hbridge is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default Unleashed dogs!!!

So some background...

We live in a neighborhood where "free range" dogs were the norm for many years. At that time, there was an issue with poop in the yard, but the dogs were all very sweet and we never had a problem with the animals themselves. DC would leave water out for them and play with them when they came by.

After issues with dogs biting/attacking people in town over the last few months, now, almost all the dogs are on-leash or under voice command at all times. Even older dogs that have always had freedom are now leashed. Well, all except two. This would not be an issue at all, except one of these dogs has nipped DC TWICE. He only once broke the skin and it was barely a bite at all, but it was NOT an accident. The dog went after my child because "they think she reminds the dog of someone who abused him in the past". They had assured me that he will never be outside unattended. I know that there have been issues with this dog and other people AND this dog was out unattended last week when we walked by, DC called to them to come and get the dog, when they were trying to get him, the dog rushed at my child (she is a tween). Usually DH and DC take our pup for a walk in the evening; they finally admitted to me that this is a common issue.

Fast forward to today, the mom just posted a photo of one of her kids hiking with the dogs, the UNLEASHED dogs, on trails in town. This is making me SO NERVOUS! Their two dogs are both rescues; one seems fine, but we keep our distance; the other has bitten my child twice (the bites were barely anything because the parent was HOLDING HIM BACK), he is often unleashed in his yard or wandering the neighborhood... My tween has been told to come inside if she sees him without a leash held by an adult...

If I had known they would be this irresponsible, I would have reported the bites when they happened.

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Ugh that's awful. I'm a huge dog lover but think dogs should be fenced or leashed. If I were you I would call my local dog warden or code enforcement officer (I'm assuming it's a local municipal rule to have your dog leashed) and report that the dogs are unleashed. I think it is as much to protect the humans as it is to protect the dogs. I would hate to see a dog euthanized for biting when the owner didn't do what they could to prevent such from occurring.
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

I think I am going to have to call the police the next time I see the dog out in the neighborhood. Yesterday, DC came rushing into the house stating that this one dog was out in the neighborhood. So my tween had to stop what she was doing IN HER OWN yard and come inside to avoid a neighborhood dog that was loose; a dog that has already "bitten her TWICE"! I messaged the mom that the dog was loose and she got back to me 4 hours later stating that she was not even home when he was out running around the neighborhood. Her kids just let the dogs out. I am livid that we are living in fear of a dog because the owner is in denial.

This particular dog is deaf. So the excuse they keep giving is that he has "special needs". If he was sweet and the bites were accidental, playing a little too rough, ect., that may be an excuse. However, this means that in their mind, their "special needs" dog takes priority over the safety of my autistic tween!?!?!? Its only a matter of time before there is no one there to hold him back and he attacks her (or someone else).

I think I am going to stop into the police station in the next couple of days to see if SprayShield deterent is legal to use in our town. The whole situation is feeling very dangerous to me.

Thanks for listening...

[QUOTE=hbridge;4335539]So my tween had to stop what she was doing IN HER OWN yard and come inside to avoid a neighborhood dog that was loose; a dog that has already "bitten her TWICE"! I messaged the mom that the dog was loose and she got back to me 4 hours later stating that she was not even home when he was out running around the neighborhood. Her kids just let the dogs out. I am livid that we are living in fear of a dog because the owner is in denial.

This particular dog is deaf. So the excuse they keep giving is that he has "special needs". If he was sweet and the bites were accidental, playing a little too rough, ect., that may be an excuse. However, this means that in their mind, their "special needs" dog takes priority over the safety of my autistic tween!?!?!? Its only a matter of time before there is no one there to hold him back and he attacks her (or someone else).

QUOTE]

I would call animal control next time. I’m a huge dog lover and always have lived in urban/suburban towns with strict ordinances on leashes dogs. So this wouldn’t fly with me.

Also, I’m deaf too. And have had a deaf dog long time ago and fostered few too, that is a real cop out. The deaf dog still need training, just like any other dog. What any responsible dog owner do is learn sign language signals to communicate with deaf dogs. Call!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Mummy to DS1-6/11 and DS2-1/14

… and the dog was just out in his yard unattended and untethered... AGAIN... DC and I were walking our pup and chatting, as soon as DC spotted the dog in his yard, she immediately insisted we turn around.

I'm calling the police tomorrow just to find out the leash laws in town (I am not even sure there is one), ask if the spray shield I purchased is legal, and to find out what to do the next time he is out unattended.

If there is no leash law, does anyone know if there is anything that can be done if I did not report the "bites" when they happened?

Just talked to animal control, there is NO LEASH law in town! If he bites someone we need to report it. Otherwise it sounds like there is not much I can do.

I did contact the family who made some excuses... Ugh

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

That stinks.
    I think you need to report the bites. Can you report it as no bites but aggressive behavior?

mikala is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Ugh, I'm sorry you're going through this. A neighborhood dog crossed the street to aggressively bark and snarl at my much smaller, leashed and not barking pup on a walk last week and it scared me and my dog. I can only imagine what your daughter feels with a dog out targeting her. I'd definitely report any bites and might keep Ring or security camera footage of the dog on your property or showing any aggression if you have it.

The dog officer was very nice and the next time the pup is running free I will definitely call him. I contacted the mom this morning, it sounds like the family is going to try to get the pup to use a long lead, but the mom told me that there are so many kids in and our of their house that the dog often gets let out without them even knowing. I am not sure what a long lead will do if the kids don't use it.

While the pup is targeting my child, I don't think she is the only one he goes after. However, we have been very lucky that the bites so far have been minor... that's all it is LUCK! I do not trust this pup AT ALL!

doberbrat is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

TOTAL cop out. Sorry. I have a self latching baby gate at the entryway to prevent my kids from accidentally letting the dogs out. Why? Princess does not like adults and will try to bite. If you know your dog has a problem, you take steps to prevent problems.

And if the dog is deaf and "special needs" then it needs more protection from the world. It wont hear a car coming. .....

I'd report it EVERY time your dd sees it out; and report the bites/scratches. a dog with a bite history is a HUGE liability. insurance companies tend to take a very dim view of situations where people have dogs with known issues who do not prevent further bites.
    dd1 10/05
    dd2 11/09
    and ... a mini poodle!