Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Default horseback riding and rafting in Yellowstone and Grand Tetons

I'm having a hard time figuring out which experiences to choose - separate horseback riding trips in Yellowstone (Canyons area, Roosevelt cookout, saddle and paddle places in Gardiner?) and rafting in Jackson trying to do it all in one place schedule multiple activities (like the float trip too?). Any recommendations or BTDT experiences?

Rafting in Jackson--go through Barker Ewing--one of the best in the business. Have rafted with them for 30 some odd years. I prefer the whitewater trip out of Jackson vs. the Float trips. Float trips are boring IMO. You see wildlife on the white water trip and the rapids are fun! I don't like going with all in one "adventure centers" because they don't always use the best folks. I don't know about Yellowstone or Gardiner. I would not do 2 river or 2 horse back riding trips. I would do horseback riding in Yellowstone and then rafting in Jackson. Unless your family looooves those activities and wants to do as much of that as possible.
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05
    Percy--the wild furry child!!! 2022----
    Simon--the first King Charles cutie 2009-2022
    RIP Andy, the furry first child, 1996-2012

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."

We did both horseback riding and rafting while staying in Jackson. Used our time in the parks for seeing the thermal features/canyon and hikes. The traffic inside the park is insane in July and August is insane due to huge crowds and bison blocking roads (mating season). It’s really difficult to get to a certain place by a certain time and wildlife doesn’t have a assigned time for rush hour. None of these issues outside the park.

We also only did white water trip, float trip sounded boring and long.

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

We ended up with 2 horseback outings in Yellowstone. I didn't make the cookout from Roosevelt reservations early enough and could not get horses, despite calling often. So we did the wagon and I reserved Canyon horses. When we checked in at Roosevelt, I asked if there were horses and there were 2! So I got those and had to figure out which kid got to go with DH. Later when we checked into the cookout for the horses/wagon, there were more openings for horses, so both kids got to go (DS2 did not want to at all). But by then it was too late to cancel Canyon without a big penalty (or maybe too late completely). So they did both. They really liked both trips and saw different things and different areas. While I might not do it on purpose that way, having 2 worked out.

We did the float trip in Tetons. I'd have liked the rapids, but DS2 really didn't want to. Maybe another time he'll be ready for more adventurous things. We enjoyed the float trip and didn't think it was boring. Although I can see how others would.
    Kris

WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Great!!! Thank you all for info. I’ve got a better idea of who to call now and what to aim for! Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

andie16 is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by KrisM View Post
    We ended up with 2 horseback outings in Yellowstone. I didn't make the cookout from Roosevelt reservations early enough and could not get horses, despite calling often. So we did the wagon and I reserved Canyon horses. When we checked in at Roosevelt, I asked if there were horses and there were 2! So I got those and had to figure out which kid got to go with DH. Later when we checked into the cookout for the horses/wagon, there were more openings for horses, so both kids got to go (DS2 did not want to at all). But by then it was too late to cancel Canyon without a big penalty (or maybe too late completely). So they did both. They really liked both trips and saw different things and different areas. While I might not do it on purpose that way, having 2 worked out.

We did the float trip in Tetons. I'd have liked the rapids, but DS2 really didn't want to. Maybe another time he'll be ready for more adventurous things. We enjoyed the float trip and didn't think it was boring. Although I can see how others would.
    How was the cookout from Roosevelt? We aren't staying there until next summer, but I thought that might be fun our first night.

How far in advance do you recommend making reservations?

Thanks!
    Andrea
    dd 19
    ds 16
    dd 13

Quote Originally Posted by andie16 View Post
    How was the cookout from Roosevelt? We aren't staying there until next summer, but I thought that might be fun our first night.

Thanks!
    You need to make lodging reservations as soon as you can for next summer. I reserved in October for July and still couldn't get all the nights I wanted in various locations. So do that ASAP. And I would probably make the other reservations as soon as you can as well. You can always cancel them. The reservations for places outside the park don't need to be so far in advance. It's just that the park has limited lodging and a really high number of visitors who are all there for the same thing.
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05
    Percy--the wild furry child!!! 2022----
    Simon--the first King Charles cutie 2009-2022
    RIP Andy, the furry first child, 1996-2012

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."

Thanks!
    I called in early January for mid-July and couldn't get what we wanted! So, now? Lol. You can always cancel if you need to.

We enjoyed the cookout. The food was fine and we saw some animals, which was fun. I thought there would be more entertainment than there was. it was pretty casual. i think there are better evening/dinner programs that this one, but we did enjoy getting off the road more and seeing a part of Yellowstone we wouldn't have otherwise. DS2 and I rode the wagon and it's quite dusty. They encouraged the kids to sit in the front row, but then the driver ended up right in front of DS2, so he could see nothing on the trip out. He snagged a better spot for the way back.
    Kris

andie16 is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

Thanks for the helpful info! I do have lodging reservations for Yellowstone, but not for Grand Teton as that doesn't open until a little later. Also still debating if we want to stay in GTNP or stay in Teton Village or Jackson.

I guess it does make sense to just make a reservation for the horseback riding/cookout and any other activities we are considering and then cancel if needed/as plans evolve.
    Andrea
    dd 19
    ds 16
    dd 13

Thanks for the helpful info! I do have lodging reservations for Yellowstone, but not for Grand Teton as that doesn't open until a little later. Also still debating if we want to stay in GTNP or stay in Teton Village or Jackson.

I guess it does make sense to just make a reservation for the horseback riding/cookout and any other activities we are considering and then cancel if needed/as plans evolve.
    We really liked Signal Mountain Lodge in the Tetons. The restaurant was decent and looked out over the lake to the mountains. And there were benches outside of the main lobby where DH and I sat and and enjoyed a beer while the sunset. The kids were in the lobby playing board games and watching some TV. Plus, there were 3 beds!
    Kris

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast