Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Favorite Travel Shoes??

Do you have a favorite pair of travel shoes that are comfortable for walking? We are traveling to Europe this summer and I need one more pair of shoes for me. I'm thinking of something along the lines of cute sneakers. I want to be able to wear them with everything from jeans to a casual skirt but also want comfort enough to walk at least several miles. I have my running shoes and a pair of sandals to take. My feet aren't fussy but they aren't young anymore either

Anyone found something great or am a I looking for a unicorn?
    Mom to Two Wild and Crazy Boys and One Sweet Baby Girl

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

So long as you have shoes to rotate with, I wouldn’t stress about the perfect one. Says the person who did used to have the unicorns- Cute Merrel sandals and my Saucony Jazz sneakers. Both aren’t what they used to be. I’d get some Toms and maybe some flip flops to toss in your bag as emergency shoes. Do look at the Saucony or even a Sketcher.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love my Ecco Damara sandals, which I only found after reading several travel bloggers' websites about good walking shoes that are also cute. They have a cushioned but firm footbed, plus soft suede straps that velcro easily. I actually do have finicky feet now. In the past 5 years, I've had plantar fasciitis, heel pain (from a bone spur), and ball of my foot pain (a neuroma). I would wear my Ecco Damara sandals every day if they weren't too casual for an office! They're very comfortable and far more supportive than flip-flops (and more attractive, IMHO). I also prefer not to wear closed toe shoes in hot weather, so I love that they're sandals.

I wore mine on our trip to Italy last September and happily walked a few hours in them every day. Now, I did not go hiking, so this was just strolling in the city and walking back and forth from our AirBnB to the city center, to the gelateria, to restaurants, etc.

citymama is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I did Brooks running shoes and Ahnu walking sandals for 3 weeks in Europe. Family of 4 and we took 2 x 26" Eagle Creek wheelies, everyone had 2 pairs of shoes, one of which they were wearing. It was awesome to travel so light! And yes, I returned with another pair bought in Italy.

for Sandy Hook

I did 3 weeks in Europe last summer and I wore my Birkenstock (silver Gizeh) sandals almost exclusively. They are amazingly comfortable and stylish, IMO. I had other shoes that I thought I would wear more but none of them could stand up to the miles of walking and the cobblestone streets the way that the Birks could.
    DD '06
    DD '14

Quote Originally Posted by citymama View Post
    I did Brooks running shoes and Ahnu walking sandals for 3 weeks in Europe. Family of 4 and we took 2 x 26" Eagle Creek wheelies, everyone had 2 pairs of shoes, one of which they were wearing. It was awesome to travel so light! And yes, I returned with another pair bought in Italy.
    I have my Brooks ready to go but wanted another option. I have scoured travel blogs for other ideas and bought a pair of Josef Seibel sandals and Naot sandals. I feel covered there. I have looked at Ahnu in the past but I've never known which to try.

Hoping to travel lightly as well. Not sure we will get it down to 2 bags but hoping for 3 rather than 5. It will help that it's summer for sure. Thanks for your suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by vludmilla View Post
    I did 3 weeks in Europe last summer and I wore my Birkenstock (silver Gizeh) sandals almost exclusively. They are amazingly comfortable and stylish, IMO. I had other shoes that I thought I would wear more but none of them could stand up to the miles of walking and the cobblestone streets the way that the Birks could.
    That's what I have on right now! Silver and all. I never thought they would be comfortable enough to wear for miles of walking but maybe. I admittedly don't wear them all that much though so I could be missing out.

I'm tempted to just get a pair of Toms or Superga and make them work.
    Mom to Two Wild and Crazy Boys and One Sweet Baby Girl

Quote Originally Posted by carolinamama View Post
    I have my Brooks ready to go but wanted another option. I have scoured travel blogs for other ideas and bought a pair of Josef Seibel sandals and Naot sandals. I feel covered there. I have looked at Ahnu in the past but I've never known which to try.

Hoping to travel lightly as well. Not sure we will get it down to 2 bags but hoping for 3 rather than 5. It will help that it's summer for sure. Thanks for your suggestions.

That's what I have on right now! Silver and all. I never thought they would be comfortable enough to wear for miles of walking but maybe. I admittedly don't wear them all that much though so I could be missing out.

I'm tempted to just get a pair of Toms or Superga and make them work.
    Lol on the Gizeh's

There is NO way that I would have wanted to walk in a pair of Toms in Europe. No way. I love my Toms for at home but there is just not enough support or shock absorption for me and miles of walking. We are headed to Italy for 3 weeks at the end of the month and I have considered getting a pair of Superga sneakers to supplement the Gizeh's. (It's Italy afterall But the Gizeh's are definitely going to be my primary pair. Consider how hot and humid it will be where you are going. My sneakers were fine last year when we were in the Netherlands (cooler) but my feet were way too hot in sneakers when we were in Paris.
    DD '06
    DD '14

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Lol on the Gizeh's

There is NO way that I would have wanted to walk in a pair of Toms in Europe. No way. I love my Toms for at home but there is just not enough support or shock absorption for me and miles of walking. We are headed to Italy for 3 weeks at the end of the month and I have considered getting a pair of Superga sneakers to supplement the Gizeh's. (It's Italy afterall But the Gizeh's are definitely going to be my primary pair. Consider how hot and humid it will be where you are going. My sneakers were fine last year when we were in the Netherlands (cooler) but my feet were way too hot in sneakers when we were in Paris.
    I said Toms bc they weigh nothing and lay pretty darn flat. Sometimes you just need something to slip on for a while. Maybe not a full day of walking but if your feet are tired, have blisters...throwing on an easy pair of shoes can be nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

citymama is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

There is no way on earth I could walk miles in my Gizehs. I think it must depend on the kind of feet you have? Gizehs tweak my ankle after a while - I need back of the heel support and a completely fitted walking sandal to stabilize my ankles.

OP, i've been meaning to try one of these Keen's casual sneakers for trips like the kind you are taking or for just bopping about town - the Elsa or the Lorelai are cute and could be great walking shoes if they work for you: https://www.keenfootwear.com/womens-shoes/

Zappos is your friend in this case - could order a few things and return the ones that don't work...

for Sandy Hook

Liziz is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I almost always wear my Sperry's sneakers when I travel. I can easily wear them all day (I do wear them with the little sock liner things). The only time I don't prefer them for travel is if we hiking or doing really rocky terrain. This is the type I have and love: https://www.sperry.com/en/crest-vibe...casual&start=1

Sent from my SM-G930U using Baby Bargains mobile app
    Lizi

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast