Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Last minute Yellowstone trip

I’ve decided I really want to take the kids to Yellowstone and maybe Teton this summer. Stantonhyde, I’ve read your excellent travel accounts. Here’s the thing. I don’t want to stay in the parks. Even if I had the time and energy to haunt the website and call daily, the park hotels have no air conditioning, no WiFi, little cell service. Usually this would be no big deal. We’re all nature lovers, hikers, and campers, but I’m having some medical issues, which is why I want to do this trip now, even though I don’t have time to plan, and why I need to do as much of it in air conditioning as I can and with daily ability to contact the outside world. We can spend up to two weeks on this trip, though I’d prefer to keep it to a week, but there’s no rush to see the whole park in two days. We can spend 4 or 5, and time in the car isn’t the end of the world. Also, we won’t be doing any strenuous hiking. Can anybody help me plan a trip that enables us to stay outside the park each night and still get to see everything? West Yellowstone seems close to the geysers, and Gardiner seems close to the Mammoth Hot Springs area. What about the lake area or the Lamar valley? I’m tempted to take a tour from Jackson, but I think the kids will be happier if we have freedom to operate independently Any suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

nfceagles is online now Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I don’t know how easy it will be to get reservations but how about this idea. Picture Yellowstone as a figure 8

Base out of West Yellowstone
    Day 1- Do the northern half of the 8.
    Day 2- Explore West Yellowstone.
    Day 3- Do the southern half of the 8 (skipping Old Faithful if needed)
    Day 4- Pack up and drive from West Yellowstone through the Park to Grand Tetons, stopping at Old Faithful on the way. See some things in the northern portion of GT as time allows. Stop in Jackson.

Base out of Jackson
    Day 5- Explore Grand Tetons
    Day 6- Explore Grand Tetons
    Day 7- Explore Jackson

We did an RV trip from SLC to W Yellowstone to GT to Jackson a couple summers ago so I could fill in with more details. Just trying to brainstorm how to see it all from hotels outside the parks. I think Lamar Valley will be the hardest to get to, especially if you want to hit it early in the morning. My plan doesn’t really figure that out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

If you want to keep a base in Jackson you could do two or three days in Grand Tetons and then do a day or two in Yellowstone. It is about 2 hours with minimal traffic to Old Faithful from Jackson (my in-laws live an hour south of Jackson so we have done day trips to Yellowstone and while we don’t get to see the whole park we still get to see some stuff especially when it isn’t crowded; we like mid to late August vs. early July as well because most of the schools are back in session (our school district doesn’t start until a week before Labor Day or the day after).

Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

What about Cooke City as a base for the Lamar valley? Might that work?

ETA: This is the tour I was thinking about booking— or maybe I could just use the itinerary to plan my own trip, which I would vastly prefer. What does this tour leave out? I definitely do want to do some short, easy hikes with the kids, maybe swim in the boiling river. If we added another day or two to explore on our own, what does this tour skip that we want to do or see?

https://www.getyourguide.com/-t53060...lowstoneHotels
    Last edited by 123LuckyMom; 05-23-2019 at 09:09 AM.

nfceagles is online now Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Cooke City looks like it would work well. I haven’t been there to vouch for it.

We parked our RV at a campground in West Yellowstone and rented a car for our drives into the park. One night we packed an overnight bag and stayed in the hotel in Canyon Village. They don’t have AC but are otherwise modern and new. Close to an eatery and market too. From there we got up early the next morning and drove to the Lamar Valley and back. If you don’t mind one night in a park hotel, that might work. Just wanted to throw it out there to generate ideas.

I don’t have time at the moment to look through that tour.

I hear you on the wifi, pool etc. Just know that you won't need AC in Yellowstone or Jackson really. It gets very cool at night. When I backpack in the mountains in the summer, I often wear long underwear to sleep. But you want locations outside the park, so let's look at that:

West Yellowstone is a great base for the Southern part of the Yellowstone figure 8. There isn't much in West itself. I do recommend that 3 bears inn or whatever the hotel was where we stayed. You can drive down to the Herriman Ranch and do some uber flat hiking there and see some cool stuff. But I would just stay in West and focus on Yellowstone. You could do that southern part in 2 days easily. Just focus on the eastern part--so the drive up to Old Faithful. The Firehole River Drive, the geyser basins, Old Faithful, and the walk around OF are not to be missed. Truly amazing. And that's all just gentle walking. You could do that all in a day if you push it.

Then drive up the western part to Mammoth Hot Springs/Gardner. Stop along the way at various geyser type things. You could take a day to do this or just half a day.

Stay in Gardner and see Mammoth and Grand Canyon of Yellowstone. 1-2 days. Mammoth is a quick look--like maybe an hour. Grand Canyon takes more time. But you can do this all in one day if you want.

I guess you could just do Mammoth and Canyon in a day and then stay in Cook City. I dunno. Cook City is small. See if you can get a hotel there. On the plus side, you would be driving to/from Cook City in the evening and early morning which gives you a better chance to see the wolves in the Lamar Valley.

Then drive along that Eastern part of the north figure 8 and see the Lake and West Thumb Areas and continue on to Jackson. That will take a whole day.

Stay in Jackson--I have travel accounts of kids in Jackson as well so you can look at those. I would stay at the Virginian or at the cabins at Dornans. You can see GTNP in 2 days. Add another day for Jackson.

I don't recommend tours in Yellowstone--you can drive yourself around and do the same things. Have you looked at the park newsletter at the nps.gov website? It will have all the info on road closures, Ranger programs, hikes, where you can eat in the parks etc. That is the biggest help for planning.

For last minute trips, I just tell myself that this may not be the ideal trip, but it will still be a good trip and you will see what you see.
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05
    Percy--the wild furry child!!! 2022----
    Simon--the first King Charles cutie 2009-2022
    RIP Andy, the furry first child, 1996-2012

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."

Quote Originally Posted by StantonHyde View Post
    I hear you on the wifi, pool etc. Just know that you won't need AC in Yellowstone or Jackson really. It gets very cool at night. When I backpack in the mountains in the summer, I often wear long underwear to sleep. But you want locations outside the park, so let's look at that:

West Yellowstone is a great base for the Southern part of the Yellowstone figure 8. There isn't much in West itself. I do recommend that 3 bears inn or whatever the hotel was where we stayed. You can drive down to the Herriman Ranch and do some uber flat hiking there and see some cool stuff. But I would just stay in West and focus on Yellowstone. You could do that southern part in 2 days easily. Just focus on the eastern part--so the drive up to Old Faithful. The Firehole River Drive, the geyser basins, Old Faithful, and the walk around OF are not to be missed. Truly amazing. And that's all just gentle walking. You could do that all in a day if you push it.

Then drive up the western part to Mammoth Hot Springs/Gardner. Stop along the way at various geyser type things. You could take a day to do this or just half a day.

Stay in Gardner and see Mammoth and Grand Canyon of Yellowstone. 1-2 days. Mammoth is a quick look--like maybe an hour. Grand Canyon takes more time. But you can do this all in one day if you want.

I guess you could just do Mammoth and Canyon in a day and then stay in Cook City. I dunno. Cook City is small. See if you can get a hotel there. On the plus side, you would be driving to/from Cook City in the evening and early morning which gives you a better chance to see the wolves in the Lamar Valley.

Then drive along that Eastern part of the north figure 8 and see the Lake and West Thumb Areas and continue on to Jackson. That will take a whole day.

Stay in Jackson--I have travel accounts of kids in Jackson as well so you can look at those. I would stay at the Virginian or at the cabins at Dornans. You can see GTNP in 2 days. Add another day for Jackson.

I don't recommend tours in Yellowstone--you can drive yourself around and do the same things. Have you looked at the park newsletter at the nps.gov website? It will have all the info on road closures, Ranger programs, hikes, where you can eat in the parks etc. That is the biggest help for planning.

For last minute trips, I just tell myself that this may not be the ideal trip, but it will still be a good trip and you will see what you see.
    This is really helpful. I’ll definitely look at the newsletters. We’re planning to go mid to late August. I’m very worried about the A/C. I also live in a place where it gets cool at night in the summer. You used to never need air conditioning, ever, but nowadays we do get heat waves where the temperatures don’t go down far enough to compensate for the heat of the day, and after three days, the heat buildup can be really bad. And even in previous years, the house would be hot in the evening before the temps went down. Is it really, truly, always the case that it’s cool in those hotel rooms in the evenings?

Meanwhile, just in case, I’ve reserved a room in West Yellowstone at the place you said you stayed in your trip report, Clubhouse West. I’ll look at 3 Bears, too, and hotels in the other locations. That way I’ll know I can do the trip even if I can’t get park rooms or chicken out about staying in the park.

It’s looking like flights to and from Bozeman are cheaper and significantly shorter/easier than to Jackson. Now I’m thinking:

Option 1:

Day 1 (Saturday): arrive Bozeman and drive to West Yellowstone. (1.5 hours)

Day 2: West Yellowstone hotel to
    lower west section. Start at Old Faithful and drive back up with stops back to West Yellowstone.

Day 3: West Yellowstone hotel to upper west section. End in Gardiner to stay over night.

Day 4: Gardiner hotel to upper east section. Mammoth Springs and Canyon. Exit the park at dusk to see wildlife in Lamar Valley. Overnight in Cooke City.

Day 5: Cooke City hotel through Lamar Valley to lower eastern side of loop. Lakes. Exit park to Jackson.

Day 6 (Thursday): Jackson.

Day 7 (Friday): Jackson through Grand Teton to Bozeman? Or to West Yellowstone and from there to airport the next day at some ungodly hour of the morning?

Day 8: Fly out of Bozeman.

Or OPTION 2:

Day 1: Fly into Bozeman and drive to Gardiner.

Day 2: Gardiner hotel to northeast of loop. Mammoth springs and canyon. Exit to Cooke City through Lamar valley.

Day 3: Cooke City through Lamar Valley to lower east side of loop, the lakes. Exit park to Jackson.

Day 4: Jackson

Day 5: GTNP to West Yellowstone.

Day 6: West Yellowstone hotel to Old Faithful and Rest of Southwest of lower loop.

Day 7: West Yellowstone hotel to northwest of upper loop. Exit park through Gardiner and drive to Bozeman.

Day 8: fly home.

I would do your second option.
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05
    Percy--the wild furry child!!! 2022----
    Simon--the first King Charles cutie 2009-2022
    RIP Andy, the furry first child, 1996-2012

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Have fun on your trip and let us know how it goes!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast