Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default Athletic Sneaker Shopping: What to Try If ...

I wear a size 10D sneaker in most brands' lasts, though with the New Balance SL-1 last, I tend to favor an EE width ... and in their SL-2 last, I am a solid 10.5D.

Sneakers that have worked well for me in the past are:

ASICS GT-3000 series
    Brooks ARIEL
    Brooks ADRENALINE
    Brooks ADDICTION
    New Balance 1260-series
    New Balance 1340-series
    New Balance 940-series (usually need a 10.5 as the last runs short)
    RYKA KM-series (current model is KM-7)

Is there anything else I should try?

I am not looking for fashion sneakers like Keds or Skechers, but real athletic shoes. (This drives DH crazy, but because I am so anal about this, I'm not the one whining about my feet and back every time we have to walk further than 30 feet. Which is pretty much every summer vacation.)
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

Mommy_Mea is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I have similar size feet, and for my athletic does I almost always have to wear men's sneakers. I have worn Saucony shoes and really liked them, currently have the Guide and Peregrine.
    DS1 June 2009
    DS2 June 2011

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

I wear a 10D as well. I just picked up 2 pairs of sneakers at Famous Footwear and both are comfy. I have Asics Gel-Venture 6 and Saucony Cohesion. I had not tried Saucony in the past and they seem slightly wider than the Asics, which is a nice surprise.
    Kris

Kindra178 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I would stick with Hoka or Altra. Life changing.

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default Athletic Sneaker Shopping: What to Try If ...

I wear a 10.5D or 11D in athletic shoes (9.5 Wide or 10 wide in regular shoes). My feet issues are high insteps, plantar fasciitis in my left foot, and over pronation so I usually need a really stable shoe (although I did try the Brooks Adrenaline once and it was too much stability as even though it isn’t as clunky looking as an Addiction it is Brooks most stable shoe).

I was a staunch Brooks Addiction wearer for almost 20 years (when my budget was tight I would wear ASICS Gel 1000s bought from Amazon (in the discontinued colors) for about $50), but I always preferred the Brooks. Within the last two years though they redesigned the materials in the Brooks Addiction shoe (they are now more slick in the insoles due to a material change since they now added some memory stability foam or something) and the shoes just don’t fit the same and I get way too much slip in the heel. I wore the New Balance 960 and they worked okay, but sometimes I had arch pain and then when I replaced that pair this year I tried the 2019 model of the 960 and I got instant arch pain and pain in the calves after walking about a mile so I tried the NB 860 and they were worse (instant pain in the calves) so I ended up with a Hoka One, which is as close to the Brooks Addiction that I have been able to find, and I have been happy with them.

I’m not a distance runner and do more walking than anything but I highly recommend getting sized at a reputable running shoe store that has a good return policy. The store I go to has a 90 day no questions asked return policy.

Just remember what works for us may not work for you. Everyone has different feet even if they are essentially the same size. My DD1 has wider flat feet and she does best with a New Balance shoes and has consistently worn the New Balance brand since she was 2. She has worn the 990 for years, but now that she is 13 prefers the style and color choices of the 860. I have only ever worn two pairs of New Balance (the first was about 17 years ago and I wanted something sleeker looking than the clunky Addiction) and overall they did their job, but they weren’t my favorite.

My DH only wears Nike’s, and DD2 can wear them as well. I haven’t worn Nike in 20 years as my foot got too wide for even their wide width shoes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by AnnieW625; 06-11-2019 at 11:01 PM.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

LBW is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Altra and/or Newton? I don't know if either come in different widths, but they both offer really roomy toe boxes, so may work.

BTW I always size up 1/2 or even a full size for shoes that I'll use for running, hiking, or lots of walking. Maybe try that, too.
    Last edited by LBW; 06-13-2019 at 10:17 AM.
    Tara
    living a crazy life with 3 boys

I am thinking now
    of grief, and of getting past it;
    I feel my boots
    trying to leave the ground,
    I feel my heart
    pumping hard. I want
    to think again of dangerous and noble things.
    I want to be light and frolicsome.
    I want to be improbable beautiful and afraid of nothing,
    as though I had wings.

~Mary Oliver

Percycat is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

If you have hard feet to fit, I would go to a running store.... actually, I go to a running store even though my feet aren't hard to fit. I really appreciate the customer service in selecting shoes. I have lived through plantar fasciitis and think it is very important to get good tennis shoes. Do you have a Fleet Feet near you? If so, they will quickly find shoes that will work for you.

OP,

I would go to the roadrunners sport store for a fitting and see your brand options. What may work for you years ago may not now due to changing factors.

I believe there’s one in North Brunswick. Which is not far from you, if I recall. It’s my nearest branch so that is a bit of hike for me but so worthwhile for me to go. I’m due for another trip to get another fitting as my sizing changed recently. Its near my work at least, so won’t feel much of a hike for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Mummy to DS1-6/11 and DS2-1/14

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieW625 View Post
    I’m not a distance runner and do more walking than anything but I highly recommend getting sized at a reputable running shoe store that has a good return policy. The store I go to has a 90 day no questions asked return policy.
    So does Road Runner Sports - they'll even let you wear them on pavement!

Just remember what works for us may not work for you. Everyone has different feet even if they are essentially the same size. My DD1 has wider flat feet and she does best with a New Balance shoes and has consistently worn the New Balance brand since she was 2. She has worn the 990 for years, but now that she is 13 prefers the style and color choices of the 860. I have only ever worn two pairs of New Balance (the first was about 17 years ago and I wanted something sleeker looking than the clunky Addiction) and overall they did their job, but they weren’t my favorite.
    Yup, I hear you 100% on that! Sometimes, however, I do like to hear about brands I haven't considered because I've worn basically the same 3.

My DH only wears Nike’s, and DD2 can wear them as well. I haven’t worn Nike in 20 years as my foot got too wide for even their wide width shoes.
    Yeah, they tried to fit me in a Nike but Nike's wide is a "C" width, not a "D", so it was too narrow.

For the record, I have never been able to wear women's Nikes, but I wore their basketball shoes when I played.
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

Quote Originally Posted by LBW View Post
    Altra and/or Newton? I don't know if either come in different widths, but they both offer really roomy toe boxes, so may work.

BTW I always size up 1/2 or even a full size for shoes that I'll use for running, hiking, or lots of walking. Maybe try that, too.
    For me, it really does depend on whether or not the last runs short. I'm a 9.5 to a 10 in a street/dress shoe, so in most brands that would mean an 11.

New Balance and, I think, Brooks both make a 10.5.

Quote Originally Posted by Kindra178 View Post
    I would stick with Hoka or Altra. Life changing.
    My BFF just bought herself Hokas. I think DH would die of embarrassment before he'd walk with me while I was wearing Hokas, so they're probably out.

Quote Originally Posted by KrisM View Post
    I wear a 10D as well. I just picked up 2 pairs of sneakers at Famous Footwear and both are comfy. I have Asics Gel-Venture 6 and Saucony Cohesion. I had not tried Saucony in the past and they seem slightly wider than the Asics, which is a nice surprise.
    I think I tried Sauconys on ages ago but I needed a shoe with a tad more volume - everything else was fine, but the depth just didn't do it for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Mommy_Mea View Post
    I have similar size feet, and for my athletic does I almost always have to wear men's sneakers. I have worn Saucony shoes and really liked them, currently have the Guide and Peregrine.
    I've tried men's New Balance shoes to get the EE width (shoe was made on the SL-1 last, which runs narrow) and they just felt too heavy. I may want to try the Men's Sauconys.
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast