Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Quote Originally Posted by KpbS View Post
    My eldest is also entering high school in the fall. His closest friend for the last 3 years is moving away so it is a goal of mine for him to connect with some other guys on a somewhat regular basis to build some friendships before the craziness of school starts back up again. So we are taking the initiative and trying to plan at least 2 times to connect on the weeks without camp/vacation. We've gone to get burgers, go swimming, play video games (of course), and will go and get frozen yogurt. There are cheap movies and some classes at the Apple Store to check out. In our area the libraries have special teen hangout/activity times to choose from. My DS too has 4/5 weekly appts so that makes planning a bit of a challenge sometimes, but we will get it done!
    That’s a great idea. I’ll have DS initiate to get out with friends.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

doberbrat is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    Even with activities he still has plenty of downtime.
    I totally agree that downtime is essential during the summer. However, I disagree that 1 hr of work per day is somehow detracting from their summer. I know that my kids will agree with essence.... when they complained last year, I pointed out that I demand about an hour from them per day leaving them with 23h of 'free time' a day. If I dont have dd1 get up at a semi reasonable hr, it screws up meal times and she ends up being starving at 4pm, eating junk and then refusing to eat anything healthy for dinner.

If it works for someone else' family, awesome! But this is what works for us.
    dd1 10/05
    dd2 11/09
    and ... a mini poodle!

niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Default Summer routine??

Quote Originally Posted by doberbrat View Post
    I totally agree that downtime is essential during the summer. However, I disagree that 1 hr of work per day is somehow detracting from their summer. I know that my kids will agree with essence.... when they complained last year, I pointed out that I demand about an hour from them per day leaving them with 23h of 'free time' a day. If I dont have dd1 get up at a semi reasonable hr, it screws up meal times and she ends up being starving at 4pm, eating junk and then refusing to eat anything healthy for dinner.

If it works for someone else' family, awesome! But this is what works for us.
    I agree with this. Ds was protesting 1 hr of math tutoring after 7 hours of doing whatever he wanted. 1 hour is not a hardship, and he had agreed earlier in week to the schedule. I spent my summers working on the family farm, so complaints about 1 hour of work don’t go anywhere, particularly when DS had power of choosing when he does the work. He also must help around the house. I am not raising him to expect someone else to pick up after him. This summer is going to be summer of life skills - cooking, cleaning etc

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    Last edited by niccig; 06-13-2019 at 08:22 PM.

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Check what else your library system might offer - mine offers museum passes (for free!) to a lot of great places in NYC and Philly, as well as a few places here in NJ, so I've reserved one to take DD to the Museum of the American Revolution the week after school lets out. (We will miss the museum's freebie day during Wawa Welcome America because she'll be at daycamp.)

Our system also has a Teen & Adult summer reading program; it's not as splashy as the one for the elementary schoolers, but it's there. Many branches have "take home crafts" where you pick up a baggie with instructions & supplies to make something; these change monthly and run all year.

There are a lot of great (FREE!) programs in the afternoons & evenings that might also appeal to teens - one of the ones I think is coolest is a "life-size CandyLand" game at the headquarters branch. We have yet to do this, but depending on the date for this year's presentation, this may be the year!

There are also free programs & workshops at Apple Store and Microsoft Store locations - check the stores' websites for specific programs, age ranges, and other details. (The ones near me run programs frequently enough to consider using them with my Girl Scouts to earn their "Think Like a Programmer" leadership journey.)

Do you have a Maker Space or other "lab" community where your DS could get together with other kids interested in tech and build things? I don't think we do (yet) but I am still learning.
    Last edited by lizzywednesday; 06-14-2019 at 10:13 AM.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3