Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Quote Originally Posted by cuca_ View Post
    OP, if you are going to request an IEP, I would send the letter now and get the process started. IME school district offices are open and working for several weeks after school is over. Once you submit your request, the school has to follow a specific timeframe. You want this timeframe to start running ASAP, so that if your daughter qualifies, the IEP is in place as early as possible in the school year. I would also submit any evaluations and diagnosis at the meeting. While they are not binding, the school must take them into consideration.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Agree with above. I know you mentioned schools been out a week or so. Send letter in now, so ideally DD May have something in place by late Fall. Vs starting process first week of school and services likely won’t be in place till after Xmas break which is practically halfway done of year.

I know my district school front offices is open for whole month of July on reduced schedule. This is so to deal with last min new student admission, medical info, and a zillion other things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Mummy to DS1-6/11 and DS2-1/14

niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Default update on dd's 504 saga

Quote Originally Posted by DualvansMommy View Post
    Agree with above. I know you mentioned schools been out a week or so. Send letter in now, so ideally DD May have something in place by late Fall. Vs starting process first week of school and services likely won’t be in place till after Xmas break which is practically halfway done of year.

I know my district school front offices is open for whole month of July on reduced schedule. This is so to deal with last min new student admission, medical info, and a zillion other things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Unless a school district has evaluation teams that work over the summer, the evaluation won’t start until school starts back. OP, check with your school district.

The OPs school is already on vacation.Here, the letter will not be acted on until school starts back, an assessment plan would be sent home and then the 60 day timeline to evaluate would start when the signed assessment plan is returned to school. We don’t do evaluations over the summer as the staff that do them aren’t working. If an evaluation is started 30 days before summer vacation, it is not due until 30 days after school starts. Part of this is legal to give 60 day time frame and we are required by law to do several observations in the school setting. The 60 days does not include vacation days.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    Last edited by niccig; 06-05-2019 at 01:38 AM.

cuca_ is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by niccig View Post
    Unless a school district has evaluation teams that work over the summer, the evaluation won’t start until school starts back. OP, check with your school district.

The OPs school is already on vacation.Here, the letter will not be acted on until school starts back, an assessment plan would be sent home and then the 60 day timeline to evaluate would start when the signed assessment plan is returned to school. We don’t do evaluations over the summer as the staff that do them aren’t working. If an evaluation is started 30 days before summer vacation, it is not due until 30 days after school starts. Part of this is legal to give 60 day time frame and we are required by law to do several observations in the school setting. The 60 days does not include vacation days.

I think this varies by state and by district. IME, some states do have some teams that work over the summer, and these matters are taken care of despite school not being in session. We've had meetings and evaluations after school has ended in two different states. In fact, the federal regulations call for 60 calendar days, and the timeframe is not paused by summer vacation. That said, I believe that States can legislate differently and have a longer or shorter timeframe, and include language that provides for business or school days. OP will need to check with her school district to see what the procedure is like there.

niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Quote Originally Posted by cuca_ View Post
    I think this varies by state and by district. IME, some states do have some teams that work over the summer, and these matters are taken care of despite school not being in session. We've had meetings and evaluations after school has ended in two different states. In fact, the federal regulations call for 60 calendar days, and the timeframe is not paused by summer vacation. That said, I believe that States can legislate differently and have a longer or shorter timeframe, and include language that provides for business or school days. OP will need to check with her school district to see what the procedure is like there.
    Yes this is why I told OP to check with her school district. In CA, all timelines don’t include vacation days.

I am on a web conference right now with Texas Parent 2 Parent. The presenter recommended contacting Disability Rights Texas for legal support.
    https://www.disabilityrightstx.org/en/home/

PZMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I was just wondering how things were going for your DD this year?

I haven't read all of the replies, but everyone I know in our district who hired an attorney got what they wanted. Sad, but true.
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5