Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5
Results 41 to 45 of 45
  1. #41
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    North-East
    Posts
    3,897

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cuca_ View Post
    OP, if you are going to request an IEP, I would send the letter now and get the process started. IME school district offices are open and working for several weeks after school is over. Once you submit your request, the school has to follow a specific timeframe. You want this timeframe to start running ASAP, so that if your daughter qualifies, the IEP is in place as early as possible in the school year. I would also submit any evaluations and diagnosis at the meeting. While they are not binding, the school must take them into consideration.

    Good luck!


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Agree with above. I know you mentioned schools been out a week or so. Send letter in now, so ideally DD May have something in place by late Fall. Vs starting process first week of school and services likely wonít be in place till after Xmas break which is practically halfway done of year.

    I know my district school front offices is open for whole month of July on reduced schedule. This is so to deal with last min new student admission, medical info, and a zillion other things.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Mummy to DS1-6/11 and DS2-1/14

  2. #42
    niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    CA.
    Posts
    21,805

    Default update on dd's 504 saga

    Quote Originally Posted by DualvansMommy View Post
    Agree with above. I know you mentioned schools been out a week or so. Send letter in now, so ideally DD May have something in place by late Fall. Vs starting process first week of school and services likely wonít be in place till after Xmas break which is practically halfway done of year.

    I know my district school front offices is open for whole month of July on reduced schedule. This is so to deal with last min new student admission, medical info, and a zillion other things.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Unless a school district has evaluation teams that work over the summer, the evaluation wonít start until school starts back. OP, check with your school district.

    The OPs school is already on vacation.Here, the letter will not be acted on until school starts back, an assessment plan would be sent home and then the 60 day timeline to evaluate would start when the signed assessment plan is returned to school. We donít do evaluations over the summer as the staff that do them arenít working. If an evaluation is started 30 days before summer vacation, it is not due until 30 days after school starts. Part of this is legal to give 60 day time frame and we are required by law to do several observations in the school setting. The 60 days does not include vacation days.


    Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    Last edited by niccig; 06-05-2019 at 01:38 AM.

  3. #43
    cuca_ is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    .
    Posts
    2,952

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by niccig View Post
    Unless a school district has evaluation teams that work over the summer, the evaluation wonít start until school starts back. OP, check with your school district.

    The OPs school is already on vacation.Here, the letter will not be acted on until school starts back, an assessment plan would be sent home and then the 60 day timeline to evaluate would start when the signed assessment plan is returned to school. We donít do evaluations over the summer as the staff that do them arenít working. If an evaluation is started 30 days before summer vacation, it is not due until 30 days after school starts. Part of this is legal to give 60 day time frame and we are required by law to do several observations in the school setting. The 60 days does not include vacation days.


    Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    I think this varies by state and by district. IME, some states do have some teams that work over the summer, and these matters are taken care of despite school not being in session. We've had meetings and evaluations after school has ended in two different states. In fact, the federal regulations call for 60 calendar days, and the timeframe is not paused by summer vacation. That said, I believe that States can legislate differently and have a longer or shorter timeframe, and include language that provides for business or school days. OP will need to check with her school district to see what the procedure is like there.

  4. #44
    niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    CA.
    Posts
    21,805

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cuca_ View Post
    I think this varies by state and by district. IME, some states do have some teams that work over the summer, and these matters are taken care of despite school not being in session. We've had meetings and evaluations after school has ended in two different states. In fact, the federal regulations call for 60 calendar days, and the timeframe is not paused by summer vacation. That said, I believe that States can legislate differently and have a longer or shorter timeframe, and include language that provides for business or school days. OP will need to check with her school district to see what the procedure is like there.
    Yes this is why I told OP to check with her school district. In CA, all timelines donít include vacation days.


    Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

  5. #45
    zukeypur is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    3,741

    Default

    I am on a web conference right now with Texas Parent 2 Parent. The presenter recommended contacting Disability Rights Texas for legal support.
    https://www.disabilityrightstx.org/en/home/

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •