Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default Dress me for hiking!

Do you guys want to spam me with images of cute hiking looks? I’m going to be in the sierras this summer and some trails will still have snow on the ground and others will be in valleys that are quite warm! What are some great looks? I’ll probably follow up with requests with how to make the look work.

For reference I’m cheap and I can hike with the best of them but have never felt like my wardrobe really worked for me!

I do have good footwear. Merrell hiking boots and Nike running shoes. I’m thinking pants/longer shorts, t-shirts, hats etc.

Thank you!!

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I just wear what I wear to the gym. I only do day hikes and haven’t found a need for hiking clothes. My workout stuff plus my trail runners and Camelback are good enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    I just wear what I wear to the gym. I only do day hikes and haven’t found a need for hiking clothes. My workout stuff plus my trail runners and Camelback are good enough.

I did some google and Pinterest searches after I posted here and that’s what I’ve mostly seen! Which is nice because I have a couple of pairs of nice leggings. Maybe I can get a nice “wicking” t-shirt to go with and I’m good?

Anyone have a good recommendation for a hat or visor to wear on the trail?

niccig is online now Clean Sweep forum moderator

Default Dress me for hiking!

I’d get a wicking t/shirt for sure. Target has them, I’ve also picked up Adidas or Nike wicking t shirts at Marshall’s/Nordstrom Rack. I find workout leggings to be too hot for me hiking. I have Capri length pants from Athleta that are very light and I think they’re wicking material. There was a post a few weeks ago about suggestions for utility pants. I wear mine all the time in Summer, so not just hiking. There’s also shorts that are wicking material. I’d take a fleece jacket for the colder hikes. I just wear a baseball cap. You could get gear from REI if you want, they have sales and their own brand is cheaper than say North Face. I have some of their wicking t/shirts as did a 2 week road trip last year visiting several national parks. I wear the shirts now to workout or just during the day at home. Not sure they’d be considered fashionable but they’re comfortable and that’s what I most care about when I’m hiking. You could also check out a sporting store like Dick’s Sporting Goods. They have workout and hiking clothes, plus they have coupons.

ETA: REI are having a sale for 4th of July. I just got am email

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    Last edited by niccig; 07-01-2019 at 01:14 PM.

Ms B is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I like the Tilley Endurables hats for hiking. Not especially fash, but light, ventilated, a bit water resistant and lifetime guaranteed. We bought one for DH when we went to Morocco 10 years ago; I absconded with it for hiking etc. and it is still going strong!
    DS - "The Biscuit" 8/11
    Forever ours 4/12!

Check out Sierra Trading Post for cheap deals on trail runners or hiking shoes. Just don't wear regular road running shoes--you'll slip and slide. Trail runners, a backpack, a hat (I just use a wicking baseball cap style), a wicking shirt and then I do wear hiking shorts. I don't like leggings--I like baggy fit and running shorts are too short and not durable. You need something you can wear when sitting in the dirt and possibly butt sliding down a difficult descent. I like mine from LL Bean or the REI convertible shorts/pants. Most importantly!!! Google "10 hiking essentials" and always have those with you. Carry a whistle in your pocket, not your pack. That way if you get lost going to the bathroom (its happened) you can signal for help.
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05
    Percy--the wild furry child!!! 2022----
    Simon--the first King Charles cutie 2009-2022
    RIP Andy, the furry first child, 1996-2012

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by StantonHyde View Post
    Check out Sierra Trading Post for cheap deals on trail runners or hiking shoes. Just don't wear regular road running shoes--you'll slip and slide. Trail runners, a backpack, a hat (I just use a wicking baseball cap style), a wicking shirt and then I do wear hiking shorts. I don't like leggings--I like baggy fit and running shorts are too short and not durable. You need something you can wear when sitting in the dirt and possibly butt sliding down a difficult descent. I like mine from LL Bean or the REI convertible shorts/pants. Most importantly!!! Google "10 hiking essentials" and always have those with you. Carry a whistle in your pocket, not your pack. That way if you get lost going to the bathroom (its happened) you can signal for help.
    That’s why I like leggings- if I slide down on my butt, nothing’s getting in. Loose shorts? Stuff ends up between skin and shorts.

Thank you so much for helping!! I wore my fitness leggings because that's what I already had. I bought a few cute wicking t-shirts from Costco of all places and bought an Adidas ball cap that actually fits my head on sale at Big 5. I felt comfortable and appropriate on my hikes and it made a difference! We hiked 4 of the 5 days on my latest vacation to the sierras.

I can see how a pair of dedicated hiking pants or shorts might be nice on some hikes. I missed my pockets but liked the ease and flexibility of my leggings. I somehow managed to get 5 mosquito bites through my leggings too!

niccig is online now Clean Sweep forum moderator

Quote Originally Posted by bisous View Post
    Thank you so much for helping!! I wore my fitness leggings because that's what I already had. I bought a few cute wicking t-shirts from Costco of all places and bought an Adidas ball cap that actually fits my head on sale at Big 5. I felt comfortable and appropriate on my hikes and it made a difference! We hiked 4 of the 5 days on my latest vacation to the sierras.

I can see how a pair of dedicated hiking pants or shorts might be nice on some hikes. I missed my pockets but liked the ease and flexibility of my leggings. I somehow managed to get 5 mosquito bites through my leggings too!
    Wicking material makes all the difference to me. I find leggings too hot, so that’s why I wear capri length pants in wicking material.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

Yes--pockets!!! I have gotten to the point that i just buy men's hiking shorts/pants. leggings are not durable--the ones I have seen rip easily. I want looser fitting men's shorts with lots of pockets. So frustrated with women hiking gear--I don't care how "cute" my rear end looks when I am lugging a 40 pound pack over a mountain pass or out of the Grand Canyon. I need FUNCTIONAL.

So glad you found stuff that worked for you and it sounds like you had a fun trip!
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05
    Percy--the wild furry child!!! 2022----
    Simon--the first King Charles cutie 2009-2022
    RIP Andy, the furry first child, 1996-2012

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast