JustMe is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Thoughts on Planet Fitness free summer gym use for teens?

So Planet Fitness (gym) is offering free summer memberships for teens ages 15-18. We actually have a new PF that is very close to my house. This would be great for my daughter. However, in looking at general reviews of PF,there are complaints of PF continuing to bill credit cards after people stopped their memberships, etc. I don't know what is required for the free teen summer offer, but I am guessing they will ask for a credit card and have some reason why this is necessary.

Any thoughts or experience with this?
    lucky single mom to 20 yr old dd and 17 yr old ds through 2 very different adoption routes

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I’ve wondered about that financial aspect too and told ds1 he needed to call and ask. The website just has parents have to sign a waiver but I want to be sure. At our PF they don’t even take credit cards. Has to be a debit card. Because of that, we’ve refused to join as adults. We even offered to pay in cash and they said no. Well, I’m not giving them basically access to my bank account. So, I’ll wait to hear what you find out and conversely I’ll let you know if ds1 finds anything out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    I’ve wondered about that financial aspect too and told ds1 he needed to call and ask. The website just has parents have to sign a waiver but I want to be sure. At our PF they don’t even take credit cards. Has to be a debit card. Because of that, we’ve refused to join as adults. We even offered to pay in cash and they said no. Well, I’m not giving them basically access to my bank account. So, I’ll wait to hear what you find out and conversely I’ll let you know if ds1 finds anything out.

Thanks! I will try to call them tomorrow. I do not want to give them access to anything, based on the reviews I have read! Its frustrating b/c it would be so great; on the other hand, seems to good to be true and you know how that goes...
    lucky single mom to 20 yr old dd and 17 yr old ds through 2 very different adoption routes

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I think a bigger issue might also be that without supervision teens can injure themselves using the equipment incorrectly, so many people use weights and machines in ways that they can pull muscles/twist something/hurt their back etc. I've seen people imitating incorrect form so often. No idea what the atmosphere is at yours, I know some can be very obnoxious, others fine. Without a certified staff member looking out for you it may turn out poorly. Growing bodies need close supervision for workouts.

Quote Originally Posted by mom2binsd View Post
    I think a bigger issue might also be that without supervision teens can injure themselves using the equipment incorrectly, so many people use weights and machines in ways that they can pull muscles/twist something/hurt their back etc. I've seen people imitating incorrect form so often. No idea what the atmosphere is at yours, I know some can be very obnoxious, others fine. Without a certified staff member looking out for you it may turn out poorly. Growing bodies need close supervision for workouts.
    Thanks, this is a concern of mine, but I do think that it would still be worth if for my dd. I am going to lay out for her why she needs to be careful and not take chances. I know she can still use equipment incorrectly, but I think it could do her so much good I would risk that and make it clear she needs to not do anything she is unsure of. I do worry about who else may be in the club/atmosphere...so would check that out and she would only go with friends.

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

They are offering teen classes, per the website. Mine is a regular exerciser so I’m not worried about his form with weights. He mostly plans to run on the treadmill anyway.

WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I asked if my DD (13) could go with me, and yes, if she gets a membership she can be with me, or if I get a black card, she can also join me. Either way 13-14 yo’s need to be with a parent. I think it’ll be a good thing to do together. Unsure about the cc thing, but we have had good experiences without any cc problems .