bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default Invites via Facebook?

What is the etiquette on being invited to a party via Facebook? I logged in the other day and I see an alert that I have an invite. The link takes me to a graduation party for two girls I have never spoken to (have had maybe 2 conversations with their mom). I don’t even know if I’m invited? Or if this is for my DS1 who is around their ages but doesn’t have a FB account. I hate ignoring invitations but I feel like I need like at least a paragraph to understand what this is actually about. And I’m annoyed that now I’m somehow on the hook for doing the legwork to understand this event that I don’t think I’ll be attending to make sure that I decline properly. (The Kim friended me because she sells as part of a MLM company)

What do I need to do here? Am I out of line to be irritated by these kinds of invites? (I’m FINE with invites via evite, text or phone call for the record!)

Would love to hear your thoughts.

PS what I know or the girls is that they’re wonderful. We’re just not close!

basil is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I don’t think that’s anything to do with facebook, just lack of specifics on the invite?

I’ve used Facebook invites before, usually for family parties cause then everyone has the time and date and place. I don’t find it substantially different from evite.

I think I would just decline....there should be a button for that...no additional explanation necessary.

I got an invite years ago to a Halloween party for my kids. Our older kids were same age, so it isn’t Facebook for the lack of details. Sounds like just poor output of info by the hostess.

I would just decline altogether, especially if you don’t know her. That particular person just probably just put it on eblast to everyone on her FB list vs selecting who’s yup want from your FB list.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Mummy to DS1-6/11 and DS2-1/14

KpbS is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I've gotten the type of invite that obviously went to everyone on their fb friend list and I've gotten a specific invite for DS2, a party organized via fb. I would decline. Graduation parties are a dime a dozen this year and the reality is you just can't attend all the parties and give all the gifts to all of the graduates.
    K

klwa is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Well, since you mentioned that they might be really inviting your son, I'd ask him if he wants to go to them unless there's no way to go.

I'm not really sure why this annoys you more than an evite, since they usually seem to have similar levels of information to a Facebook invite. I've gotten more than one evite and had to go to my kids to find out whose friend this is, etc.

I've been using Facebook events for my kids' parties for a few years now, although that's mainly for family. It works well, and keeps the invite info in a spot they can find easily so I don't get five texts the morning of asking "What time are we supposed to be there, again?"
    -Kris
    DS (9/05)
    DD (8/08)
    DD (9/12)

I don't know why they irritate me too--they feel more like spam. Though I've only gotten invites for commercial events or MLM "parties" via FB. I would just ignore it and assume they sent it out to their entire friend list.

Sometimes people don’t have easy access to emails but hate FB or can find the parent on FB. I’ve been invited to gatherings but for smaller events and people I knew. I’d ask your son and assume you are not invited or just decline. It isn’t anything to be irritated about. Declining is okay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve never gotten an evite that specified who’s invited. I always have to email and ask if it’s twin A or B. So, I’m used to having to clarify, it’s not a big deal. I think this is more an issue with your friend rather than FB. She may see this as a business opportunity. Not that she’ll necessarily be selling to her guests, but that she feels she needs to invite her clients. Regardless, unless you think your DS wants to go, declining is easy enough. If he doesn’t want to go.

My kids have never been invited to a party vía FB. Probably because they’re not old enough to have accounts.
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I definitely wouldn't feel bad declining (unless your DS actually wants to go, which it sounds like he doesn't even really know them). To me it just looks like she's hoping for a big turnout/bash for her DD's graduation and invited everyone in her FB friend list, or messed up on FB and accidentally invited everyone on her friend list.

I would just decline and congratulate her on her daughters when you next see her.
    Last edited by twowhat?; 06-16-2019 at 11:14 AM.