Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    bisous is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default Swimming and long, curly hair!

How do I keep DDs hair from getting super tangly and dried out! Is there a certain hairstyle that works better than others? I just swim with mine down and it’s fine. DD has naturally curly hair and it gets really, really snarly. I think a pony tail also gets it snarly around the base. What works for you?

doberbrat is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

braid it.

get it wet with plain water, untangle it and apply conditioner or coconut oil. Then put in an elastic like for a ponytail and braid it w/a 2nd elastic at the bottom. A cap helps alot too if you can get her to wear it.
    Last edited by doberbrat; 06-21-2019 at 11:46 AM. Reason: add with plain water
    dd1 10/05
    dd2 11/09
    and ... a mini poodle!

ellies mom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Definitely a braid. My youngest will put her hair in a bun sometimes too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Veronica

Miss Ellie 11/03
    Baby Audrey 4/08

Swim cap? Ds2 has curly hair and he prefers to wear a swim cap otherwise it’s long and in his face.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

Quote Originally Posted by doberbrat View Post
    braid it.

get it wet, untangle it and apply conditioner or coconut oil. Then put in an elastic like for a ponytail and braid it w/a 2nd elastic at the bottom. A cap helps alot too if you can get her to wear it.
    So... wet and condition prior to swimming and then braid. Yeah, that sounds like it would reduce tangles and probably keep it healthier too! Her curly hair is so susceptible to drying out!

Quote Originally Posted by ellies mom View Post
    Definitely a braid. My youngest will put her hair in a bun sometimes too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I thought about a bun too! She’s not a great swimmer so it might actually stay almost dry in a bun. Maybe when we have less time that could be an option.

Quote Originally Posted by georgiegirl View Post
    Swim cap? Ds2 has curly hair and he prefers to wear a swim cap otherwise it’s long and in his face.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I’m a swim cap girl—leftover from being on swim team. I don’t know if that would work for DD though. I can see the cap getting stuck/ DD not being very cooperative...

Agree w the braid. You can try a Lycra cap if you just want something to keep her hair out of her face. It won’t pull her hair like silicone or latex.

Wet it with non-chlorinated water, not pool water. ��

There’s a new pre-swim leave in from Shea Moisture that goes on dry hair. I haven’t tried it yet.

The clear, stretchy coil hair holders are more gentle on curls than regular elastics. They hold mine in a messy bun pretty well. They have tiny ones now that should work on braids.

Wash it with a gentle low-poo as soon as you can after swimming.

doberbrat is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by bisous View Post
    So... wet and condition prior to swimming and then braid. Yeah, that sounds like it would reduce tangles and probably keep it healthier too! Her curly hair is so susceptible to drying out!
    Its important to wet it with plain not pool water first. Helps the hair soak up less chlorine that way.

Until last Sept, I had nearly waist long THICK CURLY hair. This is how I managed it with nearly daily swimming. I would also put it up in a bun since my hair was long enough but a bun doesnt work for me if I'm actually swimming. Only if I'm just goofing off in the water type thing.

I cut 15in off so this summer, I'll be rocking a ponytail
    dd1 10/05
    dd2 11/09
    and ... a mini poodle!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast