SAHMIL is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

Default Ok .... getting kid into the great outdoors

A friend of mine told me that hockey player/ skaters have a tendency to avoid the outdoors in the summer . Ok, so what do you do to get them outdoors to do some kind of physical activity 12 years old and only child too. aside from camps. There are no other boys in the neighborhood his age. ( although I did see one leave a house up the street last week . How do I get to talk to those parents ) fortnite is an issue too. I want to just get him out for an hour every day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bnme is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Bike, roller blades, skate board. I think it is harder if he doesn’t have friends to hang out with outside. Can he invite someone over? Or maybe bike riding as a family? My kids and their friends will spend hours playing basketball, spike ball or street hockey. But they don’t really go outside by themselves too often.

hbridge is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Shooting pucks in the driveway
    Roller blading
    Biking
    Community Gardening
    Local pool (bonus since he may makes some friends)

My tween loves to garden and to just be outside.

Combine outside quiet time with things like reading, writing, ect.

Geocaching is amazing !!!
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05
    Percy--the wild furry child!!! 2022----
    Simon--the first King Charles cutie 2009-2022
    RIP Andy, the furry first child, 1996-2012

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I'm not sure why someone said hockey players don't like to get outside, my hockey player and all of his friends are very active, play all kinds of sports outdoors (not just related to hockey).

Where are his school friends, do they ride bikes? Play pick up games of basketball, baseball, football etc?

I'd literally stop next time you see that kid and his family, see who they are, maybe they are new?

Do you have a basketball hoop in the driveway, ours gets so much use, almost daily.

Does he have a decent bike, places to ride to ?

SAHMIL is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

Yes my son has a bike . The problem is again no friends in the neighborhood . Lately, I have been driving to get a friend who lives 15/20 minutes away. And have him over . It helps to get the two of them out . They also do coding etc .

On the other hand my husband is complaining that this kid is now over and we do have him for lunch or dinner etc . But imo can’t have cake and eat it too. His parents both work so I call it a win !

KpbS is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by SAHMIL View Post
    Yes my son has a bike . The problem is again no friends in the neighborhood . Lately, I have been driving to get a friend who lives 15/20 minutes away. And have him over . It helps to get the two of them out . They also do coding etc .

On the other hand my husband is complaining that this kid is now over and we do have him for lunch or dinner etc . But imo can’t have cake and eat it too. His parents both work so I call it a win !

Yes! Import friends if you don’t have any nearby. We’ve done this for years. Who cares if you are making an extra sandwich, some chips, and a piece of fruit for another kid? It’s a great way to teach your kid hospitality and good manners. Lots of good suggestions here—we do the pool as much as possible and mine like to bike, hit wiffle balls in the yard, frisbee, stomp rockets, etc you name it.
    K

ray7694 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

We go hiking, hiking, and to the pool. My son hits pucks and also does a small daily workout. He also plays guitar and umpires little league.

Is open skate an option? Volunteering at a camp?

Kindra178 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Take a bike ride, can’t he bike to a friend’s house? At his age, even a couple of miles is nothing.

We always have an extra kid or three at a meal. Agree with above comment, teaches hospitality. I grew up with the more the merrier mentality.

Do you have a pool membership? We use ours whenever we can.

Are there summer pick up leagues of other sports he doesn’t play?

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains