Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Fasting

niccig is online now Clean Sweep forum moderator

Default Fasting

I do 16:8 and with exercise lost 25 lbs this last year.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    Last edited by niccig; 05-24-2019 at 09:27 PM.

basil is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I guess I’m looking for info that it improves risk factors for diabetes like insulin resistance etc.

I’ve done a lot of what I guess is 16:8 but more by lifestyle than anything intentional. (Busy mornings and early bedtime). I don’t find it difficult at all.

I guess I’m wondering if a weekly 24 hour fast offers any benefits. I would like to lose 5 lbs and get a really flat stomach but my main motivation would be improving my metabolic profile.

LBW is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I have been doing IF plus a very low calorie diet for nearly a month now. (I've done just IF before.) And I'm finally seeing the scale go down. I'm one of those people who can't lose weight on typical weight loss programs like WW, so I have to go to drastic measures to get the scale to move. I just have coffee or tea in the morning. I occasionally feel a little hungry in the morning, but after I drink my tea/coffee and water, that feeling goes away. Then I'm often not hungry until 1-2 in the afternoon. I eat dinner around 5-6, and sometimes have a small piece of fruit in the early evenings.
    Tara
    living a crazy life with 3 boys

I am thinking now
    of grief, and of getting past it;
    I feel my boots
    trying to leave the ground,
    I feel my heart
    pumping hard. I want
    to think again of dangerous and noble things.
    I want to be light and frolicsome.
    I want to be improbable beautiful and afraid of nothing,
    as though I had wings.

~Mary Oliver

Quote Originally Posted by basil View Post
    I guess I’m looking for info that it improves risk factors for diabetes like insulin resistance etc.

I’ve done a lot of what I guess is 16:8 but more by lifestyle than anything intentional. (Busy mornings and early bedtime). I don’t find it difficult at all.

I guess I’m wondering if a weekly 24 hour fast offers any benefits. I would like to lose 5 lbs and get a really flat stomach but my main motivation would be improving my metabolic profile.
    While it may *help* quality and quantity of food and environmental exposures would be areas to concentrate.

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I’m super interested in this topic as well. I did IF for two years and found it fairly easy to follow. I lost 18 pounds of baby fat. When I reintroduced exercise though I couldn’t fast any longer without feeling weak. (I also gained 10 pounds back at Christmas time but that can’t be blamed on anything but very poor eating! My adherence to IF was poor as well then.)

I’m now on s totally different regimen, very calorie restricted but extremely high quality food, with a very careful fat/carb/protein ratio.. I eat every 2.5 to 3 hours and I feel great except days that I exercise! Not sure how to solve that. (I’ve lost crazy amounts of weight quickly—I’m happy about that part!)

I haven’t had tons of lab work done while IF. I do know that a poster here noted that they had to stop IF when their labs came back with problematic results. I would love to hear more about this.

I have half a mind to commandeer my DS1s CGMS (continuous glucose monitoring system) and do an analysis of my blood sugars while observing a fasting regimen versus my current plan of eating every few hours. But I don’t have enough supplies to do it right now!

Quote Originally Posted by bisous View Post

I’m now on s totally different regimen, very calorie restricted but extremely high quality food, with a very careful fat/carb/protein ratio.. I eat every 2.5 to 3 hours and I feel great except days that I exercise! Not sure how to solve that. (I’ve lost crazy amounts of weight quickly—I’m happy about that part!)
    I'm glad to hear this. I just started last week with a nutritionist who has me on a similar regime (every 2-3 hours, higher in proteins, lower in carbs). I'm glad to hear you've been losing alot, and quickly! I like fueling myself so frequently and never starving!
    DD1 - 1996
    DD2 - 1999
    DD3 - 2005

Surfaces are for working, not for storing. - Peter Walsh

Globetrotter is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by basil View Post

I started this after getting bad labs, so I’m hoping the weight-loss will help in that regard. My ultimate goal is to improve my health, but I definitely need to lose a lot of weight to get to that point.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2