niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Default Lunch when hiking

I need to prepare lunch for the 3 of us when hiking. I値l have food in cooler at the camp site, but one day we値l pack lunch and eat as a picnic on the hike. I worry about keeping food like ham cold. Any suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

sariana is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by niccig View Post
    I need to prepare lunch for the 3 of us when hiking. I’ll have food in cooler at the camp site, but one day we’ll pack lunch and eat as a picnic on the hike. I worry about keeping food like ham cold. Any suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    I don't worry about processed lunch meat. It can handle a day (really half a day) in a lunch, especially if you pack it next to a cold drink (or similar). We usually take turkey sandwiches or peanut butter and jelly. In order for the sun to be hot enough to make the meat go bad through a backpack and lunch bag, the sun would be too hot for you to be hiking anyway.
    DS '04 "Boogaboo"
    DD '08 "Lilybear"

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by sariana View Post
    I don't worry about processed lunch meat. It can handle a day (really half a day) in a lunch, especially if you pack it next to a cold drink (or similar). We usually take turkey sandwiches or peanut butter and jelly. In order for the sun to be hot enough to make the meat go bad through a backpack and lunch bag, the sun would be too hot for you to be hiking anyway.
    Same! If it just needs to be cold to lunch I feel like it should be ok. Dinner wouldn稚 work but lunch I would be ok with. And I tend to just eat a slightly earlier lunch too with a big snack later.

Yup, sandwiches with deli meat is standard lunch when the boys go hiking with their boy scout troops.
    Mommy to 2 DS's (2003 and 2007)

doberbrat is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

we do alot of nutella sandwiches when hiking. or that super processed laughing cow cheese which doesnt need to be kept cold. We pair it with fruit or applesauce, chips or crackers and sometimes a small desert.

frozen juice boxes will keep sandwiches cold as well. a neoprene bag helps keep things cold w/o being as heavy as a regular lunchbox.
    dd1 10/05
    dd2 11/09
    and ... a mini poodle!

You'll be fine for less than a day. Heck, I eat Kraft cheddar cheese that has been a backpack for DAYS and it's still good. Make sure you buy stuff with plenty of preservatives. Mozzarella cheese sticks are great. pb&j is always a favorite.
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05
    Percy--the wild furry child!!! 2022----
    Simon--the first King Charles cutie 2009-2022
    RIP Andy, the furry first child, 1996-2012

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."

JustMe is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

If there are no nut allergies some kind of nut butter sandwich and fruit is what we do.
    lucky single mom to 20 yr old dd and 17 yr old ds through 2 very different adoption routes

Momit is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

We got these Star Kist tuna lunch packs for a recent hiking trip. They come with a little tray and a spoon plus tuna, mayo and relish packets, and crackers.
    DS age 9