Default Scotland in June??

So next year I am planning a 2 week trip to Europe for our family (kids will be 15 and 17). I don't want to fly more than 15 hours (we are flying from Utah). I don't want too hot (Southern Spain) or too cold (no Iceland!). I really want to go to Scotland for some reason. Edinburgh plus countryside seems amazing to me. We took the kids to London/Dublin 2 years ago and had so much fun. They love history and museums and then they loved the Irish countryside. We could get all of that in Scotland. I also like the whole English speaking part of it-easier to navigate and read the signs etc. (We took them to Italy in November and everyone was fine but it really is easier when you speak the language) I know it will be rainy and not really warm and sunny. We were prepared for rain when we went to London/Dublin and we had 2 weeks of sun--I know that was lucky. The other consideration could be a tour of Germany--focusing on castles and countryside and one city or something like that.

If you have been to Scotland--did you really like it? Could you stand all the rain? Thanks for any ideas!!
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05
    Percy--the wild furry child!!! 2022----
    Simon--the first King Charles cutie 2009-2022
    RIP Andy, the furry first child, 1996-2012

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."

jillmk is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

We went to Scotland in April last year and absolutely loved it! We were lucky with weather--it was 50's and 60's with almost no rain the whole week. When it did rain it didn't last long, and the many many rainbows made it worth it. All of us want to go back--we just fell in love.

We arrived on a Saturday morning, and spent Saturday and Sunday in Edinburgh. We toured the castle, walked through the gardens, wandered the little streets, visited Camera Obscura, National Museum of Scotland, Royal Mile, etc.

We did not want to drive, so on Monday we joined a bus tour through Heart of Scotland tours--the Grand Tour of Scotland. It was amazing! I won't describe in detail, because you can read it here: https://www.heartofscotlandtours.co....ur-of-Scotland The tour went up through the highlands which was so beautiful. Highlights included Culloden, standing stones, Achmelvich Beach, Skye, etc. We saw Glenfinnan Viaduct (Harry Potter), Glencoe, Loch Ness, etc. It was a really great mix of history, nature, culture, etc. We spent two nights in Inverness and two nights on Isle of Skye.

We returned to Edinburgh late Friday, and spend Saturday at Palace of Holyrood House and climbing Arthur's Seat. Departed Sunday.

Edinburgh was fun, but the traveling through the Highlands had most of the trip highlights for the adults and the kids (they were 12 and 14 at the time). When we go back we'd like to spend more time on Skye and in the Highlands.

Thanks! we will definitely rent a car and drive. We did that in Ireland and DH did a great job!! I checked out the Queen's schedule for Holyrood and it looks like we will need to go the first 2 weeks in July to avoid her visit.
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05
    Percy--the wild furry child!!! 2022----
    Simon--the first King Charles cutie 2009-2022
    RIP Andy, the furry first child, 1996-2012

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."