Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    NCGrandma is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

This is an interesting discussion. Many years ago, a local pediatric dentist offered free checkups and cleanings to the kids at DC's daycare. For several years, he never found anything that needed work. Then we had a health screening staffed by dental school and medical school faculty members. A dental school faculty member found that DC had several cavities which were clearly not recent, and recommended we go to our (very well-regarded) general dentist, who agreed that there were indeed several neglected cavities. So this was the opposite of the "fill everything that might possibly be a cavity right now" experience PPs have reported. Of course, this was many years ago...

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains

petesgirl is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I, too, would seek a second opinion. We are not great at brushing and even worse at flossing and my almost 8 yr old has had 3 cavities that needed filled.
    I just ordered some xylitol toothpaste from Amazon.
    Mama to :
    DS1 (July 2011)
    DD (Feb 2014-June 2015)
    DS2 (Apr 2017)

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view...Until you climb inside his skin and walk around in it."
    --Atticus Finch (To Kill A Mockingbird)

elbenn is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by essnce629 View Post
    I'd get a second opinion and consider using a toothpaste with xylitol. Xylitol actually kills the bacteria that causes cavities, strep mutans. Without the bacteria in their mouth they can't get cavities. I had 2 cavities as an adult when using traditional fluoride toothpaste. 10 years ago I switched to xylitol toothpaste and haven't had a cavity since. My kids have never used fluoride toothpaste and have never had a cavity. Their dentist is always extremely impressed with their teeth at each visit and always asks us what products we're using. I've asked her why dentists don't tell their patients about xylitol products and she says because they're more expensive and harder to find.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk
    I added xylitol mouth rinse to my routine thinking that xylitol would be a good addition but I kept my same toothpaste. Do you have any idea if the mouth rinse would have the same effect? Does it need to have a certain percentage of xylitol to work?

ray7694 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I would get another opinion. Sometimes you can wait until baby teeth fall out rather than get a filling.

Also I would get sealants out on the molars of the baby teeth as they don’t come out until age 12.
    Once adult teeth are in we get all sealants done.

Good luck. I have horrible teeth just like my mom.

JElaineB is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I agree with the second opinion and the xylitol. I would go all out with the xylitol, toothpaste, mints, mouth rinse, gum, etc (though if it causes any gastric distress like diarrhea you may need to cut back a bit - doesn't happen to everyone). I like the Spry and Now Xyliwhite brands, but there are lots of others. Just make sure you don't let any dogs near it.

It may be that your kids are prone to cavities or maybe your dentist is being aggressive with treatment. Seeking a second opinion may be the only way to know for sure and I think it's time that you do so.

Ruling out other causes may help as well if the problem remains. In our case, DS2 started having multiple dental problems - like 8 cavities identified at one visit. Of course some of those spots were already noted and we were watching but it was awful facing 8 cavities at once. We too were doing everything right with brushing and flossing. Turns out that a medical issue was causing everything. Our amazing dentist started suspecting a larger problem and long story short, DS was eventually diagnosed with GERD. His teeth are looking much better - clear dental visit last week YAY! - after getting his meds and diet straight. Not saying this is your situation, but it never would have dawned on me that DS had GERD causing his problems. He didn't really complain and has always gained weight well.
    Mom to Two Wild and Crazy Boys and One Sweet Baby Girl

basil is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Will definitely look into xylitol.

Got more details later from DH. One of the cavities he wants to fill is in between her front two top teeth...that cavity has been there at least 2 years and it seems like she will lose those teeth in another year or so anyway.. my son lost his front teeth around age 6-6.5. So I’m not sure the utility of that.

Will have to set up a second opinion. Sigh.

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by PZMommy View Post
    Can you recommend a toothpaste to look for? I’d be interested in trying. My youngest has bad teeth due to daily use of inhaled steroids, and I’m willing to try anything!

Quote Originally Posted by elbenn View Post
    I added xylitol mouth rinse to my routine thinking that xylitol would be a good addition but I kept my same toothpaste. Do you have any idea if the mouth rinse would have the same effect? Does it need to have a certain percentage of xylitol to work?
    Both the Spry and Xyliwhite toothpastes contain 25% of xylitol.

Quote Originally Posted by JElaineB View Post
    I agree with the second opinion and the xylitol. I would go all out with the xylitol, toothpaste, mints, mouth rinse, gum, etc (though if it causes any gastric distress like diarrhea you may need to cut back a bit - doesn't happen to everyone). I like the Spry and Now Xyliwhite brands, but there are lots of others. Just make sure you don't let any dogs near it.
    I've read that 3 exposures to xylitol a day is ideal. So 2 brushings plus gum for instance. All of us usually just have 2 exposures, though I'll often take some toothpaste in my mouth with a little water to use as a rinse after a nap, before leaving the house, etc. We used to use Spry brand toothpaste for years and loved it, but now they've changed the formula and we dont like the new one. We now use Xyliwhite toothpaste and DS2 also uses the Xyliwhite cinnamon mouthwash. We do like the Spry gum. Since switching to xylitol toothpaste I also now have very little plaque/tartar buildup. My kids go to the dentist every 6 months but I didn't go for 4 years last time and the hygienist said it's looked like it had only been 6 months.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

Liziz is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

With your older child -- have all his cavities been in his baby teeth, or has the problem continued into his permanent teeth?

We are exceptionally careful with our kids' teeth -- when our pediatric dentist goes through the list of "what to do/what not to do" we're always doing everything right....and still DD has had several cavities (as dx by multiple different dentists, even). I was so upset. DD's dentist told me that DD's baby teeth have bad/weak enamel....that it's nothing we're doing, but some people just have stronger enamel than others. She also said that weak enamel in baby teeth does not necessarily mean adult teeth will be the same way.....so fingers crossed!

However, I have also personally had the experience of going to a dentist, being told I had a ton of cavities that needed to be filled ASAP, then going to another dentist who said that he could find *maybe* one cavity. So there is a very wide spectrum of diagnosis and treatment suggestions! I would definitely get a second opinion -- that can't hurt at this point! You might be going to a non-scam, but very proactive, aggressive dentist right now....and perhaps would be happier with one who has more of a "wait and see" style.
    Lizi

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3