Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default What age for caffeinated beverages?

At what age do you feel comfortable letting your kids drink caffeinated beverages regularly?

DD is 13 and she wants chike (high protein coffee powder) so she can make breakfast smoothies. She loves coffee flavor, and she could benefit from protein powder. (She’s a swimmer and doesn’t eat much meat.). I’m just wondering when it’s okay to have daily caffeine in the morning. I’m not a coffee or tea drinker (yes I’m weird), so I have no frame of reference. Each serving has 20 grams of protein and maybe 120 mg of caffeine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

o_mom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

DS2 is 14 and has regular coffee about once a week or less, mainly Saturday morning. We have a rule that he can't sweeten it, so he just has milk in it. I am less concerned about caffeine than all the sugar in many energy drinks. I also don't want him dependent on it (says the woman who drinks multiple cups of tea daily).

sariana is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I would wait until she’s nearly finished growing. Caffeine can stunt growth. Other than that I wouldn’t worry about one drink a day.
    DS '04 "Boogaboo"
    DD '08 "Lilybear"

Kindra178 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I would avoid whey protein at all costs - can cause acne. Assuming that product doesn’t have whey protein, 1 drink a day is no big deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

DS lives on whey protein smoothies--picky eater. And has very little acne. I think it depends on the kid. I don't let my kids drink caffeine--growth. I didn't drink coffee until I was in my late 20s. And not lots of soda before then. beer...that was another story
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05
    Percy--the wild furry child!!! 2022----
    Simon--the first King Charles cutie 2009-2022
    RIP Andy, the furry first child, 1996-2012

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."

Quote Originally Posted by Kindra178 View Post
    I would avoid whey protein at all costs - can cause acne. Assuming that product doesn’t have whey protein, 1 drink a day is no big deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    What kind of protein powder would you recommend instead?

DD is probably close to fully grown at 5’3”. I think she’ll top out at 5’4”. If I tell her the caffeine could stunt her growth, she will probably stay away from it. She would love to be tall.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

ellies mom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default What age for caffeinated beverages?

My oldest has had the occasional coffee 2-3 times a week since she was probably 13. She started because it helped with headaches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by ellies mom; 05-25-2019 at 02:18 AM.
    Veronica

Miss Ellie 11/03
    Baby Audrey 4/08

nfceagles is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I’m biased because I don’t drink coffee at all, so I dread being dependent on it the way so many people seem to be. For that reason, I wouldn’t let me child use that particular powder. They occasionally drink caffeinated sodas while out for dinner at a party but morning coffee everyday will have to wait until they’re old enough to live in their own place and pay for it themselves. I’m sure I’m out of the ordinary but I hate coffee so it’s an issue for me.

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

That’s well under the limits considered ok for caffeine per the Mayo Clinic google result.
    Mine started drinking one cup of coffee/ day in 9th grade.
    I drink 1 cup of coffee/ day. I’m not addicted to it. I like it but it isn’t needed for energy or anything else. I can easily skip it. I wouldn’t stress.

trcy is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by nfceagles View Post
    I’m biased because I don’t drink coffee at all, so I dread being dependent on it the way so many people seem to be. For that reason, I wouldn’t let me child use that particular powder. They occasionally drink caffeinated sodas while out for dinner at a party but morning coffee everyday will have to wait until they’re old enough to live in their own place and pay for it themselves. I’m sure I’m out of the ordinary but I hate coffee so it’s an issue for me.

I am a coffee drinker and totally agree with you. OP, is there another coffee flavored protein powder without caffeine she could use instead?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Baby Bargains mobile app
    DD 12/10
    DS 10/15

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast