California is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default Another NYC question- Staying in NJ and taking PATH?

Another NYC trip question: We are adding on five days in NYC to a family trip to see relatives in Montreal. This is on top of our original trip plus another summer trip, so I want to keep it affordable.

Staying in NJ or in Brooklyn in an AirBnB is much more affordable than staying in NYC itself. Any suggestions on if NJ or Brooklyn would be better for us? PATH sounds fast and convenient from NJ. We've never been so I have no firsthand experience of the area and trying to decide this all by looking at places online is overwhelming. Are there areas we should avoid? This is so silly but I've avoided traveling to NYC as it seems really intimidating to me... but I've navigated multiple subways and cities in foreign languages and am sure we'll do fine!

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Airbnb is so limited with its legality in any of the boroughs of NYC that I wouldn’t bother trying to find one in Brooklyn. I have a friend who swears by staying in Jersey City. I think I’d focus on NJ. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ahisma is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

We did it and would do it again. The only hang up really is that you'll need separate fare cards for the PATH and the MTA. Depending on the size / ages of your family, the multiple fares can add up, so factor that into your savings calculation.

We usually stay at the Residence Inn in East Rutherford, NJ and take the bus into the city. It is quick and easy most of the time. I wouldn't hesitate to stay in an AirBnB close to a bus or train station and commute in.
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

You trying to stay in Hoboken or Jersey City? Be sure you know how late PATH runs and be aware of schedule changes. It's not a bad way to get into the City, though. (My friends and I used to regularly park in Hoboken and take the PATH in when we were in high school.)

Staying somewhere like Fort Lee, Teaneck, East Rutherford, or Leonia gives you bus access (check the bus timetables at njtransit.com) with probably the shortest ride, but almost every Bergen, Essex, Hudson, or Union County town will have daily bus service to the City. (Pre-car and pre-kids, I used to say that on NJ Transit, you could get to the City or you could get to the mall, but trying to get anywhere else was next to impossible.)

When checking trains, please be advised that certain station stops don't run year-round - like the Montclair State stop near Little Falls only runs while Montclair State U is in session, for example, and weekend service on the Bergen Line has been limited in the past.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

California is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Thank you all! We found a spot an easy walk from the PATH station. Thank you for the tip to check the train schedule- if we were there Sat/Sun it wouldn't be a good fit but since we are there weekdays it should work out great!