Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    niccig is online now Clean Sweep forum moderator

Default Summer routine??

Today was my last day at work and DS’ last day is tomorrow. I need to get us both into a routine otherwise the summer is over and we’ve done nothing. We’re both homebodies.Ds would sleep all day and be on computer every other minute. I can procrastinate in my pjs for most of the day too. I will have down time, but I do need to get things done around house.

I figure I can be up when DH goes to work and exercise, shower so I’m up and ready to go for the day. What’s a reasonable time for teenager to sleep in but then needs to be up for the day ?

I think we also need to get outside and do things. I’m open to suggestions. DH thinks we should go on hikes to get out in nature but it gets so hot and DS still has physical limitations. We don’t have local swimming pool where families hang out over the summer. There’s the country club pool, but it’s $2000 for the summer, which is just too expensive. Ds does aquatic therapy at local aquatic center, but there’s no rec swim team due to lessons/swim team etc

Anything to get us out and about?

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

doberbrat is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Is a Y membership an option? Swimming at a local hotel? I think 10am is a reasonable time for a teen. I also set limits for mealtimes. - Breakfast before tv. lunch must be eaten by 2pm. No snacks after 4.

I also insist on violin practice 15min per day, reading, and 15 min of math. Last year I also had dd2 work on keyboarding and cursive skills.
    I figure they can do 1 -1.5 hr of work a day. If they dont, then no electricity time the next day.

We do alot of movies from the library and plenty of extra tv time as well. We bike many more places, library, pool, grocery. Swim at the town or Y pools and do some hiking if my knee is up to it.

Honestly, I'm dreading it. This is the earliest we've ever gotten out and I'm not sure we'll be able to go away for August like we usually do. Plus we're having a financial crisis and have no $$ to do anything
    dd1 10/05
    dd2 11/09
    and ... a mini poodle!

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Hit the free days at museums and parks? If there are some that you like a membership for the summer Is cheaper than $2000! A membership to hurricane harbor? I could ride in the lazy river all summer long! We have theatres that do cheap summer movies. It’s not exactly “active” but gets you out of the house. Go library hopping? Have one set day a week to entertain friends and reciprocate?

hbridge is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I let my tween sleep until 9am when there is nothing on the agenda. Then I go up and check in... DC is usually awake.

Is he doing any camps? For years we would do at least two weeks of day camp. DC loved it and it gave me a break.

Otherwise, definitely have a schedule. We have year round school now so there is no "long summer break", but I do have a list of things we want to do this summer and we usually have a "plan of the day" and/or a "plan of the week" so that everyone knows what we are doing.

We often head to the local pool and/or lake, bike to ice cream or lunch, hike around town, or even head out and become tourists at one of the many local attractions. This past weekend we hit a small museum and I was so excited to realize that DC is finally old enough to appreciate art. We are headed to the city art museum soon !

Just have fun and be together!

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Nicci, I also think it’s helpful to have “leave the house by” time in the morning. I had to do that when my littles were really little! 10:00 or 11:00 worked well for us. We could sleep in and have a leisurely morning but still be out before noon which feels good mentally.

BTW, if you’re interested I can send you the info on free museum/garden days in your area if you want!

PZMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

We are in the same situation. DH usually teaches summer school, but has opted to take the summer off, so all four of us are off for the next ten weeks. I plan to let me kids relax this week. However starting next week, they will have an hour of school work prior to getting any devices. They will do 30 minutes of reading, and then my youngest brought home a lot of undone math workbooks that he will work on, and I have plenty of math resources for my oldest since I have taught the grades he has finished and is going into. He claims I'm ruining his summer, but I don't think an hour is too much to ask! lol We are planning for at least one outing a week to a museum. We also are going to go to one of the local pools one day a week. We are still paying back from our strike earlier this year, so we don't have much "play" money to do activities, so we are trying to find cheap and free activities to do. We are planning a small trip in August since that will be our first full paycheck since February.

marinkitty is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

9 am is my breakfast time for the kids if they don't have to be up at any special time. This is mainly because I have one with an eating disorder and staying on a regular meal time and sleep routine is key to keeping things going well.

I make them earn screen time (anything over an hour during the week or two hours on weekends) by doing one or more of the following: (1) reading a book in a room without screens, (2) getting outside and doing something (I'm pretty flexible with what this is since I mostly just care that they are outside getting fresh air, but usually they go for a bike ride, practice a sport or go for a run - but really anything outdoors and off a screen counts; we also go to the beach a fair amount as its only two blocks from home), (3) working out (they each have a couple of indoor exercise options - sport specific training, spin class, yoga, weight room or cardio room drop in) or (4) helping out by doing a chore. They can also earn time for volunteering. I find that works fairly well as long as I'm able to provide a bunch of options. Then, if they want screen time (which they all do) - they at least get a variety of activity each day beyond what's on the schedule.

The older two have some summer work to do but that typically doesn't happen until August because it needs to be fresh in their minds.

We also do outings if we have a free day (or part of a day). Go into the city and do something; explore a new park or nature trail; go kayaking or paddle boarding on the lake. Last summer I tried to do one day trip a week. This year that will be harder because we have more travel and more schedule constraints, but I'm hoping we can fit a few in.

We are also getting out of town a fair amount (those that can - we only have one full week where we can all leave together as a family this summer). I've found that little two or three night breaks with some portion of us really helps keep things feeling fresh.

Default Summer routine??

I like 9am as a wake up time, DS needs to keep regular sleep schedule. I was thinking of having DS earn his screen time by having to do certain things. Planning an outing each week is great idea. These are all great suggestions. I’ll add them to the list.

DS usually does sporting camps but we didn’t book anything as we weren’t sure what he would physically be able to do. He was going to be a counselor in training at a camp he went to for years, but he didn’t apply again because we didn’t know what he could do. He’s been holding steady the last month, no pain flares, so he could get out and do some physical activity, it just needs to be low intensity- no soccer camp or chasing after 8 year olds at camp.

The Y pool is like the aquatic center, most times are for lessons and there’s an hour of rec swim where the pool is packed, and DS wouldn’t know any of the kids as it’s not close to our house. I so wish we had community pools like family go to in Michigan, there’s always someone they know there and they go each day for a few hours.

Last edited by niccig; 06-10-2019 at 10:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bisous View Post
    Nicci, I also think it’s helpful to have “leave the house by” time in the morning. I had to do that when my littles were really little! 10:00 or 11:00 worked well for us. We could sleep in and have a leisurely morning but still be out before noon which feels good mentally.

BTW, if you’re interested I can send you the info on free museum/garden days in your area if you want!
    Yes please! Like PZmommy we’re still recovering from our strike days so free is great!

PZMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by niccig View Post
    I like 9am as a wake up time, DS needs to keep regular sleep schedule. I was thinking of having DS earn his screen time by having to do certain things. Planning an outing each week is great idea. These are all great suggestions. I’ll add them to the list.

DS usually does sporting camps but we didn’t book anything as we weren’t sure what he would physically be able to do. He was going to be a counselor in training at a camp he went to for years, but he didn’t apply again because we didn’t know what he could do. He’s been holding steady the last month, no pain flares, so he could get out and do some physical activity, it just needs to be low intensity- no soccer camp or chasing after 8 year olds at camp.

The Y pool is like the aquatic center, most times are for lessons and there’s an hour of rec swim where the pool is packed, and DS wouldn’t know any of the kids as it’s not close to our house. I so wish we had community pools like family go to in Michigan, there’s always someone they know there and they go each day for a few hours.

I think we may live in the same general area??? We go to the pools at our local parks and rec. They are open most afternoons and it is super cheap!! I want to say under 18 is free and it is just a few dollars for adults.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast