Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by moosemama View Post

I'm curious - is this an issue in major US cities as well? I love staying at airbnbs instead of hotels, but I admit I didn't consider the negative implications they were having on rental markets until recently.
    Planet Money did a great podcast episode about Airbnb and it’s impact on New Orleans. Here it is: https://www.npr.org/sections/money/2...eans-vs-airbnb

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I think it's becoming an issue in the US as well. I know the lack of affordable rentals or even just rentals is drying up. As well, neighbors are getting tired of less desirable guests who party, make a mess, over run the community pool etc. I believe San Francisco does not allow them?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

It's illegal in my city because housing is in short supply. I ended up booking a hotel in addition to a VRBO--because if Toronto decides in August that they are illegal, I need a fallback plan. I don't ever stay in condos when I do VRBO. I always stay in an apartment in a house or the whole house. I found one in Toronto that is an apartment in a large Victorian home. I think they should be illegal in high rise condos-who wants tourists trooping in and out of your house? I have seen the articles about people throwing things from the balconies or throwing up off the balconies, etc.

I just reported 2 illegal VRBOs in my neighborhood--one advertises that it sleeps TWENTY people!!!!!! The other sleeps 14. Where the hell are those people going to park? In our neighborhood, you can't even rent out your downstairs if you live in the house. This is not the place for VRBOs. But if you look on the websites for my city, there are tons of short term rentals. They only enforce it if somebody complains and VRBO/airbnb won't take down the listings. So I now check out to see if short term rentals are legal where I want to stay.
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05
    Percy--the wild furry child!!! 2022----
    Simon--the first King Charles cutie 2009-2022
    RIP Andy, the furry first child, 1996-2012

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."

Thanks for the link and info. I'm curious what Toronto will decide to do.
    StantonHyde - I hope you have a wonderful trip!

Quote Originally Posted by moosemama View Post
    Thanks for the link and info. I'm curious what Toronto will decide to do.
    StantonHyde - I hope you have a wonderful trip!
    Thanks! We have been to Vancouver, Montreal, and Quebec--so we are looking forward to Toronto and the wine country between there and Niagra on the Lake.
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05
    Percy--the wild furry child!!! 2022----
    Simon--the first King Charles cutie 2009-2022
    RIP Andy, the furry first child, 1996-2012

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

As an Ottawa native, I hope you get there sometime, as the capital it has so much to offer, with some amazing nature close by as well. I bet you'll love the Niagara wine area.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by StantonHyde View Post
    Thanks! We have been to Vancouver, Montreal, and Quebec--so we are looking forward to Toronto and the wine country between there and Niagra on the Lake.
    Niagara on the Lake is beautiful! The Shaw Festival is still on in October if you are a theatre fan: https://www.shawfest.com/.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2