Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Good for you, I'm really glad it's working for you.
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

div_0305 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Thank you, Globetrotter and Baymom! After reading your posts on this thread, I decided to look back into IF. I tried 5:2 years ago, and it was brutal to continue, so I gave up. I did not know about the "clean fast" difference, so I looked into it after reading your posts, and then bought the DDD book and Obesity Code. I'm now following a 20:4, sometimes longer fasting window, and the difference is amazing. Never thought I could fast daily for so long, but the key for me was the "clean fast." Also, I joined the FB groups (deactivated my regular FB account, and rejoined under a new account just to be a part of a few select FB groups). Plan to listen to the podcasts, too. I feel so good and motivated, and already see many benefits after just 3 weeks. Were it not for your posts, I really don't think I'd have reached this "aha" moment about what makes IF work, and why it didn't work for me in the past.

Globetrotter is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Div_0305, I’m thrilled to hear that it works for you, too! We both owe Baymom for the intro! It sounded cultish at first lol but it makes sense now that I’ve been doing it. I’ve gotten a few IRL friends and relatives to join. One of my friends is a serial yo-yo dieter, so she is trying this and slowly she’s getting into the mindset that this is a flexible and permanent way of life, not a diet, and not to obsess over the scale!
    I’m reading The obesity code right now, and it all makes more sense to me. It’s the hormones! It’s also interesting how the clean fast (not spiking your insulin) reduces hunger, and appetite correction is real.
    I was able to do it most days on my recent vacation though with longer hours/flexible schedule as needed, without depriving myself of anything I wanted to try. And I didn’t gain weight! Now that’s unheard of for me, and food was a big part of the trip.
    I’ve gone down 2-3 sizes and I’m aiming for another 5-10 pounds. As of April, I never imagined that I’d be able to lose the weight i’d gained in the past year, esp at my age, approaching menopause.
    I do still have some bloating, though water and reduced salt helps, but the gas has gone! I was ridiculously gassy all the time before!

baymom is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Div & Globetrotter!! I’m so happy you guys have seen benefits from the clean fasting IM!! I really loved Obesity Code but haven’t read DDD. I agree that some of the FB posts do feel a bit cultish! In any case, I was shocked that I experienced appetite correction and can go so long without nibbles here and there. I do 20:4 OMAD and it doesn’t even feel hard. I’ve done several longer fasts and surprised at how doable they’ve been. And, so many NSV! I’ve gotten my brother on board and am still working on DH. Anyway, so happy for all of us!

scrooks is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I just want to make sure I am understanding. You guys are fasting 20 and eating 4 hours a day? Did you just right into that or start with 16:8 or something like that. I just reserved to obesity code at the library...

Globetrotter is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by scrooks View Post
    I just want to make sure I am understanding. You guys are fasting 20 and eating 4 hours a day? Did you just right into that or start with 16:8 or something like that. I just reserved to obesity code at the library...
    I eased into it. For me even 12 hours was hard at first because of the late night snacking! I also did not start out with the clean fast and I was having a little milk in my tea. Then I tried 10-8, And gradually went up to 4 to 6 hours! The hours vary. I’ve even done some longer ones, and none of them were planned but it just happened and I was able to do it without too much trouble. Before this I was a constant snacker, and I would never have believed I was capable of doing this. I think the clean fasting helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Globetrotter View Post
    Div_0305, I’m thrilled to hear that it works for you, too! We both owe Baymom for the intro! It sounded cultish at first lol but it makes sense now that I’ve been doing it. I’ve gotten a few IRL friends and relatives to join. One of my friends is a serial yo-yo dieter, so she is trying this and slowly she’s getting into the mindset that this is a flexible and permanent way of life, not a diet, and not to obsess over the scale!
    I’m reading The obesity code right now, and it all makes more sense to me. It’s the hormones! It’s also interesting how the clean fast (not spiking your insulin) reduces hunger, and appetite correction is real.
    I was able to do it most days on my recent vacation though with longer hours/flexible schedule as needed, without depriving myself of anything I wanted to try. And I didn’t gain weight! Now that’s unheard of for me, and food was a big part of the trip.
    I’ve gone down 2-3 sizes and I’m aiming for another 5-10 pounds. As of April, I never imagined that I’d be able to lose the weight i’d gained in the past year, esp at my age, approaching menopause.
    I do still have some bloating, though water and reduced salt helps, but the gas has gone! I was ridiculously gassy all the time before!
    That's fantastic!! Lots of victories apart from the scale!

Quote Originally Posted by baymom View Post
    Div & Globetrotter!! I’m so happy you guys have seen benefits from the clean fasting IM!! I really loved Obesity Code but haven’t read DDD. I agree that some of the FB posts do feel a bit cultish! In any case, I was shocked that I experienced appetite correction and can go so long without nibbles here and there. I do 20:4 OMAD and it doesn’t even feel hard. I’ve done several longer fasts and surprised at how doable they’ve been. And, so many NSV! I’ve gotten my brother on board and am still working on DH. Anyway, so happy for all of us!
    Yay to the NSVs!! I'm learning so many new acronyms from the FB groups . DDD was a very quick read--sort of put Obesity Code into lay terms and some "how to" help that I didn't find in Obesity Code. Here I am after just finishing a 43 hour unplanned fast!

Quote Originally Posted by scrooks View Post
    I also eased into it. I was super cranky and "hangry" the first few days. I started with 16 hour fast, 8 hr window of eating, but ate too much during that 8 hour window. It's one meal a day, but most do have an appetizer snack or two to open their window eating. That's what I do--start with chai tea with DH at the end of the day--a ritual in our household.

chlobo is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

What's a "clean fast" vs. a "dirty fast"?

scrooks is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I am going to read up on this but I also wonder, during the fast, do you drink anything besides water? I am a tea drinker and would probably need to drink tea during the fasting period. FWIW I drink all types of tea but I never add cream or sugar.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast