Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
    kdeunc is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

No helmet is not an option for my kids either. I still remember attending the funeral of my classmate in 9th grade who died in a bicycle accident and his empty seat beside me in English class for the rest of the year. Non-negotiable.
    Kelly

DS 1 12-02
    DS 2 12-04
    DD 07-08

Helmets aren’t an option for my kids either. I wear one too. I see a lot of my kids’ friends riding without them and always tell them to go home and put it on. I make them wear closed toe shoes too.

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by jgenie View Post
    I took off a chunk of my heel riding my bike barefoot when I was a kid. I require sneakers and helmets.
    I do see what you’re saying and clearly it’s smarter to wear closed toe shoes, but we live a super casual, footwear optional type of summer and I’m just thrilled their heads are protected! (They always use helmets) Foot injuries can be annoying, painful and cause scars but brain injuries can incapacitate and kill so that’s my mom-negotiable!

petesgirl is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by bisous View Post
    I do see what you’re saying and clearly it’s smarter to wear closed toe shoes, but we live a super casual, footwear optional type of summer and I’m just thrilled their heads are protected! (They always use helmets) Foot injuries can be annoying, painful and cause scars but brain injuries can incapacitate and kill so that’s my mom-negotiable!
    My DS is always in flip flops too. I don't think he would ride his bike or scooter anymore if I told him had to wear sneakers. He absolutely hates socks and shoes, I think he has some sensory thing about them. He can't even keep them on for the 5 minute ride to and from school.
    Mama to :
    DS1 (July 2011)
    DD (Feb 2014-June 2015)
    DS2 (Apr 2017)

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view...Until you climb inside his skin and walk around in it."
    --Atticus Finch (To Kill A Mockingbird)

My DD has definitely scootered and biked in flip flops. I never really thought of that as a safety issue. It is, though, of course! I see a rule change coming. I’m anti-flip-flop anyway, though. I can’t tell you the number of times we’ve been somewhere and taken an impromptu hike, and DD’s had to do it in flip flops. It’s ridiculous! They’re fine for the beach or the pool, but they’re not real shoes. I know I’m in the minority by saying that, but I don’t care. Flip flops are not shoes, leggings are not pants, and pjs and slippers are not streetwear. Just call me Granny, but I will not be convinced otherwise!

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by 123LuckyMom View Post
    My DD has definitely scootered and biked in flip flops. I never really thought of that as a safety issue. It is, though, of course! I see a rule change coming. I’m anti-flip-flop anyway, though. I can’t tell you the number of times we’ve been somewhere and taken an impromptu hike, and DD’s had to do it in flip flops. It’s ridiculous! They’re fine for the beach or the pool, but they’re not real shoes. I know I’m in the minority by saying that, but I don’t care. Flip flops are not shoes, leggings are not pants, and pjs and slippers are not streetwear. Just call me Granny, but I will not be convinced otherwise!

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    I think it must be cultural! If it’s above 60 here (and it usually is!) it’s flip flops. I wear Banda style Fit Flops and they’re awesome and supportive. That said I don’t wear them while biking! I don’t think it’s terrible to have your kids wear decent shoes—it just isn’t a battle I’ve chosen to fight yet.

Twoboos is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

It's funny - we went to Paris over April vaca and literally NO ONE wears a helmet, and bikes and scooters are everywhere. We did a bike tour and the only people who decided to wear helmets were three little kids and two moms (all Americans). Those were the only helmets I saw all week. (And I admit - my fam didn't wear them on this trip. But we wear them at home although DDs are more lax around the nhood.)

We also didn't see any accidents which was amazing with all the bikes, scooters, walkers, motorcycles and cars! I'm not saying that's a good reason not to wear a helmet, but I was surprised with all the traffic of all kinds.
    "Every mother needs a wife." - Amy Poehler, Yes Please

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default kids biking with no helmets

Dd1 wears a helmet as it is state law in California until you are 18 (it has been the law since 1995....I had to wear one when I was a senior in high school and I was soo embarrassed, but now I am thankful I wore one).

Dd2 doesn’t know how to ride a bike (and really has little interest)

https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/f...2.&lawCode=VEH

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by AnnieW625; 06-07-2019 at 11:07 PM.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

doberbrat is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Its the law here too and I cant believe how few kids wear them or wear them with straps unbuckled.

In our house, if your butt touches the seat, you must have a helmet on. Not having one means I take your bike for 3 months. Its only happened 1 x. We're a huge biking family. We bike to school, the library, heck I even occasionally bike to the grocery. My 13yo daughter wouldnt bike with her bff b/c the girl doesnt have a helmet. So she brought her a spare we had.

As for the scooters, a friend left her child at the playground being watched by another mom. The child fell off the scooter. I had a first aid kit and took care of him till his mom got back. Ended up having to go to er for a concussion when he started vomiting. Had facial lacerations. That group of friends now insists on helmets.
    dd1 10/05
    dd2 11/09
    and ... a mini poodle!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4