Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Stinky Stuff

Twoboos is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Stinky Stuff

We've got a bit of a laundry stink problem going on here. Advice on either/both appreciated!!

1) DH has been working out a ton lately. If he's home sometimes he'll just be in regular cotton shirts. Everything gets soaked and he leaves it in a pile. If he's a the gym he rolls everything up all sweaty and leaves it in his bag. Needless to say - yuck. Isn't there a laundry detergent that's supposed to help with workout clothes, and does it work? Any other workout clothes tips?

2) Towels. DH and I grab from the same pile of towels, then they are put on our own hook to dry after shower. His towel aways stinks, even though it could be one I used recently and have since washed! It makes no sense. Unless he's bigger than me so the towel is wetter and doesn't dry as well? I wash towels with very little detergent, on hot and with vinegar, and usually do these on deep water wash.

We have a top loader but with the impeller (flat thing not the agitator).
    "Every mother needs a wife." - Amy Poehler, Yes Please

doberbrat is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I finally stopped washing dh's clothes with ours due to the stink. He must now do his own laundry separately. He uses oxyclean or lestoil with his laundry.

Frankly, your dh's refusal to let things dry properly is contributing to the problem.

for the towels, bleach is your answer. and making sure they dry fully. In our house, hanging on a hook doesnt spread it out enough to fully dry. The girls & I throw ours over a door or a gate to dry fully and we dont have any stink issues. DH hangs his on a hook and it smells.

You could also try dumping a cup of reg listerine in the laundry. That is supposed to help kill germs and therefore smell.

finally, run a laundry cycle on hot w/bleach and make sure you're leaving the door open after loads. You want to make sure your washer isnt part of the problem.
    dd1 10/05
    dd2 11/09
    and ... a mini poodle!

mikala is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I've had luck with Rockin Green sport on nasty workout clothes. Wirecutter recommends tide febreze so that might also be one to try.

Whatever you use I'd try to let things dry out as much as possible by hanging the towels where they aren't bunched up or switching to thinner towels that dry faster.

I also agree with pp to do a washer clean cycle.

Vinegar. Pour a generous portion of vinegar into your wash. With the towels, make sure you’re not using too much soap. Before washing them next time, you might want to run them through several rinse cycles just to make sure you’ve got all the residual soap out. Make sure you always do a second rinse cycle with towels. The vinegar will deodorize. The vinegar smell goes away once the item is dry.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

Gracemom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I add oxyclean odor blasters powder to the wash. It works great for us.

urquie is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

For stinky towels, I soaked them in the washer with vinegar and water before starting the load… Using maybe twice as much vinegar as a regular load of laundry.

cagey is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

Vinegar for towels.
    For workout and synthetics, I throw in a 1/2 of Baking soda into the wash and it def seems to help. I also DONT use detergent on workout clothes, but soapnuts from my cloth diapering days they don’t leave a residue. I think most of the problem is the soap residue holding the stink!

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

For workout clothes def don't use fabric softener or drier sheets. The tech fabrics aren't compatible with softener...I'm assuming it lessens the breathability and traps odor.
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

urquie is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by wendibird22 View Post
    For workout clothes def don't use fabric softener or drier sheets. The tech fabrics aren't compatible with softener...I'm assuming it lessens the breathability and traps odor.
    Never really thought about it… But ever since I started using these dryer balls, I haven’t had any stinky bath towels or exercise clothes etc. A couple glugs of vinegar in the wash and dryer balls in the dryer has solved the problems we used to have... however there is a bit more static cling, but not a big deal.

https://amazon.com/Smart-Sheep-Premium-Reusable-Softener/dp/B00GA9P5P0/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=3FL4JWRZ13VD2&keywords=dryer+ balls+laundry&qid=1560923169&s=gateway&sprefix=Dri er+balls%2Caps%2C528&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1

Kindra178 is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Vinegar into wash. Or Nature’s Miracle oxy.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast