Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    doberbrat is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Anyone watching the Bruins game?

Where did the STL goalie go??? I'm not really a hockey fan
    dd1 10/05
    dd2 11/09
    and ... a mini poodle!

You mean at the end of the game? A team will pull their goalie to play when they're desperate to score, giving them an extra player on the ice but then there's no one to guard their goal.

I'm not really a hockey fan either but have been following recent games since the Bruins were doing so well.
    Mommy to 2 DS's (2003 and 2007)

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

The pulling of the goalie gives the losing team a one man advantage. There are usually 5 men per side on the ice, plus the goalie so with the goalie pulled it gives the team the advantage of having 6 scoring men on the ice since goalies don’t (usually) score in hockey. They can pull the goalie at pretty much anytime during a game where the team thinks they can use the extra man advantage to their advantage, but most of the time they just do it within the last minute to 90 seconds of the game.

That game was pretty close tbh until the very end, and I hope the series continues to be that way. I like a good underdog and this year is a good one for that as St. Louis was in last place on January 3rd and statistically if the team isn’t in a playoff spot at American Thanksgiving (which St. Louis wasn’t.....they fired their coach a few days before) they don’t make the playoffs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

doberbrat is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Got it thanks! SO not my sport but everyone watches the playoffs right?

One more question - are they not required to have the helmets? When 1 guys helmet came off, he kept going then checked an opponent and his head came SO close to hitting the ice. The Blue's goalie managed to loose his helmet (and stick??) at one point too.

TIA
    dd1 10/05
    dd2 11/09
    and ... a mini poodle!

I'm watching only because I'm in St.Louis and this is the first time in my lifetime they have made it so far (0 cups and I think only 1 other time playing for it, like in the 70s..) I went to my first game with DH at the end of Dec when they were really bad, I think they lost 6-0 that game. Ironically DH kept saying "they actually have a lot of good players, they really shouldn't be this bad..."

IMO Hockey is so boring with so many dumb (and confusing) rules, seriously probably my least favorite sport besides basketball. i do hope the Blues win but I will be really excited for hockey to be over either way!
    Angie

Mom to
    DD- 9/09-9/09
    DS- 2011 DS2- 2012 DS3- 2015 DD-2019

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by doberbrat View Post
    Got it thanks! SO not my sport but everyone watches the playoffs right?

One more question - are they not required to have the helmets? When 1 guys helmet came off, he kept going then checked an opponent and his head came SO close to hitting the ice. The Blue's goalie managed to loose his helmet (and stick??) at one point too.

TIA
    I was kind of amazed that Torey Krug didn’t get a penalty for completing a check without a helmet on. He and David Perron of the Blues had gotten in a scrap at the other end of the goal and Perron pulled off his helmet and then he went and checked/charged the other guy from the Blues. Helmets have been mandatory for any player drafted after 1995 iirc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

smilequeen is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

They pull the goalie to add an extra man to try and score and tie the game. It’s a risk, but sometimes it works.

Krug was an idiot for what he did without a helmet, but he can if he wants.

Hockey is the best! Go Blues!!
    Mama to my boys (04,07,11)

Twoboos is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Definitely watching this series! That was a great game. Krug's hit was epic lol.

Go Bruins - It's been too long since we've had a new trophy here in New England!!
    Last edited by Twoboos; 05-29-2019 at 04:32 PM. Reason: Silly Typo!
    "Every mother needs a wife." - Amy Poehler, Yes Please

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I can't imagine thinking hockey has confusing rules and is boring, but everyone has their own perspective. If you have ever been to a live game you would love it. The rules are pretty simple, and once you watch it a bit you'll mostly figure it out, it's the fastest game to watch but playoff hockey is so exciting.

Pulling the goalie can work, not always though, just because you have an extra skater doesn't guarantee a goal. When you are already down a goal and there is 3 min or less left, they will often try to get the tie goal to force overtime, if you get scored on again, you were already losing and there are no tie's. Usually it happens with 2 min left or less.

I'm not a fan of either team, but being a Blackhawks fan, I dislike St. Louis more, so Bruins it is!

Twoboos is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by mom2binsd View Post
    I'm not a fan of either team, but being a Blackhawks fan, I dislike St. Louis more, so Bruins it is!
    Wow that very rarely happens, that someone chooses to cheer for a New England team. We're used to being universally hated, so thanks!
    "Every mother needs a wife." - Amy Poehler, Yes Please

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast