Thread: ipod help?

kali is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

Default ipod help?

My kids' sleepaway camp doesn't allow any electronic devices except for music players. No internet, no phones, no streaming. However, both of them need to listen to music or audiobooks to fall asleep.

If I buy used ipod shuffles or nanos can I still sync with iTunes? And is there a way to download audiobooks that I own from Audible?

Finally, my son tells me that if we have an Apple Music subscription he can download music to an ipod via iTunes much the same way that Spotify lets you download music to listen to offline on an iphone. Does anyone know if that's actually possible, and if so how do I do it? Thanks!

legaleagle is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

We recently got music onto an ancient ipod from itunes (plugging into the computer directly) without issues but I don't know the details since DH handled it.

khm is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by kali View Post
    My kids' sleepaway camp doesn't allow any electronic devices except for music players. No internet, no phones, no streaming. However, both of them need to listen to music or audiobooks to fall asleep.

If I buy used ipod shuffles or nanos can I still sync with iTunes? And is there a way to download audiobooks that I own from Audible?

Finally, my son tells me that if we have an Apple Music subscription he can download music to an ipod via iTunes much the same way that Spotify lets you download music to listen to offline on an iphone. Does anyone know if that's actually possible, and if so how do I do it? Thanks!
    Music should be fine with iTunes. Audiobooks, just make sure you sync them as Audiobooks not Music, otherwise it won't keep your place in the book. Audible probably works seamlessly, I'm not sure though.

Apple Music probably requires the app, which you won't have on an old iPod, unless it is a Touch, which it doesn't sound like you can use. I did find an article about it, no idea how helpful it is. https://www.m4vgear.com/apple-music/...ipod-nano.html

mmsmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I’m not sure of the answer to your question but iTunes is being discontinued (it may have already).

ETA: Camp is exhausting! I would be surprised if they didn’t fall asleep as soon as their head hit the pillow. Counselors at my DC’s camp say they are all usually asleep by the time they turn out the lights.
    Last edited by mmsmom; 06-19-2019 at 10:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mmsmom View Post
    I’m not sure of the answer to your question but iTunes is being discontinued (it may have already).

ETA: Camp is exhausting! I would be surprised if they didn’t fall asleep as soon as their head hit the pillow. Counselors at my DC’s camp say they are all usually asleep by the time they turn out the lights.
    From a Mac, iTunes is being broken up into separate components for Music, TV, Podcasts, Apple Books (for audiobooks), etc.

From Windows, iTunes is the same.

She'll be able to use whatever they are calling it now to put music onto old iPods, I believe.

kali is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

Thank you everyone for your input. We've figured out how to download podcasts and audio books but are still working on downloading music. it's not that we don't want to pay for music; it just seems unfair to not be able to download music that i have a steaming subscription for.

khm: The link you sent was quite thought-provoking. Thanks for sending it.

mmsmom: I totally agree that sleepaway camp is exhausting, but both my kids are anxious and have trouble sleeping. The older one has been going to camp for years and still needs music to unwind. This is the younger one's first experience with sleepaway camp and we're trying to replicate at least part of her bedtime routines

Philly Mom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I would guess you need to actually own the music to download onto an old school iPod.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

nfowife is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

My kids have old iPod shuffles from eBay for camp and you need to own the songs to download to it. One idea would be to burn a CD of downloaded streaming songs, then upload those into iTunes much like if you bought a physical CD at the store. But we just make them choose from what we have purchased, camp isn’t forever, just a few weeks for my kids and they make do.
    M, mommy to A 2005, E 2007, and L 2010

Quote Originally Posted by kali View Post
    Thank you everyone for your input. We've figured out how to download podcasts and audio books but are still working on downloading music. it's not that we don't want to pay for music; it just seems unfair to not be able to download music that i have a steaming subscription for.

khm: The link you sent was quite thought-provoking. Thanks for sending it.

mmsmom: I totally agree that sleepaway camp is exhausting, but both my kids are anxious and have trouble sleeping. The older one has been going to camp for years and still needs music to unwind. This is the younger one's first experience with sleepaway camp and we're trying to replicate at least part of her bedtime routines
    You can't download the music because you don't own those songs. The device needs the app to know you are subscribed and to then play them, your iPod cannot install that app.

Once you unsubscribe, you will also no longer have access to those songs. It is just part of the "subscription model" world we are living in now. You subscribe to basically borrow music onto approved devices for as long as you pay the price.

I read the article I linked a bit closer, and I doubt it still works. It is removing DRM, which Apple Music probably caught onto. Sorry for the lame link!