Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Question- was her hs Spanish class honors? Ds1, due to scheduling reasons, had to take regular vs honors Spanish 1 and the kids in there made the class pretty sucky compared to what he was used to in his honors classes (more behavior problems). Could that have been a factor? If so, could she take honors level instead?

Wonderful! I’m crossing my fingers that it all works out! I’m sure if she’s on board, all will be well!

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

JustMe is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Great job on finding a solution that seems to be working! I hope it continues to go in that direction!

I completely relate to your post. I have a 16 year old dd and , although our issues are different, there is such a struggle over her feeling like she should have freedom/complete choice over things"because I am 16" and that some of these things have such long term consequences, I completely disagree and will step in.

I agree that this is a battle worth fighting, so hopefully this continues to work out. If not, Spanish in school and the consequences that make that happen if necessary.
    lucky single mom to 20 yr old dd and 17 yr old ds through 2 very different adoption routes

Globetrotter is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

My kid doesn’t want to take four years of Spanish because the teachers in our school are pretty bad. However, since he wants to apply to some selective colleges, especially liberal arts colleges, I think four years is a must. For us this would be non-negotiable, especially if it involved $30k that was otherwise easily attainable (as it appears to be in her case)!

I’m so glad she seems to be on the right path now. It could also be that she was a bit overwhelmed and didn’t know how to voice that and move forward.

squimp is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Have you talked with her about college costs and debt? I feel like that is a really important conversation to have early and often. She might really regret it if she wasn't eligible for this small reason. Is it $30k per year? That is a huge chunk of change either way - a car, part of a house down payment.

I would treat this like something you have to do, for example You have to do so many hours to get your drivers' license, it is not optional. It sounds like you have a plan.

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default WWYD regarding stubborn teenager and her high school curriculum choices?

I haven’t read all of the responses.

I would let her take another foreign language and she has three years to take two years, right? She could take another year of a foriegn language this year and next year. She is 15 years old and will have her whole college career to learn another language if need be if she doesn’t take Spanish this year.

Imho foreign languages are tough and you have to get them and enjoy studying them.

We live in California so Spanish for us makes sense but if my kids want to study something other than Spanish I get it. I took French in high school and I was given the choice by my parents and I really liked being able to make choices about my education.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by AnnieW625; 07-13-2019 at 01:50 PM.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

KpbS is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Great update!! She can totally do this.
    K

Quote Originally Posted by mom2binsd View Post
    Can I ask why at 15 she is taking so many AP classes? We have many bright students who go to excellent colleges, but more and more AP isn't the only way to get in and the stress is killing so many kids. What does he school counselor say about her course load? I'd also maybe involve the school counselor in some of this?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Who said she was taking so many AP classes? I said she is taking a mix. She had one this past year as a freshman. Next year she is taking two. Her choice, not mine. She is taking them in subject areas that interest her. I advised her not to do that, since it will increase her workload. She is in the AP Choice program at her school which require her to take 6 over the course of 4 years. She insists she still wants to continue with this program, despite me telling her it is not necessary. But I don't think that is a crazy amount. Her AP class this year really was pretty manageable and she managed to get a 4 on the AP exam with a weekend of studying for the final. She didn't study for any tests during the year and got an A in the class.
    Marcy

DD1 2003
    DD2 2005
    DD3 2009

To to poster who asked if it was Honors Spanish or not, I believe it was Honors.
    Marcy

DD1 2003
    DD2 2005
    DD3 2009

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by jerseygirl07067 View Post
    Who said she was taking so many AP classes? I said she is taking a mix. She had one this past year as a freshman. Next year she is taking two. Her choice, not mine. She is taking them in subject areas that interest her. I advised her not to do that, since it will increase her workload. She is in the AP Choice program at her school which require her to take 6 over the course of 4 years. She insists she still wants to continue with this program, despite me telling her it is not necessary. But I don't think that is a crazy amount. Her AP class this year really was pretty manageable and she managed to get a 4 on the AP exam with a weekend of studying for the final. She didn't study for any tests during the year and got an A in the class.
    At our high school it is rare for a freshman or sophomore to take any AP classes, honors yes, but not AP classes, which was why I asked.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast