Thread: Old Forge, NY

gamma is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default Old Forge, NY

My DGS will be going to camp in Old Forge, NY at the end of July. I will be driving him there from North Jersey and have to return to pick him up 2 weeks later. Are any of you familiar with the area? Is there anything along the way to stop and see to break up the trip? Also, I will have to spend the night of the parent presentation near Old Forge, but for the other nights, I wouldn't mind driving part way, staying over and finishing the last hour or 2 that day. I'm not very interested in camping, hiking or cabin life and much prefer a nice hotel. To drop him off, I may bring my other DGS, who is 15 with me.

There’s so much! You’ll pass through the Hudson Valley, and, if you go a slightly longer route, you’ll go through Saratoga and Lake George. You’ll be passing through multiple vacation destinations, so I’m not sure what you’re looking for. How much time would you want to spend doing things? Would you stay overnight at several places along the route, or are you looking for brief stops along the way?

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

gamma is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I will stay the night of Parent's Day as near to the camp as I can find a nice hotel. We won't finish until 9pm that day. I would like to stay over one night on the way up there and one night on the way home.

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

It's about a 6 hour drive I believe, so I'd probably just stop somewhere for lunch along the way and any other places along, unless you find something special in between to stay over at. Maybe explore around Old Forge?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Default Old Forge, NY

I think I know of the camp you’re making the trip. I’ve tons of friends who made that similar trek for their kids parents night, so can ask where they stayed near camp site.

Then I can PM you. So be on the lookout for one from me.

I don’t know whether you can swing it, but Finger lakes is gorgeous! As well Saratoga Springs for that one night before parents nights.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by DualvansMommy; 06-20-2019 at 09:23 PM.
    Mummy to DS1-6/11 and DS2-1/14

gobadgers is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

We have family in Saratoga and are going this summer! It's a great place to visit. You could check the track schedule and the schedule for SPAC, the outdoor music spot. I've always wanted to visit a spa there - they sounds amazing. There are some great historic sites nearby too.
    -Christine

DD, 9/07
    DS, 5/09
    and a very tolerant pup