Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Longshot ?: Are VRBOs Legal in Toronto??

DH and i are planning a trip to Toronto this October. Does anybody know if VRBOs or airbnbs are legal? I have conflicting info. The Fodors guidebook lists them as lodging options but I saw something on a city website that said they will rule on this in August 2019. Of course, there are listings--but that doesn't mean they are legal. Thanks for any help!!
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05
    Percy--the wild furry child!!! 2022----
    Simon--the first King Charles cutie 2009-2022
    RIP Andy, the furry first child, 1996-2012

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Ask on Trip Advisor. I remember in past threads you don’t like those forums but they’re lots of people and you should get a fast answer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good idea--there are very opinionated people there but they know their stuff!!!
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05
    Percy--the wild furry child!!! 2022----
    Simon--the first King Charles cutie 2009-2022
    RIP Andy, the furry first child, 1996-2012

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Or ask on the Toronto subreddit

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

mmsmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

You could also call or email the Toronto tourism board or housing authority ( or whatever the equivalent of those agencies would be)

https://www.reddit.com/r/toronto/com...eak_around_in/

I get most of my news from reddit.

They are currently legal, but the city is concerned as the vacancy rate for rentals is nonexistent for residents, but short term rentals are abundant. Some condo boards prohibit owners from short term rentals (aibnb) so some owners ask the renters to use a side entrance or not mention to the door man that they are renting.

So, yes, they are legal, but do your research. Hotels are so expensive and having an apartment is very appealing.

Remember that the 2nd Monday in October is Canadian Thanksgiving, so that will be a busier weekend. It's also in the middle of peak leaf season up there, so will be very pretty.

My understanding is that they are legal now, but the City of Toronto is meeting in August to discuss possible new regulations. It would likely take several months (at least) to implement the regulations even if they were approved.

The issue is that people are buying condo units (which are in short supply), not living in them and renting them out through Airbnb and VRBO. Neighbouring condo owners who live in their units aren't happy about this (there have been issues with renters partying, being loud/obnoxious, damaging property).

Here are a couple of articles:
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbc.ca/amp/1.5121557
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.the...t-at-year.html

We've stayed at two different Airbnbs in Toronto in the past year. Both were condos. We had no issues with either one, but we were advised not to interact with/ask questions of the concierge.

ETA - was posting at the same time as mom2binsd
    Last edited by moosemama; 06-23-2019 at 07:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by moosemama View Post
    My understanding is that they are legal now, but the City of Toronto is meeting in August to discuss possible new regulations. It would likely take several months (at least) to implement the regulations even if they were approved.

The issue is that people are buying condo units (which are in short supply), not living in them and renting them out through Airbnb and VRBO. Neighbouring condo owners who live in their units aren't happy about this (there have been issues with renters partying, being loud/obnoxious, damaging property).

Here are a couple of articles:
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbc.ca/amp/1.5121557
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.the...t-at-year.html

We've stayed at two different Airbnbs in Toronto in the past year. Both were condos. We had no issues with either one, but we were advised not to interact with/ask questions of the concierge.

ETA - was posting at the same time as mom2binsd
    Apparently what moosemama experienced (the don't talk to the concierage instructions) is basically a sign that the condo doesn't allow airbnb, and those are ones that would be more likely to be pulled/cancelled. I feel bad for the condo owners who have to deal with rowdy guests (not saying you're going to be rowdy). I have friends in Toronto and they say finding a place to rent anywhere is getting to be impossible and airbnb is partly to blame.

If you can find a small apt/garage apt/guest house not part of a large condo you might have fewer chances of getting it cancelled.

Quote Originally Posted by mom2binsd View Post
    Apparently what moosemama experienced (the don't talk to the concierage instructions) is basically a sign that the condo doesn't allow airbnb, and those are ones that would be more likely to be pulled/cancelled. I feel bad for the condo owners who have to deal with rowdy guests (not saying you're going to be rowdy). I have friends in Toronto and they say finding a place to rent anywhere is getting to be impossible and airbnb is partly to blame.

If you can find a small apt/garage apt/guest house not part of a large condo you might have fewer chances of getting it cancelled.
    It's funny though - the one that gave very specific instructions not to interact with the concierge was managed by a real estate firm just down the street from the condo that seemed to have dozens of units for rent. As a result, it was a very well run, efficient process to book and pick up the keys and the condo was well stocked with beverages, toiletries etc. I think this is the problem though - it's not just individuals buying condos to rent, it's property management groups that in the past would have rented the units to long-term renters but are now renting them short-term to make more money.

I'm curious - is this an issue in major US cities as well? I love staying at airbnbs instead of hotels, but I admit I didn't consider the negative implications they were having on rental markets until recently.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast