Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Need dog help

Momit is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Crate her when you can’t supervise her. Every dog is different. Our almost 4-year-old terrier can’t be trusted alone for 5 minutes. The 2-year-old dog is completely fine without being crated.
    DS age 9

doberbrat is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by trcy View Post
    the fall when both kids are in school. Any thoughts?
    My concern with putting her back in a crate is she was becoming very resistant to it. Refusing to go in, digging and scratching in it, chewing on the bars, I am afraid she will really hurt herself. We have tried putting her in a bathroom (both with the door shut and a baby gate and she chewed and badly scratched the door and baseboard. I thought about maybe confining her to a bedroom, but all of the bedrooms have newer/nicer furniture and I don't want her destroying that. I couch was already old and in poor condition, so if anything get destroyed, I guess that is the best option.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Baby Bargains mobile app
    Well, your dd is old enough to watch ds for 15 - 20 min right? Or, go at night when its cool and ds is asleep. I LOVE walking after midnight.

I do not run. I bike with my dogs - 1-3mi/day. (my dogs are 13 & 9 so that is plenty) That has to be done before dark. when dd2 is at the playground, I can ride laps around the track while she's playing. Obviously, she is MUCH older than your ds but maybe your dd could 'watch' ds while you run around the track? Or, dd could run up and down the block while you supervise? Or ds could ride a scooter/bike while you jog?

for the crate, I'd say give more than 1 kong w/different flavors. Also seems like there is some anxiety - my cousin has used these with her dog for flying and mine when I left them in her NYC apt and they were hysterical. Seemed to help. https://www.chewy.com/zesty-paws-str...ming/dp/159489 There are other hemp products available that people have said can be helpful.

if it makes you feel better, I have to crate my 2 if we leave for 2 min. Teddy suffers from anxiety and has taught Princess all sorts of bad habits .... not furniture eating but they get onto the table or counters or anywhere where there is or has been food and eat stuff. Like dd1's back pack and 3 in school binder.
    dd1 10/05
    dd2 11/09
    and ... a mini poodle!

Does she have any opportunities to run?

My dog is a crazy goldendoodle who is still plenty energetic, but was insanely energetic for the first two years. She was so much better behaved if she got two 30-minute walks a day plus a play/run session. Now she can get by with shorter walks as long as she has at least one play/run session a week (though she's happier and better behaved if she gets more than that). She's 3.5 now. Because my dog has terrible recall (we have worked on it, and still are, but so far it's still terrible) and can run so far so quickly, I don't take her to off-leash areas at parks. But there is a fenced in area at a nearby park (it's a bike hockey court, looks like a tennis court but no net) where I take her to run. We usually go with our neighbor and her dog, but if they can't go for a week or so, I'll take her alone. Because she has the attention span of a gnat and is not very motivated by balls, fetch only lasts a few minutes and I always end up having to go get the ball myself quite a few times. But she will still run around like a crazy loon just because she can. If she runs for even 5 minutes, she'll be a different dog at home the rest of the day.

Also, she is a power chewer too and has shredded many toys. For years I was constantly on the hunt for chew toys she couldn't kill herself with, and that wouldn't cost a fortune. The ones that work best for her are antlers from Mountain Dog Chews. She also likes the Himalayan dog chews.

Chew drive is a very interesting thing. My Labs are English style and have Hunt titles, so they are excellent retrievers. They do not chew anything. They love toys and always (gently) carry them around. I wish I could give suggestions about how to diminish the chew drive, but I really just think the only thing you can do is to increase exercise. I personally have never biked or run with my dogs (however they can run freely in a huge fenced yard). I just don’t want the OP to be discouraged from starting brisk walks because she thinks she needs to run/bike with the dog.

Doggie day care a few days per week may also be helpful during this “peak energy” time...just check out the place thoroughly (safety, cleanliness, all dogs with documented vaccination, etc.).

babyonway is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by trcy View Post
    l
    I have thought about running her but I am not sure how, logistically, until the fall when both kids are in school. Any thoughts?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Baby Bargains mobile app
    My DD is newly 9 and walks our 60 lb golden doodle every day (that was the deal we made when we got him a year ago, she started when we got him). He is strong puller so we have a gentle leader collar and a leash that goes around the waist.

She did it every day before school and now does it before camp. We mapped out a path that was close to the house and she just goes around the path we mapped out 4 times it is about 1.5 miles total. She has recently started running with the pup but that is very recent (and inconsistent LOL) She has a gizmo watch now but has only had it for a month. Prior to that we used walkie talkies to stay in contact during the walk.

In the evening I run with the dog between 3-5 miles when DD is in activities. If she doesn’t have anything going on she will ride her bike with me or hang with the neighbor boys.
    Mama to my sweet lil girl (Summer 2010)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3