jgenie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default ISO Summer meal ideas

We have a pool and I find we like to swim late afternoons. The sun has warmed the water and we’re relaxing after having been out during the day. Last night we swam until 7:30 then inside to dry off, shower and change. I had taken fish out of the freezer but didn’t start cooking until 8:15. That’s really late for us to be eating dinner. I would love ideas for quick, easy, nutritious dinners that I can prep or prepare ahead of time for after we swim. TIA

almostmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I'm trying to eat lots more veggies. One thing I made this week that can be quick and easy was I quickly sauteed garlic, ginger, and scallions. Then added a bunch of veggies from the fridge - snap peas, red peppers, mushrooms, asparagus, kale, carrots, and sauteed for a few minutes - really all dente. I put a soy/fish sauce/rice vinegar sauce together and poured it over, with some tofu I'd quickly pan fried. I put this all over rice noodles which barely need to cook. So yummy, and if the veggies are cut up in advance, could be really quick.
    I also made a salad with beets I microwaved, goat cheese, kale and arugula. Drizzled it with olive oil and vinegar and salt. You could add chicken, but I didn't. You could add chickpeas, carrots, cukes. A toasted baguette.
    Grilling is good in these situations too - corn, sausages, portabellos, bread, burgers.
    Liz

DS 11/03
    DD 12/05

One of my favorites is quinoa with arugula, feta, slivered almonds and dried blueberries. I use the Brianna’s homestyle blush wine vinaigrette (with the strawberry on the front) with it.

Another one we do a lot is chop red onion, cucumber, tomato, avocado, snow peas, peppers, etc and use the same dressing on it. We sometimes add grilled shrimp or chicken and make French bread crostini to go with it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mommy to my 2 sandy boys

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

**If you live in the New England area and want to join the local Yahoo group for BBBers, please PM me for more info!**

Our family love pasta with marinated tomato sauce. http://www.molliekatzen.com/recipes/...e=tomato_sauce

You can make the sauce ahead of time. You can even make the dish and keep it in the fridge until serving.

KpbS is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

hummus and veggies/chips to dip
    burgers on the grill with corn, salad
    K

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Taco salad! Make the meat earlier in the day and put in the fridge with beans mixed in. Then add whatever toppings-- cheese, lettuce, tomatoes, guacamole, salsa, sour cream, diced avocado. We're on our second night of eating taco salad!
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Is there any chance you'd want to pack it up and take it to the pool, if you're at home beforehand? We've taken burgers, quesadillas, beef n broccoli, anything we'd take for lunch TO the pool as our family can't wait until 8pm to eat. This year our first practice was at 6, so we were able to eat a quick dinner at home when DH arrived, then bike to practice. It was such a relief not to have it be an issue.