klwa is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Check engine light

Well, my car has been acting up for about a month. It spent a week at the shop only for them to say all it needed was an oil change, when the oil had been changed less than a week before.

This morning, my check engine light came on. Told DH, and he thought I should be fine to go into work today and we'd take it back to the shop this afternoon. Yeah. Had to stop & get gas, and my car decided it was tired. Engine wouldn't turn over. Nothing. So, I got to spend about an hour waiting on AAA to tow it. And now DH has to leave work early because I have a dentist appointment this afternoon.

I really wish I had stood my ground & insisted that we take it in this morning even if it meant I'd be late to work because, guess what! I was anyway! *sigh*
    -Kris
    DS (9/05)
    DD (8/08)
    DD (9/12)

daisyd is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Sounds awful! Sorry you're dealing with this. I hope your car is fixed soon

I'm not sure I could resist the "I TOLD YOU SO!" Even if I didn't say it, my DH would be able to read it all over my face. What a sucky way to start your day, sorry.

BTW, I found my mechanic, who is great, on the cartalk.com site. Just in case you want a new one.
    Last edited by TwinFoxes; 07-09-2019 at 10:22 AM. Reason: typo
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Ugh i hate car problems. Was it not starting before this? I just replaced the starter in my car as it would take a couple tries to turn over, at first it was only occasionally but it was happening at least 3 times a week. Of course it started fine with the mechanic. I videoed it happening and was able to show him. I’m going to video future problems as the car always works for the mechanic

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

JBaxter is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Last time mine did that was because after my oil change they didnt get the filter on right and my van had no oil in it. Make sure they check that
    Jeana, Momma to 4 fantastic sons

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions

klwa is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Thanks, all. Honestly, I think there's a short somewhere in the electrical system. We've replaced the alternator recently, and about 2 months ago, it started flashing lights while parked if I got near it with the key. DH thought the battery in the key needed to be replaced, and that seemed to help, but little weird things kept happening. Then it started "ticking", which is when they decided that it needed an oil change that had been done a week before. Per what I can find, the ticking noise often means an issue with low oil, but when we checked it, the levels were fine. DH now thinks the newish alternator went bad, but I wonder if there's not something more that would make two alternators die this quickly.
    -Kris
    DS (9/05)
    DD (8/08)
    DD (9/12)