Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    ang79 is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Any Mirena users?

Apparently my 5 yr. mark for my current Mirena was yesterday (I was thinking it was later in the summer). There are new procedures at my doctor's office before I can get this one removed and another inserted (I have to go sign forms, they have to contact insurance, order it, then schedule my appt.). I thought I had read somewhere before that the Mirena was now being used beyond 5 years in other countries, so I shouldn't be worried to continue to use it as my only form of BC for the next few weeks, right?

Also, is there a cut off of how many Mirenas one should have in a row? I will be getting my third and am only 40, so a ways to go til menopause and DH absolutely refuses to do a vasectomy (don't get me started on that argument!).

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

My Dr. says 7 years now for Mirena so I certainly wouldn't stress about a few weeks.
    eta- I use the copper IUD and have plans to just redoing it until bc isn't needed anymore. Mine could be different bc no hormones but I am pretty sure that there's no reason why you can't continue using it.

ang79 is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    My Dr. says 7 years now for Mirena so I certainly wouldn't stress about a few weeks.
    eta- I use the copper IUD and have plans to just redoing it until bc isn't needed anymore. Mine could be different bc no hormones but I am pretty sure that there's no reason why you can't continue using it.
    That's what I was thinking I had read about the 7 years. The nurse on the phone kept insisting I use back up methods until I get a new one, but I thought that was a bit much, its not like it automatically stops working the day after!

NCGrandma is online now Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by ang79 View Post
    That's what I was thinking I had read about the 7 years. The nurse on the phone kept insisting I use back up methods until I get a new one, but I thought that was a bit much, its not like it automatically stops working the day after!
    Just for fun, I did some exploring, and found that:
    (1) Bayer, the manufacturer, still recommends removal after 5 years in all its info for patients and providers
    https://www.mirena-us.com/q-and-a/

(2) ACOG reports some research demonstrating effectiveness for up to 7 years
    https://www.acog.org/-/media/Practic...blic/pb186.pdf

Providers obviously differ in how conservative they are (and probably, whether they have been sued before...). In this case, if they stick with the mfr's prescribing info and a patient gets pregnant, they are on firmer ground than if they recommend extended use and a pregnancy occurs.

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains

Philly Mom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

My dr said that it is effective until i get my period. I am at more than 5 years now. Once I get spotting she said it should be replaced. That is the common recommendation.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

Quote Originally Posted by Philly Mom View Post
    My dr said that it is effective until i get my period. I am at more than 5 years now. Once I get spotting she said it should be replaced. That is the common recommendation.

Hmm...I’m on year 3 of my Mirena, and I almost always get monthly spotting. I’ve heard others get it too. I asked my doctor about it, and he said that doesn’t mean it isn’t effective anymore. He goes by the 5 year rule.
    DD1 '08
    DD2 '10

baymom is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Philly Mom View Post

This is really interesting. In just the past week, I’ve been spotting a lot. That after never spotting (or having a period) the past 4+ years on Mirena. Well, beyond the first couple weeks after I first got it... I’ll keep an eye on how long this lasts and then make an appointment to make sure it’s still okay.

I am on my third Mirena. I will get it out this year or next—I’m 54. The whole no periods for 15 years has been awesome!!!!
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05
    Percy--the wild furry child!!! 2022----
    Simon--the first King Charles cutie 2009-2022
    RIP Andy, the furry first child, 1996-2012

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."

Quote Originally Posted by StantonHyde View Post
    I am on my third Mirena. I will get it out this year or next—I’m 54. The whole no periods for 15 years has been awesome!!!!
    So wonderful, I agree!!! Life changing! I'm 52 and curious what the gyn will suggest at my next visit. (I think I'm on my third too.)
    DD1 - 1996
    DD2 - 1999
    DD3 - 2005

Surfaces are for working, not for storing. - Peter Walsh

Philly Mom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by mm123 View Post
    Hmm...I’m on year 3 of my Mirena, and I almost always get monthly spotting. I’ve heard others get it too. I asked my doctor about it, and he said that doesn’t mean it isn’t effective anymore. He goes by the 5 year rule.
    I used to get spotting. I don’t anymore. Regardless, the new recommendation is that it stops being effective once you get your period back. For me, having spotting would be the first sign of that.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast