So some background...

We live in a neighborhood where "free range" dogs were the norm for many years. At that time, there was an issue with poop in the yard, but the dogs were all very sweet and we never had a problem with the animals themselves. DC would leave water out for them and play with them when they came by.

After issues with dogs biting/attacking people in town over the last few months, now, almost all the dogs are on-leash or under voice command at all times. Even older dogs that have always had freedom are now leashed. Well, all except two. This would not be an issue at all, except one of these dogs has nipped DC TWICE. He only once broke the skin and it was barely a bite at all, but it was NOT an accident. The dog went after my child because "they think she reminds the dog of someone who abused him in the past". They had assured me that he will never be outside unattended. I know that there have been issues with this dog and other people AND this dog was out unattended last week when we walked by, DC called to them to come and get the dog, when they were trying to get him, the dog rushed at my child (she is a tween). Usually DH and DC take our pup for a walk in the evening; they finally admitted to me that this is a common issue.

Fast forward to today, the mom just posted a photo of one of her kids hiking with the dogs, the UNLEASHED dogs, on trails in town. This is making me SO NERVOUS! Their two dogs are both rescues; one seems fine, but we keep our distance; the other has bitten my child twice (the bites were barely anything because the parent was HOLDING HIM BACK), he is often unleashed in his yard or wandering the neighborhood... My tween has been told to come inside if she sees him without a leash held by an adult...

If I had known they would be this irresponsible, I would have reported the bites when they happened.