Thread: Summer Learning

infocrazy is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Summer Learning

I have always had my kids do bridge books over the summer. My oldest will be starting high school in the fall and there is no 8 to 9 book. I still want him to do something everyday over the summer. Any ideas?
    Jen

DS in X-Small 7/12, Medium 5/07, and Large 7/05, one DD 3/10, and our DS 4/09 watching over us.

KpbS is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

We have done those too and I saw the same the other day. I’m making my own with some writing, some math work, and some current events reading and reflections. Another option. Would be a vocabulary workbook to build skills for future testing.
    K

squimp is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Workbook for his math level?

klwa is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

How about something like Khan Academy for math? That was kind of my plan for DS this summer.
    -Kris
    DS (9/05)
    DD (8/08)
    DD (9/12)

Quote Originally Posted by klwa View Post
    How about something like Khan Academy for math?
    This is what we've done the past couple of years. 15 minutes (minimum) of Khan Academy. The girls like it, and often use it for more than 15 minutes.
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

I just set up a Google classroom for my kids and their first assignment is thinking of summer ideas. In the past we have done 10 pages, started when they were little and 10 work book pages took little time. We have had a list including read for x minutes or pages depending on the child. Color a picture, dot to dot, Mad Libs, recent additions are plan an outting, Kahn academy and we were talking about open source lectures and things they might be interested in. Research garden plants, draw up or write a plan of something they want to make in Minectaft, etc. My plans are to use the Google classroom to keep track of what they do since I have started back to work.

sariana is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Check out Newsela.com too. (In addition to Khan Academy, which is great.) Newsela curates stories from all over on all topics. They have quizzes and suggested writing assignments. There actually is a summer program you can sign up for. Articles can be adjusted by reading level (up to grade 12), and some are available in Spanish too.
    DS '04 "Boogaboo"
    DD '08 "Lilybear"

jgenie is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by sariana View Post
    Check out Newsela.com too. (In addition to Khan Academy, which is great.) Newsela curates stories from all over on all topics. They have quizzes and suggested writing assignments. There actually is a summer program you can sign up for. Articles can be adjusted by reading level (up to grade 12), and some are available in Spanish too.
    Thank you for sharing! This looks great!