Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default How much sleep do you get?

The thread about dinner & evening sports made me think after OP revealed she goes to bed at 8:30-9pm.

It made me think of how much sleep we get on average, and whether you’re happy with that habit or need more/less to function next day?

Are you getting to bed late because of your kids later evening practices? Out of habit night owl? Or wanting to catch up on things before bed?

I find I need sold 7 hours to really function well overall. I can survive 5/6 couple of evenings but always get to bed an hour or 90 mins earlier following night.

I was almost like the OP in terms of being done for the night 8:30pm. My kids are similar age as hers, but I always stayed up late as night owl by nature. I have to if I wanted to catch up couple of tv shows or read a book or two! That’s changing now though; everything gets pushed back to 9pm and I’m working now which makes me want to use my 9-11pm to catch up with emails, life, chores to do, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Mummy to DS1-6/11 and DS2-1/14

ahisma is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

6 hours. I really need 8. I'm overloaded, try to juggle working from home with parenting, and am a night owl. I'm working on it.

PunkyBoo is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

On a good night I get almost 7, but that isn't enough for me. I get up before 5 and WOH full time. I try to go to bed between 9-9:30 but it almost never works out. DS1 is a teenager who doesn't go to bed until 10:30-11 (at best) so I usually leave him and DH watching tv. We actually don't have many late kid activities anymore, except when DS1 needs a ride home from football games in the fall(he's in marching band). DS2 doesn't do team sports. It's just laundry, dishes, needing to talk to DH, planning for next day, getting hooked watching a show, DS2 pushing back on his bedtime routine, etc that keeps me up later than I'd like. I usually "make up" lost sleep in the weekend by sleeping in till 7 or 8, even though I know that's not actually helping me.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Mama to DS1 Punkin (2/04) and DS2 Boo (1/09)

PZMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

During the school year I get to bed around 10, but have to be up by 5, so only about 7 hours. During the summer I stay up until 11ish, and don’t get up until 8 or 9, plus take naps several times a week. My body crashes after a long stressful school year!

Default How much sleep do you get?

I really need minimum of 8 hours, but preferably 9. Lately I have been staying up until 10:30-11 a lot, and when the kids wake me up at 7 I am not fully rested and ready to get up. During the school year I often need to get up sometime between 5:30-6:30 depending on my schedule, and I go to sleep sometime between 9-10. Usually I get I to bed between 8-9 and read or watch a show for a little bit before going to sleep. This works fine for me because my kids still go to bed at 6:30-7.

Edit: I was the kid who rarely begged to stay up late, and going to bed at 10 has always been “late” for me, even in high school and college. When I was a teen and did sports with practice until 8-9 at a place 30+ minutes from home, that meant doing homework before practice (sometimes in the car), eating dinner in the car afterward, and going to bed as soon as I got home.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by gymnbomb; 06-18-2019 at 09:09 PM.
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I am good with 7-7.5. I do 11-12 til 7-8am. I am a night owl as are my kids.

doberbrat is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I typically fall asleep on the couch for an hour or 2 while watching TV then wake up and do stuff on the computer, clean the kitchen, walk the dogs and go to bed around 2am. I LOVE to walk the dogs in the middle of the night when its calm, cool and SILENT! Then I read in bed for an hour or more. I'm rarely asleep before 3. Overall, I get 4-6h a night when I'm working. Weekends I catch up and sleep till noon.

I dont know how everyone else gets stuff done so fast. I started dinner around 5pm today. Shake and bake type coating on pork chops with roasted cauliflower, sweet potatoes and veggies. Dinner wasnt ready till 7:30. That is pretty early for us. but I'm still not clear how it all takes so long when everyone else can apparently make dinner in 30min.
    Last edited by doberbrat; 06-18-2019 at 10:17 PM.
    dd1 10/05
    dd2 11/09
    and ... a mini poodle!

I need 8-9 hours. I have always needed lots of sleep. I try to get in bed by 10 and up at 6:30. I nap on weekends too.
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05
    Percy--the wild furry child!!! 2022----
    Simon--the first King Charles cutie 2009-2022
    RIP Andy, the furry first child, 1996-2012

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."

♥ms.pacman♥ is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

6.5-7 hours. I wake up at 5:30 every morning and go to bed 10:30-11. I don’t sleep in on weekends bc it screws up my schedule. I feel like I’m so much more efficient in the early mornings. I swear I need less sleep now because I stopped sleeping in on weekends.

i cannot imagine sleeping 9 hours a night- I would get nothing done, never spend time with my DH. I feel like as it is I spend a lot of waking hours doing chores. I feel like so much time in evenings is taken by doing dishes and cleaning. I need downtime way more than I need sleep.
    Last edited by ♥ms.pacman♥; 06-18-2019 at 11:41 PM.

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I don’t need more than 7. But I find I can’t do endless amounts of 5-6 hour nights like I used to. Must be one of the perks of getting older. I most definitely prioritize time alone over sleep (sometimes isn’t good for me!) and I’m a total morning person. I often wake up before 5 naturally and because I like time by myself it’s the best.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast