Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
    Mommy_Mea is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I definitely agree to look into mono or lyme, those would be my first concerns. Do you have any results for her calcium? Extreme fatigue and depression can be a symptom of elevated calcium (not common, but something I have experience with!)
    DS1 June 2009
    DS2 June 2011

Melbel is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

The description sounds like Lyme to me too, possibly with co-infections. EBV (often reactivated) is extremely common in those with Lyme. Co-infections Bartonella and Babesia can also cause the symptoms you describe, including fatigue, depression and anemia. Early diagnosis and proper treatment can make a huge difference in long-term outcome.

Here is a step by step Patient Toolkit to consider Lyme as part of the differential diagnosis: https://projectlyme.org/elisa/#15567...-2a0f336d-f98d
    Last edited by Melbel; 05-19-2019 at 01:44 PM.

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Dayzy View Post
    Please take her in to the doctor and have bloodwork done. My 11 year old DS was acting tired all the time, very cranky. I was blaming all the activities and the cruddy weather making us all feel down. By the time I gave in because he was feeling sick one morning the doctor took one look and called an ambulance. He was admitted with a blood glucose level of 620 and is a type 1 diabetic. I'll never brush anything off again.
    Fellow type 1 mom here! It’s very easy to miss this diagnosis. DS1 was diagnosed at age 2 and while I could see that something was very off about him it was hard to pin down. DS1 was hospitalized for 5 days and his intake blood sugar was 680!

OP, I’m happy blood glucose levels appear to be normal!

essnce629 is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by georgiegirl View Post
    She means hemoglobin is 13, not ferritin. (I have low ferritin and so does DS1).

Endo won’t see her unless there’s something off with thyroid or if something indicates diabetes.

There is a separate blood test for mono. There’s also a rapid test with s finger poke that takes 8 min (DD was tested last weekend)
    She can definitely still have low ferritin and a hemoglobin of 13. Mine is currently 12.6 but my ferritin is only 23 (after 2 infusions and daily beef liver capsules). If she hasn't had her ferritin checked then she needs to. Iron deficiency is more common than thyroid issues but the symptoms are the same.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

Quote Originally Posted by essnce629 View Post
    She can definitely still have low ferritin and a hemoglobin of 13. Mine is currently 12.6 but my ferritin is only 23 (after 2 infusions and daily beef liver capsules). If she hasn't had her ferritin checked then she needs to. Iron deficiency is more common than thyroid issues but the symptoms are the same.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk
    I know! Mine is in the single digits. DS1 has struggled as well because he has an abnormal hemoglobin trait. But when the OP said her DD’s iron was 13, she was referring to hemoglobin not ferritin. You can have normal hemoglobin abs low ferritin (usually with a high iron binding capacity.).
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

Just wanted to give an update and I thank everyone for the responses. DD started getting more sleep recently and she had a soccer tournament last weekend. She had to play 4 games and felt really good. Part of that I believe was the improved sleep, but the other part was actually increasing her HYDRATION. I have always educated her on the importance of increasing her fluid intake, as we live in FL. Every day she comes home from school with her 20 oz water bottle emptly and doesn't drink any more than that from 7 am to 3 pm. I told her that is not enough at all and had a long talk with her about it. But sometimes they just have to figure it out for themselves. DD said she felt great at her tournament and the one thing (other than sleep) that she noticed that was different, was the fact that her urine was clear. She said she drank a lot more than usual and really noticed a difference. She really felt a lot of energy during the games. I have been telling her this forever, but she happened to drink an extra 30 oz between games that day and really noticed a difference.

So I am not getting her tested for mono because there is no way she would have been able to play 4 games feeling as good as she did. I am chalking it up to sleep deprivation and being in a dehydrated state and I will continue to monitor how things are going. As far as the depression her mood is just so much better, it's a marked difference. I'm hoping it was just sleep deprivation but will continue to monitor.

I appreciate everyone's input.
    Last edited by jerseygirl07067; 05-27-2019 at 09:52 PM.
    Marcy

DD1 2003
    DD2 2005
    DD3 2009

Great update! I hope the good sleep continues!
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

She needs to drink a liter per hour while she is playing/practicing. She needs to drink 2 liters a day just as baseline. She has to stay hydrated vs playing catch up.
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05
    Percy--the wild furry child!!! 2022----
    Simon--the first King Charles cutie 2009-2022
    RIP Andy, the furry first child, 1996-2012

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."

♥ms.pacman♥ is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Great update! Hope the improved sleep and mood continues!!

And being in TX (already in the 80s here) I hear u on the struggle of making sure dc are hydrated. I have one kid that barely drinks water (dd) despite my nagging.

I’ve found that for sport activity Nuun tablets are really good for replacing electrolytes and I sometimes give it to my dc after they do some exercise. There is less likelihood of tired muscles etc and plus the flavor encourages them to drink . It has a bit of fizz to it. I like it better than Gatorade which is often too sugary and can cause upset stomach.

ged is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

This is a great update and good reminder for all!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4