Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    infocrazy is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default I have Android, kid getting iPhone issues

I am through and through an Android person. However my kids are firm believers in iPhone... I finally caved and DS will be paying for his own. How do I handle the parental controls? Can I access family apple and limits and screen time requests etc from a non apple? I can't be the only one that has a different phone from their kid...but Google doesn't seem to help.
    Jen

DS in X-Small 7/12, Medium 5/07, and Large 7/05, one DD 3/10, and our DS 4/09 watching over us.

ang79 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

No clue, but I'll be looking forward to answers! DD1 has one of our old iphones, but DD2 may end up using an android that my mom passed down to her. We mostly let them have phones for call/text only, though the do use apps on wifi. I'm so used to my iphone though, not sure how to work with this android!

NCGrandma is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default I have Android, kid getting iPhone issues

Quote Originally Posted by ang79 View Post
    No clue, but I'll be looking forward to answers! DD1 has one of our old iphones, but DD2 may end up using an android that my mom passed down to her. We mostly let them have phones for call/text only, though the do use apps on wifi. I'm so used to my iphone though, not sure how to work with this android!
    My family has mostly iOS devices, both phones and iPads. When DGD1 had an actual need for a phone (because of activities with unpredictable schedules), they got her an Android phone because of an especially good deal. It has been quite frustrating to all because none of them including DGD1 is familiar with the Android OS. DIL just upgraded to an iPhone XR, and took advantage of a "get one free" deal to get an iPhone for DGD1. Everyone is much relieved! For them, being a "mixed operating system" family didn’t work.

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains

mmsmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Do you have an iPad? You can access from there. Otherwise you can set restrictions using a password on the phone itself. But I think you need an i device to manage it remotely.

We all have I devices except DH. He has an android phone but I manage everything so it isn’t a problem except he can’t FaceTime with kids.

infocrazy is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Ugh...not what I'm wanting to hear. We have an ipod but that is it. I find iPhone cumbersome and terrible compared to my Android...I just dont get the love...but I guess it's what you know...
    Jen

DS in X-Small 7/12, Medium 5/07, and Large 7/05, one DD 3/10, and our DS 4/09 watching over us.

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I also have an android and will never switch, my kids have iPhones that my xh bought them. I have their passwords, they use the app 360 (free version) and I'm on their snapchat as a friend. I occasionally check their phones. They are 13 and 16 and I do not limit their internet access.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

khm is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by infocrazy View Post
    Ugh...not what I'm wanting to hear. We have an ipod but that is it. I find iPhone cumbersome and terrible compared to my Android...I just dont get the love...but I guess it's what you know...
    What are you trying to control? There are apps that I'm sure you can get to control wifi access, etc. Something like that one from Disney?

I had Android and my kids had iPhones. I controlled what I wanted by not letting them have their iTunes password. They couldn't add apps by themselves, etc.

But, as far as time restrictions, they are there, but they are pretty poor. I'd had my son's set to do 30 minutes of gaming and all he had to do was change the time and he could go forever. (There is no way to restrict him from changing the time, Apple knows this is a kid workaround, but they do not care as "restricting" isn't really their goal, or something, I can't remember how they worded it.)

You can set it so they have no games or no YouTube, etc.

You can restrict things by Age. So, even if he has a bunch of 16+ games, you can basically restrict him to nothing but 4+ age games. The games don't go away, he just can't play them. I do this as punishment sometimes. He loses YouTube and games but keeps his school messaging and the phone and texting and some lame math game.

I did have each of their accounts also set up on my iPad, so that I would get their iMessage on that device and could see how they texted when they very first got their phones.

I don't know how I could have restricted things if they'd had Androids like I did, so I am not sure getting them Androids would make your life easier anyways?

I do have an iPhone now because I wanted an Apple Watch. I am nerdy though, but didn't find it crazy to get used to both. There are things I both love and hate about BOTH systems. My husband has a Note and I can still help him out on that device without issue.

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I will keep using an iPhone as long as ds1 (and eventually ds2) do. Family sharing is great- he uses my Nike training app all the time plus music. In general you don't have to buy content twice which is an obvious savings. When he was younger I had the control on that he couldn't download apps without my ok. I really love find my iPhone. I know I shouldn't spy but I do enjoy looking sometimes to see where he is especially now that he can drive. And if he does lose his phone, I can trigger the lock settings easily.

khm is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    I will keep using an iPhone as long as ds1 (and eventually ds2) do. Family sharing is great- he uses my Nike training app all the time plus music. In general you don't have to buy content twice which is an obvious savings. When he was younger I had the control on that he couldn't download apps without my ok. I really love find my iPhone. I know I shouldn't spy but I do enjoy looking sometimes to see where he is especially now that he can drive. And if he does lose his phone, I can trigger the lock settings easily.
    We use Life360, which is awesome for new drivers. We just use the free version. Both Android Dad and iPhone Mom can find the kids in a sec and see their driving route, top speed, etc.

I always hear the "buy content twice" thing, but I guess we just don't buy a lot of content. I only ever bought one app for my Android (a keyboard app) and maybe one or two for my iPhone. The kids don't play the same games, so they wouldn't share anyways (I actually dislike Family Sharing and don't use it). They use Spotify (which we do pay for now, DDs birthday gift was the family option) and they never, ever buy music anymore.

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by khm View Post
    We use Life360, which is awesome for new drivers. We just use the free version. Both Android Dad and iPhone Mom can find the kids in a sec and see their driving route, top speed, etc.

I always hear the "buy content twice" thing, but I guess we just don't buy a lot of content. I only ever bought one app for my Android (a keyboard app) and maybe one or two for my iPhone. The kids don't play the same games, so they wouldn't share anyways (I actually dislike Family Sharing and don't use it). They use Spotify (which we do pay for now, DDs birthday gift was the family option) and they never, ever buy music anymore.
    It works for us. I'm glad other people have systems in place that work for them too.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast