Thread: Swollen ankles

Default Swollen ankles

I just returned home from a 5 day vacation at a hot and humid location. My ankles started swelling up a bit on 4th day but after sitting for most of car & air travel home, it really blew up!

So now it really looks and felt like how my ankles felt last 2-3 weeks of my pregnancies. I’ll be calling in my doctor end of this week if it doesn’t go down. But what would cause it though?? I’m afraid to go down the rabbit hole that is google if I looked it up. All I know is heat, pregnancy and high sodium diet can be the causes but only heat applies this time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Mummy to DS1-6/11 and DS2-1/14

Try drinking a lot of water. Sitting/airplane travel can definitely contribute to swollen feet/ankles as well. I bet it goes down within a few days.
    momma to DD 12/08 & DS 3/13

Kestrel is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Not to scare you, but it could be a high blood pressure issue - my DH has this symptom and problem. I would go to a local pharmacy or grocery store that has a blood pressure machine and check. They're not exact, but if your blood pressure is high enough to cause problems, it would read high. If high, you'll need to see someone sooner than end of week.

KpbS is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Yes, get your blood pressure checked.
    K

Mine always do this. I up my magnesium intake and drink lots of water. Try to elevate your feet. They should go back to nor a in a couple of days.

Same thing happened to me after our spring break trip to Florida. My ankles were swollen for a few days. DH (a physician) was very worried, but I wasn’t since I was feeling totally fine otherwise. It took a few days, but eventually they went down. I elevated them a bunch and drank lots of water. (FWIW, I’m thin and have low blood pressure.)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

Ditto georgie girl's experience. water, water, water.
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05
    Percy--the wild furry child!!! 2022----
    Simon--the first King Charles cutie 2009-2022
    RIP Andy, the furry first child, 1996-2012

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."

newnana is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Any better today? This happens to me every time we go hot and humid. The opposite of what others have said, I have very low blood pressure (not a problem, just is). Agree with the pp, lots of water, elevate those legs.