Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Help me pack...

SASM is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Help me pack...

DDs and I are headed to Norway next week for 7 days. YAY! The temps are a low of 47* and high of 68*. It will rain off and on almost every day that we are there...we are planning a lot of outdoor activities. Living in the coastal Carolinas where I wear flip flops and DDs wear shorts throughout most of the year, I am struggling with creating a packing list. There is a washing machine in the flat but possibly not a dryer (I need to clarify but wouldn’t be surprised if not from my past European exposure). One friend suggested lots of layers. My husband suggested rain pants (I cannot imagine finding reasonably priced pairs that we’d actually WANT to wear at this point). We are only bringing our carry-on’s, which has a weight limit so I am struggling with streamlining this packing list - well covered and comfortable. Please help!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mom to:
    1 BLUE (03) and 2 PINK (05 & 07)
    ^i^ 10.01 & 12.03

Pardon my typos...blasted Auto-correct!!

I have lots of ideas. We are leaving in a week for Iceland, so slightly colder temps. Layers, layers, layers. Leggings for bottoms. Plus rain pants (I can fit into boys size XL, they were $20. DH has men’s Columbia ones for $37...they are pretty unisex but have down to a 30” inseam). We also have rain shells. Plus fleece jackets and packable down coats. Plus long underwear (purchased last fall at Costco) and basic long sleeve tops. Boys have athletic pants for their bottoms. We all have waterproof hiking shoes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

KpbS is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I own a pair of this brand rain pants and they are great!
    https://www.amazon.com/Helly-Hansen-...ateway&sr=8-35

ETA also very lightweight
    Last edited by KpbS; 06-13-2019 at 01:48 PM.
    K

Look at the percentage of rain though. Unless it’s torrential downpours, I would forego rain-pants. I grew up in Ireland where rain is always ever so present and never wore a pair! I also went up to Norway, Sweden May-July months and was fine.

I think more important items is rain jackets lined with fleece. That’s what I’d bring! And your DD and even yourself can wear leggings with great pair of shoes. Long sleeve thin tops, layered with said rain jackets and a sweater with fleece jacket for evenings. But remember, you’ll have daylights until 10pm at least. I wouldn’t bring jeans nor wear them as they can feel uncomfortable when damp, not to mention bulky! I usually wear my skorts, so I would just do longer version pants from Athlete.

-many pairs of leggings (light to pack!)
    -long sleeve thin tops
    -rain jackets
    -fleece jackets (wear them during day of travel)
    -wear bulkiest sneakers (pack another pair of good supporting waterproof shoes)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Mummy to DS1-6/11 and DS2-1/14

ahisma is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Rain pants are great. DH recently had a pair on a school trip and everyone was envious. They also make rain skirts if you prefer.

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Those temperatures are my least favorite to pack for. We did NYC recently and it was a high of only 55, low 43 and rain- buckets and buckets of rain. I was grateful for my Athleta pants because the fabric wicked vs absorbed water, like everyone's jeans did. They were jogger style vs leggings and they worked well.

EXTRA socks!!! EXTRA shoes!! Newspaper!! Those are musts- newspaper to shove in shoes overnight to absorb water.

Otherwise, yes, layers. Pants, long sleeve or fleece (you can rewear those) and t-shirts plus a rain jacket. If it isn't all day rain, skip the rain jacket and do umbrellas. I'd pack (wear on the plane, actually) a fleece or hoodie.

I did have my fleece lined rain shell and it was fabulous but I would have been too hot if it was 67 degrees.

We were in Norway last summer, and I’ll reiterate the importance of layers and quick drying clothing. DD and DH had rain pants with them, which were great when we were heading back to car after excursions/hikes and didn’t have space, etc. to change. Kept them dry and cozy underneath and easy to take off. Flip flops for when you’re inside and shoes are wet.

We loved it - I hope you do, too!

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains

marinkitty is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Take rain pants! If it's anything like Iceland you will be so glad. We've done Patagonia and Iceland the past couple of years and I have been so grateful I had them on both trips. We found some at REI that were cheap and could easily be pulled on over leggings.

Bring wool socks - a couple more pairs than you would normally bring so you can swap out wet ones if needed.
    Bring a mix of leggings, hiking pants, fleece pants, rain pants.
    Bring tech fabric shirts - tank/SS and LS that you can layer under your heavier layers.
    Take a lightweight but warm fleece that fits under your puffer and rain coat.
    Take a light puffer
    Take a good rain coat that breaths
    Beanie hat, buff, baseball cap, sunglasses and gloves.
    Eye mask for sleeping.
    Waterproof hikers and flip flops.

Kindra178 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Rain coat
    Fleece / down sweater for underneath
    waterproof sneakers / waterproof hikers
    at least 8 pairs of socks each
    flip flops / slides for inside
    one sweathshirt and flannel pajama pants for room lounging
    hat and gloves for sure
    Rain pants are a great idea

ahisma is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post

I did have my fleece lined rain shell and it was fabulous but I would have been too hot if it was 67 degrees.
    Yes to this. I love a fleece lined rain shell, but not when traveling with a carry-on. I bring a fleece and a separate rain shell so I can wear them independently or together. If you need a lightweight affordable raincoat, look at the Marmot Precip. You can almost always find a good deal in last year's colors.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast