Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by mmsmom View Post

My takeaways have been that you need at least 16 hours of fasting; you also still need a calorie deficit so you can not just eat whatever you want; Fasting works because your eating window is small so you naturally eat less.
    I did IF for almost 2 years. I’m a fan generally. But I do think most of it’s power is in restricting eating so that you get in less calories. I’m not totally sure it was healthy. I’m doing something that’s almost completely antithetical and I think it’s a better plan for me ultimately. But fasting was easy! I dropped 18 pounds when I was doing it. But gained back 10 with just really terrible eating over Christmas break. I needed something new.

inmypjs is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I do intermittent fasting as part of The Faster Way to Fat Loss. I have been doing the program since January and I really like it. I eat between 11-7 or 12-8. But there is no calorie restriction. I have targets that I try to get for grams of protein, fat and carbs. But honestly I can eat as much as I want. The food guidelines are gluten free, dairy free, and you need to eat whole foods. If it comes from the ground or has a mother, you can eat it. There are 2 low carb days and the rest are "regular macronutrient" days. I have lost a lot of inches and I feel much better.

Globetrotter is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

It’s interesting to see the different variations. I think, for ME, to be sustainable and successful long term there can’t be too many restrictions, though restrictive diets are probably a faster way to lose weight.

Percycat is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I "gave up" carbs as part of a lenton devotion. This action resulted in me being more intentional in how and when I ate. I planned meals and brought my lunch/breakfast/snacks to work. I found that I wasn't hungry until 10 or 10:30 in the morning..... at the same time, I started noticing IF discussions and decided to try eating between 10:30 and 7:30. I lost 10% of my body weight in 6 weeks. One thing I didn't expect, but was really pleased to notice, my appetite decreased. It takes less food to make me feel full and satisfied.

I took a break from both LC and IF during May because we had way to many events that would be hard for me and those around me to practice low-carb. I am very happy that I really haven't gained any weight. I was losing between 1 and 2 lbs a week. During my break, I stop losing weight, but I didn't gain weight.

I am starting another 6-8 weeks of LC-HF/IF now. I am hopeful I will be able to lose another 5% this summer.

Globetrotter -- thanks for starting these discussions a few months ago.

citymama is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Wow, you guys are inspiring! Anyone find a way to get rid of that pesky belly or hip fat yet?

for Sandy Hook

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by citymama View Post
    Wow, you guys are inspiring! Anyone find a way to get rid of that pesky belly or hip fat yet?
    I would like to know this as well!!

basil is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I just finished “the obesity code” by Jason Fung which talks about low carb and intermittent fasting. I didn’t agree with everything in that book, but I liked it a lot. It helped that I swear that the author is my husband’s long lost twin separated at birth

So since I read the book I’ve been experimenting with longer fasts, up to 24 hours. It’s easier than I thought it would be, especially if I’m busy. And in 2 weeks I’ve lost like 4 lbs, which is great since I didn’t have a huge amount to lose.

Quote Originally Posted by bisous View Post
    I would like to know this as well!!
    Me too 😂
    I am certainly not an expert by any means, but I find weight machines are an effective way to get in shape. I was in the best shape whenever I was doing weights, so I need to get back into it, also to combat osteoporosis since I’m approaching menopause. Last time I had some minor injuries so I need to learn how to do it safely.

I’m guessing cutting out carbs might also have this effect, But I can’t sustain that.

baymom is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by basil View Post
    I just finished “the obesity code” by Jason Fung which talks about low carb and intermittent fasting. I didn’t agree with everything in that book, but I liked it a lot. It helped that I swear that the author is my husband’s long lost twin separated at birth

So since I read the book I’ve been experimenting with longer fasts, up to 24 hours. It’s easier than I thought it would be, especially if I’m busy. And in 2 weeks I’ve lost like 4 lbs, which is great since I didn’t have a huge amount to lose.

I’ve just picked up that book, as well. I’ve just started but find is take on insulin and weight loss interesting and new. That weight loss is more than just calories in and calories out. I’ve done a few longer fasts as well, and like you, found they weren’t as difficult as I expected at all. That’s something I’d like to incorporate more regularly in my life.

I’ve been doing 12-8 this week, and it wasn’t too hard, but I’m glad I started with 10-8 and eased in. I do need a little milk in my tea, esp on workout days.

I can’t imagine 24 hour fasts. Does that mean water only? Many religions incorporate fasting, which I find interesting. I always thought it was to teach discipline, but I wonder if the origins are health related.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast