Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Poison oak

niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Default Poison oak

Were going camping with DH’s work - it’s really glamping. The sites FAQs say poison oak is prevalent. I don’t have long trousers for hiking, have calf length pants, and DS will only wear shorts. Will this be a problem?

What do I need in first aid kit for poison oak?
    I don’t even know what it looks like, off to google images.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

It can be miserable and worth buying pants for yourself and insisting (as best you can) on pants for ds. If he refuses, then has a reaction, let him know the complaints department is closed and hand him some calamine or whatever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Default Poison oak

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    It can be miserable and worth buying pants for yourself and insisting (as best you can) on pants for ds. If he refuses, then has a reaction, let him know the complaints department is closed and hand him some calamine or whatever.

Even if we won’t be going off the trails and just doing easy hikes?

This is how much of my leg is exposed.

I do have 1 pair of pants I could wear (Athleta boyfriend) but they’re thicker material so hotter. Ds could wear his adidas track pants

Sent from my iPhone using Baby BargainsImage1560821495.278461.jpg
    Last edited by niccig; 06-17-2019 at 09:33 PM.

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default Poison oak

Without knowing what the trails look like, his maintained they are...it’s impossible to say whether you’ll be ok. I’d pack pants. I don’t think it’d be on their website if it weren’t a common problem. You might find it’s really hard to avoid.

KpbS is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I would buy these pants, really lightweight zip off pants from a sports store like Academy. DS has a pair and loves them. https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/mag...31&Channel=pla
    K

squimp is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Know what it looks like so you can avoid it. That is the best advice I can give you. I am super allergic and have managed to just walk around it for years now.

I would bring some technu and wash off arms and legs when you get back to camp. Assuming that glamping means there is a shower nearby. The oils are what get you with PO, so if you are wearing pants but then touch the pants you can still get it. We have a gallon jug of this stuff in our shower at home, lol.

https://www.amazon.com/Tecnu-Origina...dp/B000A7S3WK/

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I’ve been on Southern California hikes that have narrow passage ways that make it extremely difficult to avoid poison oak. That said, I’ve never had a problem and actually “gotten” poison oak. I’m just careful.

I never wear pants if staying on the trail, but I know what it looks like. When you get there, have someone show you, which is better than internet pictures, so you can be careful.

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

If you chose to get pants for yourself I HIGHLY recommend these roll up pants from REI: https://www.rei.com/product/119941/r...p-pants-womens. My SIL had them (she hikes all the time) and convinced me to get them. They were my go to pants for WDW in December and I continue to wear them for hikes and weather variable days. They dry off in an instant, keep you cool, pack easily (they roll up small and don't wrinkle). You won't win any fashion awards but they are great nonetheless. Oh and there's a cinch cord in the waist for custom fit...I sized up for my thicker thighs.
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

sariana is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by squimp View Post
    Know what it looks like so you can avoid it. That is the best advice I can give you. I am super allergic and have managed to just walk around it for years now.

I would bring some technu and wash off arms and legs when you get back to camp. Assuming that glamping means there is a shower nearby. The oils are what get you with PO, so if you are wearing pants but then touch the pants you can still get it. We have a gallon jug of this stuff in our shower at home, lol.

https://www.amazon.com/Tecnu-Origina...dp/B000A7S3WK/
    Agree about the oils. You might be better off wearing shorts and washing your legs well when you get back. Handling contaminated clothing is more difficult to control than washing bare skin.

But the best advice is to know what it looks like and avoid it.
    DS '04 "Boogaboo"
    DD '08 "Lilybear"

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast