Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    KpbS is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default kids biking with no helmets

I think I'm the only one who insists my kids wear helmets to bike. I see kids in the neighborhood all the time similar/same ages as mine and none wear helmets. We showed up to a meetup the other day with 3 other families and my kids were the only ones to have helmets except for one 3 year old. I just don't get it. Head injuries are super scary.
    K

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I saw a boy leave DS's baseball game tonight on a motorcycle with his dad, neither had a helmet on, not required in Illinois.

I used to make my kids wear a helmet biking, and we all do when we go on family bike rides, but I admit when DS rides his bike back and forth with his buddies and to the park none have helmets. I don't see a lot of people with helmets, more on the "trail," that goes for 30 miles all over town.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

I insist on it. I work part-time in pediatric rehab. We get patients with TBI from skateboarding/bikes/horse riding/motorcycles/ATVs. Ds knows it’s not optional.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

jgenie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I’ve noticed the same where we are. My kids know it’s not optional. I also insist they wear helmets when sledding and tubing. We’re the only people with helmets.

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Same thing here. My kids wear them, but most people, including young kids, do not. I think I see more adults with them than kids, because the adults are usually on the main roads and the kids are just around town.
    Kris

trcy is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Itt the law here, so DCs know it's not optional. Fortunately, most kids do wear helmets in our area.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Baby Bargains mobile app
    Last edited by trcy; 06-04-2019 at 08:16 AM.
    DD 12/10
    DS 10/15

nfceagles is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I saw some 13yo classmates of DS’s while out the other day and noticed no helmets. Not optional for our family. I’ll have to start watching more to see how common it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

It’s not optional in our family. I admit that I absolutely judge people that don’t wear helmets. It makes no sense.
    My friends husband, an experienced rider, flipped over his handlebars and broke his shoulder. Imagine if he didn’t have a helmet on. His head hit the ground on that fall and the helmet got a crack in it. That could have been his head. Nope, helmets are required.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mommy_Mea is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Helmets are required for my kids, although I would say the majority of kids I see don't have helmets in, or they are precariously perched on their head with loose straps (which won't do anything in an accident). DS1 flipped over his handle bars last year, so I know he gets it
    DS1 June 2009
    DS2 June 2011

petesgirl is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

We are another family that insists on helmets. Even my 2 yr old, who just started using a strider bike wears a helmet with that, and in his bike trailer when I pull him. Neither of my boys throws a fit about it so that's nice. I do need to check the fit on their helmets though, to be sure they aren't too loose.
    I think most of our friends also wear helmets.
    Mama to :
    DS1 (July 2011)
    DD (Feb 2014-June 2015)
    DS2 (Apr 2017)

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view...Until you climb inside his skin and walk around in it."
    --Atticus Finch (To Kill A Mockingbird)

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast