Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Thank you all! I like the SS ones a PP linked. Would they fit in a dishwasher? I rather like the water bottles my kids have for the car now. I both don’t want them to be too big to fit in my cup holders AND I don’t want them to drink too much at once. Finding a bathroom while cruising on the 405 is not my favorite, lol!

I think I actually like the idea of multiple large but not too large vessels. That way I can leave one untouched if we don’t need water from it that day. I think I’m ok with letting water sit in a clean vessel for more than a day or two—and I do think that sticking them in the dishwasher makes it easier for me make good on that regimen. I do prefer SS. The price is kinda steep but I anticipate using them for years....

LBW is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Could you just keep a cooler in the truck? Then you could add freezer packs and extra (filled) water bottles each day. (or even freeze some of the water bottles) You could get 2-3 extra water bottles per kid. This way you wouldn't have to deal with filling them. Kids could just grab a new one when the old one is empty.
    Tara
    living a crazy life with 3 boys

I am thinking now
    of grief, and of getting past it;
    I feel my boots
    trying to leave the ground,
    I feel my heart
    pumping hard. I want
    to think again of dangerous and noble things.
    I want to be light and frolicsome.
    I want to be improbable beautiful and afraid of nothing,
    as though I had wings.

~Mary Oliver

khm is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by LBW View Post
    Could you just keep a cooler in the truck? Then you could add freezer packs and extra (filled) water bottles each day. (or even freeze some of the water bottles) You could get 2-3 extra water bottles per kid. This way you wouldn't have to deal with filling them. Kids could just grab a new one when the old one is empty.
    This sounds like the way I'd roll as well. Seems much more versatile (you could use it for food on the go or groceries as well), and less expensive.

cmo is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

I saw 1/2 gallon stainless steel containers, with 'top rack dishwasher safe' on the label at Walmart today. They were in the seasonal section, with picnic and beach stuff. There were smaller and larger sizes too.

Quote Originally Posted by LBW View Post
    Yes! This actually sounds brilliant. I love this idea and I’m pretty much already set to do this. You guys are so smart!

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Why does it have to be dishwasher safe? It takes 3 minutes to wash the bottles and let them dry overnight, they last much longer that way. You could delegate the kids to wash them.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by mom2binsd View Post
    Why does it have to be dishwasher safe? It takes 3 minutes to wash the bottles and let them dry overnight, they last much longer that way. You could delegate the kids to wash them.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Because I prefer it. I’m busy and don’t want to take 3 minutes.

we bought a couple 1 gal coleman water jugs for our trip to savannah to refill water bottles while we are out and about. We leave sat so no idea how it's going to work!
    Margaret and
    (DS 2/06) and (DD 3/08)

Quote Originally Posted by elephantmeg View Post
    we bought a couple 1 gal coleman water jugs for our trip to savannah to refill water bottles while we are out and about. We leave sat so no idea how it's going to work!
    Let me know when you get back from your trip!

My neighbors just asked me if I wanted one of those two gallon ones that they happen to be giving away so I’m going to at least give it a try. It seems relatively uncomplicated to wash out but we’ll see what it dies with heavy use. I rather love the idea of using s cooler!

Love the cooler idea. For us I never found a great answer to this issue. Bigger water bottles did help some. But then they are just bigger and heavier to carry around.
    We have had great luck with Simple Modern containers from Amazon. I use my dishwasher for them and they have held up great, but ours are food containers not the water bottles. Bonus for us was they came in cool colors so each kid could have one in their "color".
    Last edited by craftysierra; 06-07-2019 at 09:27 AM. Reason: Extra information

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast