Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    ♥ms.pacman♥ is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default weight loss update (update #)

I’ve now lost 10 lbs in about 3.5 months , mainly from just incorporating more fresh greens and fruits into my diet. I drink a green smoothie every morning for breakfast. I also drink a green juice (homemade) most days mid-morning. I think it does tons for my digestion and for curbing cravings and reduce how much I eat in general.

I have been doing Daily Harvest deliveries for past couple months and that makes it easy. Many of the bowls are 250-350 calories and are surprisingly filling and fresh-tasting. I often eat one soup bowl for lunch at work.

Anyway just thought I would give an update in case it helps anyone. I was really struggling at the end of last year and beginning of this year (holidays plus my kids bdays). Now all my clothes fit again!!! ��

Also, I should point out I haven’t increased my exercise at all- I do pure barre 3-4x a week and that is mostly it. For me, weight loss is ALL about diet and no amount of exercising will cause significant fat loss. i only do the exercise for the toning and for well-being and stress-relief..i fairly certain i could easily drop it and wouldn't gain weight. I’m 41.

eta: i added a screenshot of my weight in 2019, logged by Fitbit Aria scale (i am such a geek, i know). I started doing green smoothies everyday in March and juicing in April. The weight just comes off pretty easily. I am one who doesn't like eating vegetables in general but in juice or smoothie form it is world of difference.

eta2: i discovered this by accident after getting my Vitamix in 2013, which was mainly to get my kids (toddlers at the time) to eat veggies after reading all the raves on here. I ended up drinking smoothies myself and noticed i lost weight without even trying (didn't exercise at all at the time). https://windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/sh...45#post3737045 . and here is more recent thread from end of April on it https://windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/sh...35#post4331835
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by ♥ms.pacman♥; 10-18-2019 at 12:43 PM.

Thanks for updating! I've been frustrated with my weight loss but (about 3 lbs) it's only been just under a month (using a nutritionist - low carb, 6 snacks/meals a day). I also do mostly pure barre 3-5x/week (trying to add some walking). Very slow going. But it's encouraging to see that 10 lbs after 3.5 months is still 10lbs! and I should just keep plugging along.
    DD1 - 1996
    DD2 - 1999
    DD3 - 2005

Surfaces are for working, not for storing. - Peter Walsh

fauve01 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by ♥ms.pacman♥ View Post
    I’ve now lost 10 lbs in about 3.5 months , mainly from just incorporating more fresh greens and fruits into my diet. I drink a green smoothie every morning for breakfast. I also drink a green juice (homemade) most days mid-morning. I think it does tons for my digestion and for curbing cravings and reduce how much I eat in general.
    congrats! will you share your green smoothie and green juice recipes please??? do you use a blender and juicer? Do you make them and drink them right away or do they keep (as in, can you make it in the morning and take it for lunch?) Do your kids drink them too?

wendibird22 is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Great update! I'm still riding the struggle bus. I upped my running frequency/mileage and continue to lose and gain the same 3 lbs. I have an additional 5lbs I'd like to lose. I'm intrigued by IF and am thinking about trying that.
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

Quote Originally Posted by wendibird22 View Post
    Great update! I'm still riding the struggle bus. I upped my running frequency/mileage and continue to lose and gain the same 3 lbs. I have an additional 5lbs I'd like to lose. I'm intrigued by IF and am thinking about trying that.
    for me running did nothing to help me lose weight. nothing. which sucks because i LOVE running - the runner's high, the stress relief etc. for some people i am sure it works, but i think if you are already running a decent amount and not seeing progress on the scale i would focus on trying something else. once i finally did that it was sooo much easier. for me doing too much exercise would have countereffect and make me eat more.

Quote Originally Posted by fauve01 View Post
    congrats! will you share your green smoothie and green juice recipes please??? do you use a blender and juicer? Do you make them and drink them right away or do they keep (as in, can you make it in the morning and take it for lunch?) Do your kids drink them too?
    my kids will drink the smoothies (sometimes) but they don't like the green juices i make. it doesn't bother me though because i make the juices for DH & I.

for green juice, i use Joe Cross's "Mean Green" recipe. i have a Breville juicer just like the one from "Fat Sick and Nearly Dead" . here is the recipe: https://www.rebootwithjoe.com/mean-green-juice/

I make double the recipe (2 two cucumbers, 8 celery stalks, 4 apples, etc...) which usually makes four 16-oz servings. i pour them into lidded glasses. i usually make the juice on Sundays and chill it in the fridge then i take 1 serving of juice on Monday and Tuesdays to work and drink around 10 or 11am, before lunch. i do the same on Wednesdays so i have juice to take Thursday and Friday. i make double recipe bc my DH drinks them too - otherwise i woudln't double it - juice only lasts 2-3 days max. i've noticed then when i eat lunch i get full much faster and don't eat as much. i no longer snack at all. the juice themselves does not much have calories at all (it is like 110 calories per 16 oz serving i think) but it is way more filling than most other snacks i used to eat.

for other juice recipes, i got Joe Cross' juice app (i think maybe it's $2 or something cheap) that has a ton of recipes that you can search by ingredient. i make my kids a pineapple, orange and cranberry juice (i found the recipe on that app) that they just eat up and beg for all the time. i buy a whole pineapple from Whole Foods which is dirt cheap ($3 for entire pineapple).

i think the whole juicing trend is legit, provided most of the juices have decent amount of greens (spinach, kale, etc) and it's not just all fruit, and plus you complement it with other healhty eating. i think i am getting tons of vitamins and nutrients i was not getting before (and i have been vegan for 1.5 years now). also, headaches are completely gone now.
    Last edited by ♥ms.pacman♥; 06-17-2019 at 03:19 PM.

niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

There’s a saying, you can’t outrun a bad diet. I agree it’s about 80% diet and 20% exercise. I do 18:6 intermittent fasting, and it keeps my snacking in check so I’m not overdoing calories. I exercise to increase cardio stamina and gain muscle.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

Quote Originally Posted by niccig View Post
    There’s a saying, you can’t outrun a bad diet. I agree it’s about 80% diet and 20% exercise. I do 18:6 intermittent fasting, and it keeps my snacking in check so I’m not overdoing calories. I exercise to increase cardio stamina and gain muscle.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    Sooo true. And I was vegan, never drank soda or coffee, avoided gluten, never ate takeout or pizza or what not and still couldn’t lose weight . I realized I still was eating a lot of processed foods. Once I upped my greens (which was smoothies or juices, otherwise I couldn’t do it) I started to see a dramatic difference and the weight came off so easily. I am still vegan but I have much less processed food and eat much less.

i am trying to impart this knowledge on my son - he is on swim team and is so hungry all the time and wants to eat pizza, sweets, cereal, processed food. I don’t want to give him free reign on processed food even though he works out so much bc I know how hard of a habit it is to break. We are focusing on eating fresh fruits etc. it is soo hard though bc in school gets they so much crappy snacks (Oreos, cheeZits, etc).
    Last edited by ♥ms.pacman♥; 06-17-2019 at 03:59 PM.

citymama is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Wow, that's amazing!

for Sandy Hook

Thought I would update here now that it has been few more months - I have continued having a smoothie (usually with greens) every morning, drinking fresh vegetable juices most days. My exercise has fallen by the wayside as I have gotten busy with work and kids activities ...I do pure barre maybe just once a week now and yoga once a week. But I have continued to lose weight and haven’t gained. Once again it is allll about diet / amount of eating for me.

I will try to post a plot of my progress showing dramatic change. I really do think having greens in juices every day helps curb hunger and helps me eat less. I cut out most processed foods.

I now understand the craze for juice fast and the like. It seems to curb cravings. But I don’t think I could do a nice cleanse for 48 hours or even 24. I always need to eat something for breakfast!
    Last edited by ♥ms.pacman♥; 10-18-2019 at 12:45 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast