♥ms.pacman♥ is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default Custom closet for kids’ closet?

Has anybody every had custom closet (eg California Closets or similar) done for their kids?

Am considering doing it for my DD (age 8). I am thinking cubbies/shelves, built-in hamper drawer, shallow drawers as well as clothing rods. She has a large walk-in closet but gets used very little. She can’t reach 2 of the 3 rods to hang clothes. There are no shelves so it’s just a mess of Rubbermaid plastic drawer tings that she never uses.

My dd has a ton of clothes - largely bc she is so petite and skinny and she is very slow to outgrow things (opposite of my ds).

In our master bedroom we had a custom closet done thru Costco and we love it to pieces. It was about $5k, back in 2015 and it is worth every penny. Our closet looks amazing and it helps keeps everything organized. I always thought about doing one for the kids someday .

Curious to hear others Thoughts. Main risk is ensuring dd would use it.

For a kid whose needs will probably change I would do something like Elfa so you can rearrange in a few years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

marinkitty is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

We used California Closets for all three of our kids' closets and they have held up very well and transitioned well as the kids have grown. The shelves are adjustable, which we have done a couple of times as their sizing and needs changed. I don't remember at all what it cost as it was part of a large renovation, but we priced out a number of solutions - cabinet maker, California Closets, Elfa, Home Depot and I felt like CA Closets was the best value for something that looked nice and would endure. The designer who came out to our house was very good at recommending layouts and all three kids have very different closets (old historic home).

Quote Originally Posted by marinkitty View Post
    We used California Closets for all three of our kids' closets and they have held up very well and transitioned well as the kids have grown. The shelves are adjustable, which we have done a couple of times as their sizing and needs changed. I don't remember at all what it cost as it was part of a large renovation, but we priced out a number of solutions - cabinet maker, California Closets, Elfa, Home Depot and I felt like CA Closets was the best value for something that looked nice and would endure. The designer who came out to our house was very good at recommending layouts and all three kids have very different closets (old historic home).
    Same for us. We put CC in all of the bedrooms. The guest room was just the standard as it’s depth deep closet style, whereas our master is walk in closet. The kids have wire mesh drawers, 3-4 drawers and different shelving needs.

It really helped them to be more independent to find their clothes, dress themselves, etc. and now my nearly 8 year old puts away all of his clothes from laundry basket. Everything has its place that he knows.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Mummy to DS1-6/11 and DS2-1/14

smilequeen is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Mine have them. Boys are probably simpler but it was pretty easy to design with future needs in mind.
    Mama to my boys (04,07,11)

If you want a less expensive option, Rubbermaid Configurations is compatible with Elfa accessories. You could have a handyman install the tracks and then arrange the shelves however you want them - and it gives you the flexibility to change it as she gets older. https://smile.amazon.com/Rubbermaid-...s%2C166&sr=8-3

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by candaceb View Post
    If you want a less expensive option, Rubbermaid Configurations is compatible with Elfa accessories. You could have a handyman install the tracks and then arrange the shelves however you want them - and it gives you the flexibility to change it as she gets older. https://smile.amazon.com/Rubbermaid-...s%2C166&sr=8-3
    Yes to this! My parents put in a Rubbermaid system in my childhood room 25 years ago and it is still going strong. We ended up putting an Elfa system in Dd1’s room in 2009 and we have been happy with it as well. I would’ve done Rubbermaid again, but we got the Elfa one for something like 50% off due to their organization sale, and an Oprah 25-30% off promo they had that year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

We used Elfa in all the closets and we change them out as needed. kids have nice drawers, some dress spots for DD, and I noticed one side is especially messy tonight. We hope to get some more stuff in the August sale which should include Elfa.

Quote Originally Posted by candaceb View Post
    We put these in all 4 of our bedroom closets and they have been fantastic. We ordered 4 sets and mixed and matched them to make 4 very different configurations. Dd2 has very low hanging rods and shelves so she can easily reach everything in her closet, Dd1 has different hanging rod heights and lots of shelves to store puzzles and completed artwork, DS has a very minimalist closet, etc. We were able to get rid of dressers completely and just use closets for all clothing, which has been great! Definitely recommend.
    Allison

DD1 11/05
    DS 04/08
    DD2 11/11

We have Elfa for the kids' closets. My DH is handy and he loves the install of Elfa over the Rubbermaid and the product itself (not a knock on it - just easier). We used the Rubbermaid at our old house and DH swore he would never do that install again.

DD1 MiniMoo 11/10
    DD2 MiniMoo2 9/13

“I have certain rules I live by. My first rule I don't believe anything the government tells me. and I don't take very seriously the media, or the press, in this country." - George Carlin