 1990s for $20 (once my sister stopped playing with it) and it turns out the thing is now with $500 and highly collectible. Back then it was taking space in the garage.

If it were me I would have your DH buy another one from the employee store, which I am sure would be less than Wal Mart. I think you need to have this conversation with your DH. He has to know that your DD misses this toy.

I hate garage sales!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Lesson for DH - never ever sell anything without clearing it with me first!!

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

petesgirl is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Ugh, this is a hard one for me because I absolutely loathe giant toys that take up a ton of living space.
    But, we also have a few of those that I keep around because the kid's friends love them and they can occupy playdate kids for hours. I don't know what I would do ....good luck!
    Mama to :
    DS1 (July 2011)
    DD (Feb 2014-June 2015)
    DS2 (Apr 2017)

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view...Until you climb inside his skin and walk around in it."
    --Atticus Finch (To Kill A Mockingbird)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast