Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    doberbrat is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    Question- if she's going into jr high and asked for a Jansport, why not get her one (assuming you can afford it)? Don't look at the other brands- just carry on with the requested item. I know it stinks to leave money on the table (aka not deal hunt) but worth getting what she asked for on this one since it's a good product.
    This. I am assuming the ones at TJ Maxx are a decent price already. Provided it has sufficient padding for heavy loads, go with it. Sounds like she isnt hard on backpacks.

dd1 could always keep backpacks for a couple of years. I'm happy if dd2 can get 1/2 a year out of one. To be fair, she's been known to climb trees with them and put them in the tree while playing keep away with friends but still.

One thing dd1 appreciated in MS is having a laptop pocket. The chromebooks do come with a padded case, but its easier to deal with it if you can slide the whole thing into the backpack. Esp in inclement weather. Between the violin, the 3in binder, a water bottle, and a personal reading book, and the chromebook, there is alot to carry!
    dd1 10/05
    dd2 11/09
    and ... a mini poodle!

ahisma is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

My boys got Osprey backpacks last year (4th and 6th grade), after using REI bags all through elementary. The Osprey bags still look brand new after a year of hard use. We use them for travel too.

ang79 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Question- if she's going into jr high and asked for a Jansport, why not get her one (assuming you can afford it)? Don't look at the other brands- just carry on with the requested item. I know it stinks to leave money on the table (aka not deal hunt) but worth getting what she asked for on this one since it's a good product.
    I don't mind getting a Jansport, but I am also a deal shopper. Really, $30 is the max I'd like to spend on a backpack, since I have two kids to buy for and they will need other school stuff as well as new jeans, etc. for fall clothing. I know Jansport is good quality. The ones I have seen at Ross, TJMaxx, etc. all are the Superbreak model, which does not have an exterior water bottle pocket. I will look again once it gets closer to school and see if they have a bigger variety then. I was just wondering other good quality brands to keep an eye out for (if she decides she likes something else), or best places to get good deals. Previously they have mostly used Garnet Hill bags, as I got some really good deals on those a few times (and the Adidas one she used the past two years came from clearance at Kohls). They held up well K-3, but the padding on the straps couldn't handle the load of books and binders they carried in 4-6 grade.

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Yes to this! Even though Dd1 used her own money to buy her backpack last year she has not complained about it and maybe it is because she had 100% control over what she got (I did advise her that a dark design would stay cleaner than a white or lighter color) she has not complained once about her backpack and I also think there is pride there knowing that she picked it out on her own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

Kindra178 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by ang79 View Post
    I don't mind getting a Jansport, but I am also a deal shopper. Really, $30 is the max I'd like to spend on a backpack, since I have two kids to buy for and they will need other school stuff as well as new jeans, etc. for fall clothing. I know Jansport is good quality. The ones I have seen at Ross, TJMaxx, etc. all are the Superbreak model, which does not have an exterior water bottle pocket. I will look again once it gets closer to school and see if they have a bigger variety then. I was just wondering other good quality brands to keep an eye out for (if she decides she likes something else), or best places to get good deals. Previously they have mostly used Garnet Hill bags, as I got some really good deals on those a few times (and the Adidas one she used the past two years came from clearance at Kohls). They held up well K-3, but the padding on the straps couldn't handle the load of books and binders they carried in 4-6 grade.
    I don’t think you are going to find a big enough backpack that she loves and it works for $30. In ms, that binder is thicker than the child, plus books, plus lunch box. Also, you may end up buying another backpack if straps can’t hold up to that load. You need something that is built to last and has enough depth to accommodate a ton of stuff that weighs a lot.

If 30 is really your max, does she have the ability to contribute another 30-40?

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Well, we've had really good luck with PB backpacks but my kids aren't super rough on things. The best part of the PB backpacks is that the water bottle holders are made from the pack fabric with only a little mesh on the sides for drainage...to me that's the key to longevity because mesh bottle pockets rip apart way too easily with the way kids drag their packs over concrete!

This year we went with this JanSport:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...e?ie=UTF8&th=1

It only has a water bottle pocket on one side, but fit my requirement of having it made largely from the backpack material with just a little mesh on the sides, similar to the PB backpacks. I would prefer 2 water bottle pockets (an umbrella could go in the other side) but we've been fine with just the one. My kids love these packs. They come in very cool colors, they hold A LOT (they are actually quite large), are compartmentalized well with no cheap velcro closures (I HATE velcro!) and look brand new after 1 year of use and a trip through the washing machine. My ONLY complaint is that the storm flaps are wide and if you're not careful, you can catch the zipper on them. It's actually a rather big complaint of mine. The PB backpack zippers are FAR superior, with nothing to catch, still keeps out water, and very quick to zip closed and open without worry. Also - no chest strap but my kids are big enough now to not really need one.

eta: I always see a handful of various JanSports at Nordstrom Rack.
    Last edited by twowhat?; 07-12-2019 at 08:58 PM.

ciw is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by ang79 View Post
    I don't mind getting a Jansport, but I am also a deal shopper. Really, $30 is the max I'd like to spend on a backpack, since I have two kids to buy for and they will need other school stuff as well as new jeans, etc. for fall clothing. I know Jansport is good quality.
    The JanSport Big Student backpack is on sale at Kohl's for 47.99 today and with code OUTDOORS30, the price comes to $33.59.

I bought a Nike backpack for $17 at the Nike Outlet last week. It's the first time I haven't bought a Lands End for back to school, but it looks like decent quality.

ciw is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

Also, Amazon has the JanSport Big Student Backpack for 27.99 in the Bright Summer Chevron and Cloud Wash patterns. The Black Sketch Dot and Navy Field Floral patterns are $29.99. Looks like other patterns are on sale too; I didn't click through them all.
    Last edited by ciw; 07-12-2019 at 09:05 PM.

If you have Prime, I'd wait until Prime Day.
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

ang79 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by ciw View Post
    Also, Amazon has the JanSport Big Student Backpack for 27.99 in the Bright Summer Chevron and Cloud Wash patterns. The Black Sketch Dot and Navy Field Floral patterns are $29.99. Looks like other patterns are on sale too; I didn't click through them all.
    Thanks! I did see some on there. She has decided that she is OK using her Adidas bag again, unless she sees a Jansport pattern she absolutely loves (because I told her if we buy one this year, its gotta last several years, and she is picky on style, color, etc.). We may check Ross and Marshals while we are in town today. And I do have the free Prime trial right now, so I will check out prices on Prime day at Amazon.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast