Thread: Australia????

Default Australia????

So now my family is lobbying to go to Australia in 2020. We have 2 choices--either the last week of June/first week of July or over Christmas break. I can see pros and cons to both. On the one hand we do not do heat and humidity---we are desert folks who wilt easily in humidity :-) On the other hand, I don't know that we want to go when it is getting dark at 5:00 pm--but maybe it doesn't matter. We would have a little less than 2 weeks--more like 10 days--once you factor in all the flying time etc. We would fly from Salt Lake to LAX and then to Sydney???? I have to get a guidebook and start doing research.

But if you have been--what were some of the highlights or your trip? We are not really beach people--we do like to snorkel. We are interested in history and art and would enjoy getting to know more about aboriginal culture. We would be ok with being in one area for a week and then another area for the next week. We are fine with driving around but would rather avoid a different hotel every night type of trip.

Obviously, I am at the very, very beginning stages of trip planning. Just trying to figure out when to go and what general locations. TIA for any ideas.
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05
    Percy--the wild furry child!!! 2022----
    Simon--the first King Charles cutie 2009-2022
    RIP Andy, the furry first child, 1996-2012

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."

mmsmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

We are going this December over Christmas. If you don’t want to spend time at the beach then July would be fine. We are visiting friends in Sydney and December was better for them to take time off work. But, getting flights then was really difficult. We were finally able to make it work but it took many hours. It is much cheaper to fly in July and will be less crowded. We are doing the Great Barrier Reef for 2 days which requires a flight from Sydney. There are some suggested itineraries here:
    https://www.lonelyplanet.com/austral...3695237/362249

From the US you can fly from LAX or Dallas. You can fly to Sydney, Melbourne or Brisbane from LAX.

Thanks. I think we will probably look at June/July--cooler, less crowded, etc.
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05
    Percy--the wild furry child!!! 2022----
    Simon--the first King Charles cutie 2009-2022
    RIP Andy, the furry first child, 1996-2012

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."

cuca_ is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

We went to Australia about 4 years ago. We went the last week of June and spent two weeks there. It was an amazing trip and we had wonderful weather. We had a bit of rainin the blue mountains, but it eventually cleared up.

We flew to Sydney and spent a few days there. Then flew to Cairns and stayed in Port Douglas. We did two different reef trips. We snorkeled in the inner reef. This was amazing. It was a smaller boat and so fun. Then we went on one of the larger boats to the outer reef. We also zip lined and went to a small zoo where you could hold a Kohala and feed the kangaroos. We flew back to Sydney, and went to the Blue mountains. We did a beautiful hike with a wonderful tour guide. Then we went to Canberra to visit family and back to Sydney again.

In Sydney my DH and older kids climbed the bridge. We also did a family surfing lesson in Bondi beach, and that was a ton of fun. We also took the ferries all over. We really loved Manley beach.

In addition to the Opera House, we enjoyed walking in the botanical gardens nearby. We also went to a museum that we all enjoyed, but I can’t remember the name off the top of my head.

You will love it!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk