Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Need dog help

She needs 2 30-60 minutes walks a day at that age/size.
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05
    Percy--the wild furry child!!! 2022----
    Simon--the first King Charles cutie 2009-2022
    RIP Andy, the furry first child, 1996-2012

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."

For the chewing, try Himalayan treats. We get ours at Petco. We have a 23 lb power chewer and he can finish one in a day or two. We use it as a distraction when he chews his nails.

Labrador Mom here. Agree with StantonHyde, the issue here is exercise. Playing in the yard should be in addition to 2 long walks a day. Seriously. My dogs all get 30 minute brisk walk in AM and again in PM. It is good for their health (both physical and mental) and decreases unwanted in-home behaviors like the destructive chewing you are seeing.

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoNDMom View Post
    Labrador Mom here. Agree with StantonHyde, the issue here is exercise. Playing in the yard should be in addition to 2 long walks a day. Seriously. My dogs all get 30 minute brisk walk in AM and again in PM. It is good for their health (both physical and mental) and decreases unwanted in-home behaviors like the destructive chewing you are seeing.
    It’s the easiest solution. (And free!)
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

trcy is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

OP here, ITA! Now to get the DCs on board

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Baby Bargains mobile app
    DD 12/10
    DS 10/15

dogmom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

One of my several Labs was from a field retriever line. He was the most prolific chewer until he started retrieving a Kong. Lab breeders say the stronger the chew instinct the stronger the retriever instinct. I don’t know if it’s true for all Labs, it it was for mine. We live on a hill and we would throw that thing off the deck, it would go down a 800 ft driveway, he would run and get it keep doing it for as long as we would throw it. So if you can be your dog to retrieve even 10-15 min in the yard can blow off a lot of energy. The kids can do it also. I know someone that had his dogs trained to run a treadmill for exercise.

The other issue is separation anxiety. I adopted a 6 yo Lab that had horrible separation anxiety. He would try to eat when we were gone. Undid slide locks to get into garbage, broke through kitchen cabinet door once, there was no kibble bin that he was unable to open. (Seriously, I think that dog could crack a safe to get to food if I was out.). The only thing that finally calmed him down was getting another dog. I realize that’s not a good answer.

Could you put the dog in one room that she could feel safe in? Is there one room she likes better than others? Could you crate her and have someone come during the day? I understand the instinct not to crate, all my dogs eventually managed to get un-crate trained and trained to lie on couch. My current Lab spent 6 months sleeping in a crate, never making a wimper, and one night on our bed she acted like she had never seen that crate before. We did alway feed her in that crate start with, so maybe that would help?

doberbrat is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by trcy View Post
    Yeah, I thought the puzzle toys would be pretty useless. Like I said, she would just chew them up to get the food. We take her out in the backyard and play with her anytime before we leave. We have a toy that a dog trainer made for active dogs. It's hard to explain, but it's like the cat toys on a stick, only bigger. She chases that thing until she is exhausted. She's a mix. She's got some husky, some lab, some who knows what in her.
    The toy sounds like a flirt pole. They're great but she clearly needs WAY more. You have 2 active breeds there at peak 'teen' age. There's a reason why so many dogs between 18mo & 2 end up at shelters - they're no longer puppy cute but they often regress in training, behaviors what have you. (NOT saying you're getting rid of her, just saying it can be a tough age).

A husky can run fore miles - many labs can as well. I doubt that even a 30min walk will be enough. 2 30min walks in addition to playing with the flirt stick would be a starting point. To be honest she probably needs to run. I'd start jogging on soft surfaces if you can. start super slow - 1 block at a time and add slowly alternating with walking so walk a bit, run 1 block finish the walk. in a few days, add a 2nd block.

And seriously, go back to the crate. Or put her in a hallway/bathroom etc where she cant get to the couch.
    dd1 10/05
    dd2 11/09
    and ... a mini poodle!

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by trcy View Post
    Yeah, I thought the puzzle toys would be pretty useless. Like I said, she would just chew them up to get the food. We take her out in the backyard and play with her anytime before we leave. We have a toy that a dog trainer made for active dogs. It's hard to explain, but it's like the cat toys on a stick, only bigger. She chases that thing until she is exhausted. She's a mix. She's got some husky, some lab, some who knows what in her.

It's a flirt pole. We have one for our doggo. We used a horse whip and a cheap walmart dog toy tied to the end. Tires them out REAL quick.
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

Kindra178 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

We crated our lab mix til 4. She couldn’t be trusted to not her herself or destroy things.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

trcy is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by wendibird22 View Post
    It's a flirt pole. We have one for our doggo. We used a horse whip and a cheap walmart dog toy tied to the end. Tires them out REAL quick.
    Quote Originally Posted by doberbrat View Post
    The toy sounds like a flirt pole. They're great but she clearly needs WAY more. You have 2 active breeds there at peak 'teen' age. There's a reason why so many dogs between 18mo & 2 end up at shelters - they're no longer puppy cute but they often regress in training, behaviors what have you. (NOT saying you're getting rid of her, just saying it can be a tough age).

A husky can run fore miles - many labs can as well. I doubt that even a 30min walk will be enough. 2 30min walks in addition to playing with the flirt stick would be a starting point. To be honest she probably needs to run. I'd start jogging on soft surfaces if you can. start super slow - 1 block at a time and add slowly alternating with walking so walk a bit, run 1 block finish the walk. in a few days, add a 2nd block.

And seriously, go back to the crate. Or put her in a hallway/bathroom etc where she cant get to the couch.
    Yes a flirt pole, that is exactly what it is!When we got the wisdom panel back and saw husky and lab we were a bit, um... disappointed. Those two breeds are supper high energy and have to be kept busy. No, we won't be getting rid of her, she's family (though I'd be lying if I said the thought never entered my mind lol).
    I have thought about running her but I am not sure how, logistically, until the fall when both kids are in school. Any thoughts?
    My concern with putting her back in a crate is she was becoming very resistant to it. Refusing to go in, digging and scratching in it, chewing on the bars, I am afraid she will really hurt herself. We have tried putting her in a bathroom (both with the door shut and a baby gate and she chewed and badly scratched the door and baseboard. I thought about maybe confining her to a bedroom, but all of the bedrooms have newer/nicer furniture and I don't want her destroying that. I couch was already old and in poor condition, so if anything get destroyed, I guess that is the best option.

DD 12/10
    DS 10/15

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast